Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet drinks and coffe with artificial sweetener question......

The future use of these two will be what for me as I progress into pre-op bypass and onto post-op life after bypass ?

I have over six months before the surgery which is enough time to make huge changes......but ouch ! :). I really enjoy these products n daily life.

What are the dangers and reasons for eliminating them?

Open to advice how you did?

I have committed to making all the changes needed......not just the "easy" ones, but I could use some help with better understanding the rationale for this one and getting my arms wrapped around it.

Love my Diet Dews and home brew Java made from fresh ground Beans.< /p>

Love them more than the Snicker bars and pizza that made me the man I am today .

Every surgeon and dietician will likely have a different answer for you. My surgeon is ok with 2 cups of caffeinated coffee/day and has been since 2 weeks post-op. I have one or two cups in the morning, I add Benefiber to one cup so I have no guilt about it. I also drink 16 ounces of Water with it. I will also have a Decaf, sugar free mocha Americano in the afternoon many days but add a scoop of unflavored Protein and call it a win. I use Splenda, I know there have been studies saying artificial sweeteners increase cravings for sugar, cause cancer, make the dog bark at the wind and are the reason for global warming. I'll risk it. ;-)

Edited by goodnuff

The carbonation is the issue w soda- there won't be room in you stomach - which will be the size of an egg- for the bubbles. Better to ween off it now.

Good luck!

I had a huge Diet Dr Pepper habit (like 4 to 6 a day). I just couldn't give it up until the last few weeks before surgery when I knew it was getting real. I just didn't see why it was necessary so I couldn't commit. The carbonation is the issue post surgery. My understanding is the gas created by the bubbles will stimulate your stomach to make you think you can hold more than you can which eventually leads to eating more which leads to stretching your stomach back out. I will say that I was glad that I stopped the sodas (mostly) a couple of weeks before I went on my pre-op liquid diet. I had a major Migraine and it would have really sucked if I had to deal with that at the same time as feeling so crummy from cutting out all the sugar on the liquid diet. So, my advice is cut back if you can - or just wait until you have no choice. :) For what its worth, I think there are a rare few drs who say carbonation is ok in moderation post-surgery but at minimum you have to wait 3 months. it is still not recommended but allowed in small doses (slippery slope for me, so I plan to still abstain)

Re artificial sweeteners, I think they must be pretty ok because the stuff the NUTs recommend all seem to contain these - sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello, Propel Fitness waters flavored, G2, etc. etc. After the surgery, you will find you have very little room for anything other than Protein and Water, so by then, you will just naturally cut back on the unnecessary since you just flat won't have room for it.

My advice, start changing I little thing per week now and getting adapted to that habit - such as stop drinking 15 minutes before, during and 30 minutes after a meal or eat Protein first and then veggies and then fruit / carbs or just start drinking 64 oz of Water every day and if you have room left, you can have a soda. Things like that. the more habits you have changed slowly before, the easier they will be after.

Thanks to each of you.

I'm hearing you loud and clear.

My six months doesn't begin until mid July.

I'm going to push myself to have my diet soda intake cut off by then.

Days off will be easier than work days.

coffee is something that I'm going to have to hang onto for the time being.......at least until I meet with my surgeon and NUT and broach the subject with them to find out the timing of future coffee stoppages.....temp or long term.

I understand the diuretic aspects of it and the need to offset with lots of Water.

My normal coffee consumption rate is a large cup followed by a large cup and a half of Water.< /p>

I drink a lot of water during the day.

The artificial sweeteners are interesting. I agree with the point that they must be okay.....due to the stated comment above about them already being an inclusion to many allowed products.

Splenda, Equal or Stevia may be causing global warming or pushing us to a Zombie war.......but it's staying in my coffee......which I'm going to leave as caffeinated for now.........

The diet sodas will be tough......but I'll do that NOW vs waiting.

I will also begin working on stopping drinking 30 mins prior to eating........and on eating my Protein first.

I'm sure there will be many other things to cut out that I need to address.

Sooner the better.

Ideally I'll be able to live and eat now more and more closely to the post-op way.

I appreciate your help with the suggestions, insight and rationale.

I'm working a twelve hour shift tonight and I've not have coffee........but......two 20 oz Diet Dews and a 20 oz Diet Dr Pepper.

Whew.....I'd normally have another in an hour or so......before I took a break and read your advice.

Now....I'm going to go for Water instead and see how that goes....????

coffee and diet soda are a big part of my diet too. I'm not having surgery til late fall. I've been trying to cut back. I made my last pot of coffee yesterday and have decided not to buy anymore. We have small kids so we don't keep soda in the house. My problem is work. Soda is so tempting with a vending machine full of nothing but soda. Plus I work 12 hr nights every other weekend so guess what u do to stay awake all night!! I was thinking of trying some hot Decaf teas. Anyone have any suggestions? Propel Water has been very helpful with the soda addiction.

Good call on the Propel.

I really like it as well.

Edited by Dub

Re Decaf teas, I am also supposed to not drink black tea (oxalate which adds to my kidney stone issue) but I found Republic of Tea that has decaf green tea (which I can have) in lots of flavors. There is a decaf green tea Ginger Peach that is really good http://www.republicoftea.com/ginger-peach-decaf-green-tea-bags/p/V01048 and I also really like the decaf green tea Pomegranate flavor http://www.republicoftea.com/pomegranate-decaf-green-tea/p/V00750. (I make mine by the cup and then pour over ice and add some more Water.) There are others I haven't tried yet and if you can drink black tea, there are loads of decaf choices.

Tea sounds doable.

Thanks for the tip.