Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I'm 9 days out... had my sleeve on May 26. My trouble is Protein Intake. I am having a hard time keeping it down, and whenever I drink it I have to lie down for about an hour because I literally feel ill. Any advice on how to proceed? Feeling discouraged.

Morning! Sorry to hear you are stuggling. I'm wondering if it would help to drink it REALLY REALLY slowly. That was a hard thing for me to learn as I've been a "gulper" my whole life. Maybe a sip every 5 minutes? I know that is really annoying but might give your tummy a chance to accept it without being overwhelmed. OR maybe try a different Protein....maybe one of the clearer variety that are not as thick....keep trying, you'll figure out how to make your stomach happy!

PS, the laying down might be contributing to the sick feeling....I still can't lay down right after eating anything....

I am 3 weeks post op today and still struggling with Protein intake, I realize the importance of the protein however, I have found nothing that I actually can really handle. If someone could help with one that doesn"t taste bad I would appreciate it. I have tried Premier, Muscle Milk, and a few others. I am wondering if the unflavored Isopure has any taste to it.

There is an Isopure in glass bottles that is a translucent non-dairy type, more like koolaid. It is no-carb and 40 grams of Protein in a bottle. Maybe you could try those. For me at first the Protein shakes were too much volume, the thinner Water consistency of the Isopure was better. Also try different temperatures. I couldn't drink cold at first for about a week. I got much more in at room temperature, then I could drink cold again about 12 days out.

Another clear Protein that isn't "thick" like the shakes is ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrate. It comes in fruit flavors. My program actually gave me packets of it in the hospital where I put the concentrate over a little crushed ice and ate it like a slushie. Now that I am further out I dilute it and drink it like a fruit drink.

ProtiDiet also has a couple of Soups I lived on my first few weeks: Tomato basil and creamy chicken.

In addition, my NUT recommended organic Bone broth as it has more Protein than regular stock.

Keep trying different things. It does get better.

I'm pre-op (surgery date 6/18/15) but I've found it helpful to research online bodybuilding forums for guidance re: Protein. Bodybuilders tend to be pretty obsessed with getting the right amounts and types of Protein, and there are MANY online resources. I pay attention to their comments regarding the purity of the protein, the mixability, and particularly the aftertaste. Currently, my favorite Protein powder is Optimum Nutrition 100% whey Gold Standard. My flavor is Extreme Milk chocolate and I really like it. Let's hope that's still true after surgery!

Here are some of the websites:

powders.html" rel="external nofollow">http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/best-protein-powders.html

http://www.leanitup.com/review-protein-powder-buyers-guide-150-popular-protein-powders-shaken-graded/

Good luck!!

The body building sites are helpful but just be aware that many body builders are trying to gain weight so you need to watch the carbs in their solutions.

Inner Surfer Girl is right about watching the carbs. My Optimum Nutrition powder is 120 cal, 24g Protein, 1.5g fat, and 3g carbs per scoop. My nutritionist seems happy with that.

I ended up doing really good with Syntrax Nectars. They have fruity flavors that you can mix with Water, and seem much lighter than the typical chocolate or vanilla. I am hooked on Cappucinno flavor and I really like the strawberry, Fuzzy Navel, and caribbean cooler flavors too. 90 calories, 23 g Protein, 0 carbs. They might be worth a try.

I tried so many and ONLY like Premier Protein Chocolate!!! It doesn't taste like Protein to me at all...just chocolate milk!