Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Journey as of Week 1 Post-op

Hi All!

I wanted to share some of my story, ask a few questions, and of course, show my first before and after pic! (too early?...hmm...I think it shows!)

So I got sleeved 5/26 with Dr. Nik Sekhar in NY. I wish someone had told me how sad I was going to feel when I got home from the hospital! It felt like I just realized what I'd done, which was that I had officially and permanently given up the "fun" of overeating and emotional eating. I was an emotional wreck for a couple of days. But then, I came out of the fog. Don't get me wrong, I definitely have my moments, especially because I already struggled with anxiety & depression before the surgery. In a way, though, having a relationship with a therapist way in advance is a great tool. I'm getting the hang of the new habits, and my back pain is gone, and my knees feel so much better. And that's after losing only 20 lbs! I'm so amazed at what a difference that relatively small loss has made. When I started, at 5'4 and 312 lbs, I was losing the ability to walk from the parking lot to a store at the mall, and I felt SO down on myself.

So here are some things I'd like to get opinions/answers on:

1) Is it possible to stretch your sleeve by drinking too much/too fast? I am certainly not gulping, but at this stage it's going down easier and I don't want to overdo it.

2) Anyone else having a hard time stretching meals into 30 minute spans? I am usually done after 15.

3) How long did everyone have to stay on mush/puree for? I'm on it for 4 weeks - shoot me! lol

And finally, check out my before & after! I don't know if anyone sees a difference, but I do! And I couldn't be happier.

:)

post-248372-0-10265800-1433384829_thumb.jpg

Hi! I was sleeved on 5 /26 too. I started at 340, had the surgery 320, and I'm below 310 now. I definitely notice a difference already in walking around - It's been a lot easier for me! I have trouble stretching my meals to thirty minutes as well (except when it's a Protein shake - takes me an hour to get one down!), but I'm not going to worry about that until I'm on solid food. It's nice to find someone on here who's struggled with anxiety and depression too and has seen a therapist. I've had one for ten years or so (sometimes on and off), and she's been the biggest source of support for me so far. The last year or so has been really rough with my depression, and having the sleeve to look far to and work toward really saved me. I know my therapist is going to be a huge help in the upcoming year.

By the way, I think you look great and I can definitely see the difference! Keep up the good work. =)

@@Sara51692 thank you so much!

Also, it's kinda cool to know someone else who started around the same weight. I see lots of people who started in, say, the 250's...and I'm totally baffled at what that's like, lol. No judgement though!

I've also been in therapy for a while. It's what finally led me to this decision. My therapist was the first person who had the courage to tell me I looked as awful as I felt!

It sounds like you're doing great! PM me anytime if you need a buddy! :)

Wow!!! I didn't realize its was the same person not to offend you. You look amazing already!!! 20lbs makes a HUGE diff... You go girl!!! Much continued success. My surgery is on Friday, June 5th!

You cannot stretch your stomach with fluids, if you get too much in there it will be forced into the intestine. Only with too much food can you stretch.