Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have enjoyed asking questions for the past week or so, so I figured that it was time that I do an intro...

I always naysayed WLS. Then about 6 weeks ago while waiting in a dr office with a daughter I read an article on lapband. I was immediately interested. Lapband as opposed to other forms of WLS addressed all of my reasons for not being interested in WLS.

I didnt think it an option as I was not a 40BMI, in fact several points off.

Right about that time my oldest got her permit to drive and they asked her height....she didnt know so they measured her and I was stunned because I knew how tall *I* was, and she and I were nearly the same eighth and they were saying that she was shorter than THAT! So I hesitantly told them that they were wrong...they contended back that they were not, long stort short, I was measured that day (and several times in teh next few days) and I am SHORT. Well, a full 2 inches shorter than I thought...which also means that I am fat...as in my BMI qualifies me.

The joke in our house is that in one week I got short, fat and old. (This all happened the week I turned 41 ;)) (I know, that 41 isnt OLD per se and that a BMI of barely 40 isnt near what some people have to deal with, bu to *me* that is how it felt)

The next week I had a checkup and lo and behold I am also now diabetic and my BP, always 90/60 is now reading 130/mid 80's. :phanvan

Time to do something...for good, as opposed to what usually happens where I lose 30-40 lbs and gain it right back again.

Except that I have not been this weight for 5 yrs which the insurance company mandates.

And the insurance requires a 6 month diet at which point we will have been transitioned to the insurance at my husband's new work which excludes WLS altogether.

So, my dh has committed that we will do the lapband even if it means taking out a home equity loan on our already paid-for home. We have applications out for loans and we are just waiting to see what we will do. Our plan is to use Dr Wilkenfeld in Conroe, TX.

We are hoping to have more children and the goal is to get this done SOON as time is not on our side for many more children.

I am not telling people that I know, not even my older children at this point because I do not want to be disappointed if/when it doesnt work out. I fel like I am holding my breath right now. Even if/when we DO proceed I am not inclined to tell anyone. We already get lots of prying questions about personal decisions that we have made such as our family size, homeschooling, etc, so I dont feel like adding yet another reason for people to feel like they can weigh in withtheir opinions.

Anyway, sorry for the tome. I SO appreciate having this place to come and learn.

Welcome to LBT (officially)!

If price is an issue, there are some great docs out there that are fairly reasonable. For example, my surgeon's office (in MI) charges about $19K, a really really skilled doc down the road about 45mins charges a package price (inc first year visits/fills) of about $12,800. Then there is lapbandrockies.com where Dr. Kirschenbaum in Denver charges a little under $12K. If you would be willing to go to Mexico (that is where you will find some VERY experienced band surgeons-Ortiz, Aceves, etc...) you can get a wonderful package price of around $8K-9K. The key to going anywhere other than your home area for surgery is that you HAVE to set up a doc for fills and follow-up BEFORE your surgery. Many docs won't touch another surgeon's band. The good news is there are some great docs out there who gladly fill other's bands. And there is a company fillcentersusa.com that does fills.

I wish you luck!

And I concur about not telling ANYONE about your surgery. I told only my parents, DH and two friends who have been thinking about it themselves. I just don't want the "food police" or the naysayers to disturb my zen.

One of the reasons that we chose Dr Wilkenfeld (besides being fairly impressed with his experience) is that he offers a reduced cash fee ($12,900) that we found reasonable that includes fills and followup for a year and then a reduced fill rate for after the first year. And he is local to us to boot.

Good for you in your choice to do the "band"! When you say that you have dieted before and lost 40-50 lbs, was this not documented in your medical records? For me, I had to turn in copies of past 5 years medical records which showed my trials and failures at weight loss. This took place of the 6 months dieting regimen. I had tried OTC weight loss products, diet pills and exercise programs. All this was in my records as I cried the blues when those darn scales "weighed heavy" at the doctocs office.

I too, decided to keep quite about my choice to do this. My husband, mother and favorite sister-in-law know and are super supportive. Other than that, only the thousands of supporting lapband web-friends know!

In truth, having had a baby every other year the only doctor's appts that I have records of are during pregnancy from my OB. I kind of kept my head in the sand the rest of the time, figuring what would they say "hey, you look great but you gotta lose some weight?!" (until recently although I spent my entire life obese i was in good health) I have years of weightwatchers weigh in cards but not 'doctor' weigh ins.