Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help me, Im desperate!

Im losing my hair, very very VERY Badly. Im only 20 years old and I am desperate for anyone to tell me how to stop my Hair loss. I am sitting here bawling as I write this. Id much rather be fat with a full head of hair, then skinny and bald. I dont know what to do. Im taking my Vitamins, im getting in Protein, and im taking a pill called Hair Skin and Nails. Even if I just run my hand through my hair, a handful of hair comes out. How long is this going to last for? Will I eventually go bald? Will I have bald Patches? I am half tempted to get this stupid band taken off of my stomach, It has caused me so many problems and nearly killed me. Please just someone I beg you to help me, Tell me how to keep my hair.

~Hotpink~

Hotpink, the Hair loss is TEMPORARY. I've experienced some hair loss after both surgeries AND after each time I had a child. It's an excuse to cut your hair short (which makes it much less noticeable) and let it grow back thicker than ever before.

I know it's alarming, but it's really not as drastic as it seems in the vast majority of cases. Unfortunately, unless you are really malnourished already, more Protein is not likely to help (though that's one of the most popular "remedies.") What does help is time and patience.

Hotpink,

I know this does not help much, but it is temporary. Anesthesia (spell?) can make your hair fall out after surgery. I had clumps of hair fall out after my baby was born (by the handful). It eventually slowed down and now I have tiny hairs all over the place! I am not a doctor or anything, but that could possibly be the case. If you are getting your Protein in and Vitamins then the Hair loss should come to an end soon. I did not get any bold spots or anything, even though I lost tons of hair. Hope this helps, I know how you feel because I sat on my bathroom floor and cried my eyes out, but it did get better and I did not go bald.

My doctor said you can't do anything to help it, it is growing back as we speak. He told me to feel up in my scalp and I could acutally feel the new hair growing back in. Mine got really thin, but then all of a sudden it was back really nice and pretty. Don't worry, you won't lose all of it!

I lost about 50% of my hair. I was freaking out all the time. My shower drain kept getting clogged. My dryer had hair all in it. And my kids kept saying things about hair all over the bathroom floor. I remember running my hand through my hair and it would be covered. It is temperary. It is in the middle of growing out now and I am so relieved. I also tried everything but it just took time. I think mine fell out for about 3 months. I know it is hard but try not to freak out to much. It will only make it worse. Soon you will notice little hairs poking up every where I promise. If you need to talk you can e-mail me. I know it is hard waiting for it to stop. Good luck.

I even ruined a vacuum cleaner and had to get a new one - and the man sold me a Hoover Cat and Dog!

I noticed the shedding but I didnt notice thinning, although I noticed a general loss of condition. Until I had a haircut at a cheap place (spur of the moment) and the b*tch that cut it tsk tsked about how dry my hair was and did I want it layered. I said no, because I have a frizzy curl to my hair that's hard enough to deal with without layers. She did it anyway, and that's when I noticed how much it had thinned, the ends were just stringy. I've put up with it and gone back to a very good hairdresser - anyway I've just given up patience and had a huge chop into a really funky inverted bob.

Now its so darn thick I cant manage it! ARGH.

But my hair was literally everywhere - its disgusting, all over the basin, floor, clogging up the drains, whenever I use my hoover floormate and empty out the dirty Water, there's all balls of my hair in it, from around the house. But I've always been like this, I shed heaps. I just noticed an increase.

But I never noticed real thinning, and its not likely you'll actually go bald.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I am going to be banded in 5 days and I was not aware of the Hair loss problem. It doesn't bother me at all though, because my step dad had cancer and when he lost his hair I shaved my head. It was very liberating. I can understand that for most women this is worse than being fat. I wish I could give you my hair. I am sending you lots of hair growing energy.

My hair is leaving my head too. I am not too happy about it, and am planning on getting a shoulder length bob on thursday. But, hang in there, remember, we didn't get banded to be skinny, but to be healthy. I know your thinking, "oh shut the hell up"...but this too will pass. Just think in a year, your gonna be healthy and have hair. xoxo...stay strong.

Glad I found this post again!

I read it awhile back and felt smug that I was not losing my hair (horrible I know).

Now I am in the same position, my hair is shedding but thankfully no bald patches!

I am contemplating getting my hair cut, but a part of me doesn't want to. It has taken me years to get it as long as it is. For years I thought I couldn't grow long hair, but after getting pregnant, my hair just blossomed. That was 10 years ago.

I guess I shall just have to pluck up the courage to have a change. I have been changing so much in every other aspect of my life. This is the last one to be part of the old me..