Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2003 bandsters...

Hey Bobby, we were banded on the same day. I started at 278 and I am now at 245. I am scheduled for my secons fill on 10/30. I also just joined curves and had my first workout. I am hopeful this will jump start a platue.

I am a little jealous of you guys. I was banded on August 1st. (senior of the August bandsters) and am at like a standstill. I have already had my first fill 3.5 cc on Oct. 6th in the AMI band and still feel little to no restriction. I can eat whatever I want still. I don't even know for sure how much weight I have lost or gained because I had my weight taken by 4 different facilities and they all read something entirely different. Oh well, I will hold out hope for my next fill. How are the rest of you August Bandsters doing?

I was banded August 27 and have lost 23 pounds so far. I have had one fill of one cc. I can't tell if I have enough restriction or not. Sometimes it seems I can eat as much as I want. Other times I can eat very little.

Barb

I know just how you feel, I was banded August 5th, lost 17lb in the first three weeks, and nothing since. I have even gained 3lb. I had my first fill on 9/11, he put 4cc in (I have the AMI 11cc band). I felt no restriction at all. I had my 2nd fill last week and he put in another 1.5cc, bringing me to 5.5cc total. There is some restriction now, but nowhere near enough. I am trying not to get discouraged, but it's hard not to. I feel like I am eating everything in site, simply because I can. I need the band to be tight enough to make me stop, but it's not there yet. I need another fill, but at $185 a pop, and 8 hour round trip and a motel stay, I can't bring myself to tell my husband yet that we need to take another trip to the doctor.

Jeanette, I am really, really discouraged now. I just called my fill doctor's office and his assistant informs me that my next visit to his office (which is 4 hours away) will not be for another fill, it is just a followup to see what I'm eating and if I am exercising. I am very disturbed about that. If I could manage my weight with diet and exercise alone, why would I have paid all of that money to get the band put on. So n ow I need to locate another fill doctor. This is like starting back at the beginning.

I read posts from people that say that they can go back to their doctors within days if they have no restriction for another fill and this guy won't even do it after 4 weeks, at $150 without flouro.

Do you know of any good fill doctors in NY, Pennsylvania or in that area? I am thinking that my only option is to fly back to Dr. Sanchez.

Thanks and good luck to you too.

hey bjkgriffith-

i have had 2 fills and have a third scheduled for 10-23 i have 2.2 cc's and still have no restriction. not in the morning not ever. i have pb'd a few times which i had not done until this fill. i have lost 11 lbs since banding. but including the pre op diet 17!! that sounds better! i know why i havent lost. i have been eating what i want. not limiting carb intake. i am still not drinking sugar-y drinks except some juice. but the carbs are killing me!!! when i get good restriction i will start the adtkins diet to jump start my weight loss. my goal is to lose 50 lbs by christmas. i only have 33 to go (i am counting pre-op diet)

Barb, what is the reason your doctor gives for being unwilling to give you a fill? I mean, you should let your 10/6 fill be for several weeks, I think, to see if it does tighten up as has been known to happen. But beyond that you shouldn't be getting resistance from the doctor!

I get the same thing, but I've never actually spoken to my doctor about it. I will be getting my first fill on Thursday and will try to get to the bottom of the surgeons' reluctance then. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I can understand their wanting to let us adjust to a fill, see how we react to it, etc., but several weeks should be enough for that unless there's something I don't know.

As for how this August bandster is doing, much like you Barb, and you aussieoakey. But I'm hoping Thursday's fill will change the picture a bit.

Claraluz, you give me hope that a fill will help, even if it doesn't feel "tight" all the time. Every single opportunity to eat less is what counts.

Barb

Oh that sucks! I would be finding a new fill doctor as well! You are right, if we could diet and excercise, then why would we need the band?? The whole idea is that we know we can't do that, and need the band to control our eating. Without the right fill level, that control is just not there.

My doctor did my fill last Tuesday, one week ago, and told me that if it wasn't right, to come back this week and he would add more. Seeing as we are in the middle of moving house, and also run our own business, going for a fill is not as easy as it sounds when it's 4 hours away. But it just shows you the difference in doctors.

I am in Oklahoma, and not familiar with any fill doctors in your area. Why don't you post on the fill section of this board, asking for fill doctor info in your area? I am sure there are other bandsters in your neck of the woods that could help with this.

Well, I hope everyone gets the fills they need.

Barb, I would be looking for a new fill doc, too. I know you did not go through all this just to diet without the help of the band!

Alexandra, I don't know why I thought you had already had a fill, but I did. Hope your first one does the trick!

Nancy

Barb

I was just re-reading all the August bandster posts, and was wondering if you managed to

a) get your doctor to give you a fill, or

:D find a fill doctor willing to work with you?

I have had 4 fills now, and I am finally at a level that works for me. I have 7.0cc in my size 11 band now. I can eat between 1/4 and 1 cup of food, depending on the time of day (more in the evening). I only got to this level 5 days ago, so haven't noticed significant weight loss yet, but I know this time it will start to drop off.

Hi Jeanette, I found 2 doctors to do my fills, the 1st one wanted to try to control the weight loss with diet and I felt that if I could control it with diet ..... I wouldn't need the band. So I found another doctor that is 5 hours away from my house, but he is really nice. I have had 2 fills, but am not restricted yet. I have the AMI band , which is bigger than the lap band, so I have 5.5 cc right now and am scheduled for another fill on December 1st. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for asking. I have not had any significant weight loss as of yet......still waiting.

Barb

Barb, I want to commend you on your attitude! This could be an immensely frustrating time for many but you seem to be handling it with aplomb. Good for you!! You're a terrific example of how to ride out the pre-fill stage.

We look forward to hearing about a great, successful fill on December 2!!