Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I feel like sightseeing?

Question for any of you that have had the surgery in Mexico or are planning on it.

I am going to fly in a day early to San Diego so that I can get a day of sightseeing in pre-op. As it looks right now, I'll be having surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana MX on Tuesday, back to San Diego on Friday - I was hoping instead of flying out that day that I could get another day of sightseeing in also - but don't want to spend the extra money if I'm gonna feel like doo doo. :P Thoughts?

I didn't have surgery in Mexico but did have the sleeve done in December, and know San Diego like the back of my hand. It's my home away from home! :) I don't think you'll feel much like walking that soon after surgery, and for me, it hurt to sit for long periods so I'm not sure how much "sight seeing" you'll be up for. You'll be on Clear liquids at that point to, so dining out or even smoothies my still not be an option. If you had a hotel by the bay though, you might enjoy lounging on the grass, being near the Water, and getting a little sunshine. You might like to also go to Coronado, or Balboa park, put out a blanket and just read and relax. I think it'd probably be best to skip the beach with new surgery incisions. Best of luck on your surgery! :)

I spent an extra day in San Diego after my surgery, just because I had to due to the flight schedule. I stayed in my hotel room with the curtains shut, sleeping and watching TV. I was definitely NOT up to getting out and walking around and site seeing. Everyone is different though. I have heard about people having their surgery in TJ and then going all over town, shopping, and visiting markets and such before they even cross back into the US. It's tough to predict how you will be feeling.

I didn't have surgery in Mexico, but I felt like death for pretty much the entire week after surgery. I stayed inside, in bed, with the AC on and the lights off. If someone had made me walk around outside for sight seeing purposes I would have been completely miserable. Not only does it feel uncomfortable to walk, but for me I was so completely exhausted that I actually walked on a treadmill for 10 minutes at a time the first few days after surgery, then went right back to bed. I think it was less the surgery itself that was an issue and more the fatigue from not being able to eat anything, combined with the anesthesia.

Like Jamie said, everyone is different, but I can tell you there is no way I would have wanted to do anything remotely requiring me to be out of bed functioning like a normal person a few days after surgery. I had a hard enough time just sitting at my desk and typing reports that first week.

Oh goodness.... yikes! Now I'm kinda worried. I'm going back to work a week later.... but I had a "mommy makeover" before & was back to work in a week... drains & all! I consider myself a tough bird but sounds like I'm underestimating the recovery time :unsure:

Oh goodness.... yikes! Now I'm kinda worried. I'm going back to work a week later.... but I had a "mommy makeover" before & was back to work in a week... drains & all! I consider myself a tough bird but sounds like I'm underestimating the recovery time :unsure:

Well, if you've had a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair as part of your mommy makeover, this is a thousand times easier than that. I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair back in 2011 and I couldn't even get out of a hospital bed or use a toilet by myself for DAYS afterward. With the VSG, I was in and out of bed and to the bathroom on my own the same day as my surgery, no problem. I mostly felt tired and gross, but nothing like the pain I was in with my TT. So if the TT was easy for you then VSG should be REALLY easy. One thing you won't know for sure until you have the surgery though is whether or not you'll have severe nausea and vomiting. I did not, but another girl who had her surgery the same day as me with the same doctor had it bad. Everyone is different.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was EASY! Lol!!! That was ROUGH... Worth it, of course, but just saying.... ROUGH! Every time I coughed or sneezed I had horrible muscle spasms due to the muscle repair (OUCH!) The morning after I literally could not believe they didn't keep me in the hospital. Walking was INCREDIBLY painful. I went like 6 feet and was like um, yeah, let's get back in bed. ????

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll get a hotel with a view near Balboa Park or something like that. ???????? if I don't feel like it, then at least I'll have a pretty view ????

By the way... I'm thinking of bringing some zofran ODT with me! I have trouble with nausea after anesthesia anyway. I don't wanna deal with that! And phenergan knocks me OUT.

Anyone else bring meds from home to help? I'm a RN so I feel comfortable self medicating... Just don't wanna experience horrible nausea & vomiting!

@@RNsleever715 If you are going to OCC and using Dr. Ortiz, he will prescribe you some anti-nausea meds for 14 days post-op, so you shouldn't have to bring your own.

Great! Any idea what it is? I'm like a traveling pharmacy... I'm always scared I'm gonna need something ????

@@RNsleever715 If you are going to OCC and using Dr. Ortiz, he will prescribe you some anti-nausea meds for 14 days post-op, so you shouldn't have to bring your own.

Great! Any idea what it is? I'm like a traveling pharmacy... I'm always scared I'm gonna need something

Unfortunately, I don't remember off the top of my head. I am sure I still have it written down somewhere at home. But if you email OCC (they should have sent you an email with all the contact info for various topics) I am sure they would give you a list of all the stuff they prescribe post-op. It seemed like a pretty standard set-up. There were 5 of us there the day of my surgery and they just had ready-made bags with all the drugs and printed instructions in them that they handed out to each of us.

Edit: I called it my "bag o' drugs" and when I went back across the border to the US, I had it out of my suitcase, just loosely carrying it. I put it through the x-ray like my other bags and the border guard didn't even look at me sideways. I thought that was pretty funny!

Great! Any idea what it is? I'm like a traveling pharmacy... I'm always scared I'm gonna need something

Unfortunately, I don't remember off the top of my head. I am sure I still have it written down somewhere at home. But if you email OCC (they should have sent you an email with all the contact info for various topics) I am sure they would give you a list of all the stuff they prescribe post-op. It seemed like a pretty standard set-up. There were 5 of us there the day of my surgery and they just had ready-made bags with all the drugs and printed instructions in them that they handed out to each of us.

Edit: I called it my "bag o' drugs" and when I went back across the border to the US, I had it out of my suitcase, just loosely carrying it. I put it through the x-ray like my other bags and the border guard didn't even look at me sideways. I thought that was pretty funny!

I asked her on the phone a few weeks ago when I scheduled. She said "it's Mexican medicine" ???? I was like uhhhhh....

I am very sensitive to meds, so she's gonna have to be a little more specific than that! Lol!

My hubby used to have problems with anesthesia, until an anesthesiologist gave him Benadryl before a procedure. Since then (10 surgeries since then) no problems! The anesthesiologist said it works on different receptors to avoid nausea. I am not a doctor, and I obviously can't give medical advice, but it's something you could ask your doc about. Several of my husband's surgeons said they didn't know anything about that, but the Benadryl was ok with them.

I always tell them prior to surgery that I have severe nausea - they always give me something for it. Maybe it is Benadryl! If I don't get it (whatever it is) I have serious nausea and vomiting. I have a sensitive tummy! ???? I'll be glad when most of it is GONE lol

I am very sensitive to meds, so she's gonna have to be a little more specific than that! Lol!

Don't ask your coordinator. Ask Dr. Jimenez or Dr. So. You should have gotten their contact info in the email containing all the various phone numbers and email addresses. My coordinator was completely useless (no offense to her!). I never contacted her at all once they sent me that list of other contact information. I contacted the doctors, nutritionist, and travel coordinator directly.