Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So since I haven't had my surgery yet .. guess I should take Biotin now and increase Protein. . My hair is already thin .. I started applying coconut oil to condition it and it help it grown but my hair has always fallen out .. guess I'll increase coconut oil and Vitamin e routine & add biotin

Anyone tried beef Gelatin? When I was trying the Paleo "diet", that was suggested as something to add to shakes. Not the Knox kind but beef Gelatin, like this http://amzn.com/B000MGR302. It was great for my nails and hair at the time (tho I didn't have Hair loss issues). Also good for joints. And it has 9g of Protein in a tablespoon! I will be adding it to mine to see if I can reduce that side effect

I haven't had surgery yet, but I am hoping that if I have Hair loss it just makes it so my hairdresser no longer needs to thin it for me. My hair is very short and very thick.

Omega 3 is essential. And if you get Coromega squeeze packets, the Orange is like a dreamsicle and is A pudding consistency. It makes it easy to take post op

Edited by little_mrs

I cut my hair short the other day. My hair was showing signs of bad health. She also put a restoration conditioner in it. Have to do it once a week for 15 min. We will see.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I am 2 years out... My hair got really thin for a while and I went with a short haircut... I got lots of compliments... and my hair is still short, but coming back a LOT thicker. Think of it this way, your hair got thin with you ;)

I was extremely worried about hair loss prior to surgery. I started taking Biotin as soon as I could get the NP to support it, and sprouted lots of new hair almost right away. As others have said, Biotin won't keep your hair from falling out, but it will inspire new growth. My thinking at the time was that if I started taking it early enough, the new hairs would be long enough to make the inevitable loss less noticeable, and I was willing to try anything.

At this point, I'm about 6 months post-op and the Hair loss never really happened. I feel like it may have increased in the past week or two, but it's still just a few more strands than normal and not the handfuls / clumps that I feared. For me, it's been a complete non-issue. From what my nutritionist said before surgery, some people lose hair and some people don't, and there's no way to know which you'll be and nothing you can do to stop it once it starts other than just wait for 6-months or so when it'll stop on its own and your hair will start filling back in again.

Juat saw my surgeon and asked about my hair. He said uncrease Protein. Keep taking the Biotin. My primary us checking my thyroid again si the surgeon added zinc too. Biotin is helping a bit. My fingernails are growing again.

I am going into my 10th week. My hair has been good, but I'm super worried. I whacked about 8 inches off when I hit 50 lbs. I have not noticed my hair falling out yet. Im so worried. I have a hard enough time as I am already hypothyroid. I have a friend who sells it works. I may try the hair and stuff.