Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My fitness pal says I'm not saying enough calories daily... Surgery was 5/27 and I'm not getting more than 500 calories per day... It is a struggle to drink and get the Protein down... 18 pounds lost so far...then when I eat soft foods, stomach is irritated and when I drink, I feel life in stretching my stomach!! Thoughts?

It is normal to not get enough nutrition very early on but you definitely need to keep your fluids up. WAY up. The first couple of weeks are for healing and staying hydrated. You won't starve as long as you follow your doctor's post-op plan for liquids, purees, softs, and then, finally, solid foods again. Before that point you will have started taking your bariatric Vitamins and meeting your Protein goals and all will be well. Congratulations on your surgery, by the way! :)

Sreeves is exactly right. You have to focus on getting your liquids in first and then Protein this early on. You are still swollen in there and it makes it really difficult to take much in.

That means in order to stay hydrated you need to have that Water bottle in hand and slowly sip. Of course when you do have a Protein shake, follow the 30/30 rule.

If you are having a hard time with Protein shakes then you need to use a Protein supplement in your Water.< /p>

I promise you will NOT stretch your pouch by drinking fluids, just take it slow and sip constantly.

Good luck to you!

My Fitness Pal doesn't understand weight loss surgery so don't go by that right now. In fact, don't even follow calories right now. Follow your doctors or NUT's instructions. And drink a lot of water!! Focus on grams of Protein, not calories. Best of luck.

My fitness pal calorie ranges are not for gastric bypass patients, they are for the average dieter. Please enjoy this part of your journey, when you don't need a lot of calories to fill you up. This is where the greatest weight loss happens!