Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

...Anyone with PCOS please HELP. I was banded two years ago and lost 60 lbs. and then it stopped even though I have not been able to eat many solids and most of my meals are mush and slush...soups, salads with lots of fat free dressing, watery mashed potatoes and Protein Shakes. I gained 20 lbs. and never changed my eating after banding...eat very small amounts of the above, that's all the band will allow. And I vomit sometimes also...doesn't matter what I've tried to eat.

So for the past 1 1/2 years I've not been able to lose weight, most of my fat is in my stomach. Two months ago I went to my doctor, had blood work done and was diagnosed with PCOS and put on meds...Metformin. I've only lost four (4) lbs. in that time even though I hardly eat 1,000 calories daily. And I exercise...some days I bike up to 10 miles.

I need to lose this weight (still weigh over 200 lbs. and am only 5'4")...but nothing seems to be working. Anyway with any information about PCOS, please write to me. Maybe there's something besides the meds I'm taking that will help. Thank you.

Low GI eating has proved itself to the Australian endocrinologists to be the best way of treating PCOS in combination with diet and medication (if med are required)

I have suffered from PCOS my whole reproductive life. Periods every 6 months (maybe more at times) and when they did come - woah! I have 6 cycles worth of period and PMS. The charming excess hair, acne, mood swings, trouble losing weight. The whole nine yards.

Prior to banding, I ate very starchy foods, and did myself, and my blood sugar no favours. I lost very little on Metformin. It did help to regulate my blood sugar and insulin, and that is fantastic, but I lost very little that I didn't gain right back.

My point after all that, lol (I tend to be long winded at times)

PCOS can be managed through a combination of diet, exercise, and if required medication. There are no easy answers, I am afraid. It takes a crap load of hard work to lose with PCOS, but can be done.

I think the stalled weight loss probably has more to do with the Soft Foods Syndrome. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Could you be to tight? The band only works well with solid foods so if you can only eat mushies the band isn't working for you. Mushies will go right through.

I have PCOS and the Met didn't help with my weight loss at all. Everyone said it would help but it didn't. It may sound weird but going on Birth Control did seem to help with my weight loss. I think because it helped a lot with my hormones and when they were in check I didn't eat as much.

I was diagnosed at age 15. Lots of excess hair, weight and mood swings. No acne for me luckly. At some point I did not get a period for 2 years! But usually I would get one between 6-8 months. I am on birth control pills as well as Glugophage, and let me tell this last drug makes it nearly impossible to loose weight. But because nearly everyone on both sides of my family is a diabetic I will stay on it until I have lost weight. I haven't been banded yet but am looking forward to see what happens. Hopefully a lot!

I have had PCOS for about 8 years. Last year, I had a personal trainer for 3 months and was on 2000 mg of Metformin and only lost 2 lbs. But then again, I used to eat a lot of starches. I was worried that I still would not be able to lose weight after the surgery. But since my surgery on April 19th:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

- I've lost 45 lbs<o:p></o:p>

- my total cholesterol went from 302 down to 160 in one month!<o:p></o:p>

- my blood pressure went to 102/65<o:p></o:p>

-not on any medications<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

So I came to the conclusion that it is all about the food you eat (I already knew that, but I had to experience it firsthand to really realize it) <o:p></o:p>