Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take...

Here's my issue. The couple of times I've gone out to eat, I've ordered based on my hunger (and because I'm afraid I won't have enough!). Then I end up with about 3/4 of my meal left and am full. This is great...but I could have ordered smaller portions or less, but my habit of ordering BIG is SO hard to break. I have wasted money and food because I THINK I can eat a lot, but of course (and thankfully) I can't.

So...How long did it take you seasoned bandsters to "get it" and order smaller portions?

I'm cheap. So I went into sharing right away. When I go out with friends I just let them order and pretend to want what they want.

I won't eat that much so it doesn't really make a difference. I am out for the company not food.

It took about 5 months before I made lunch dates.

Right from the start with hubby we would get into situations that we had to eat out. After first meal I ordered for myself and I wasted it , we went into the "what are WE gonna eat " mode and just negotiate meals.

We went to Texas Roadhouse the other night. He ordered the 16 oz cowbory cut steak (lol) and I ordered grilled shrimp as a side. I enjoyed bread, steak fry,steak and shrimp. It was a very good meal full of variety. Couldn't even try a dessert. My band is wonderful.

edie

I still order a regular entree, and take the rest home! It's nice to get as many as 4 meals out of one... I always try to make sure that it's something that re-heats well.

I was banded in January and can't seem to order small portions. I dont eat it but I order it. It makes my husband nuts cause it is a waste of money. Now that my son is home from college he is eating my leftovers but I can't break the habit either. And I won't eat leftovers. If i can have only a few bites I dont want the same thing again the next day. I want new food!

I was banded in January and can't seem to order small portions. I dont eat it but I order it. It makes my husband nuts cause it is a waste of money. Now that my son is home from college he is eating my leftovers but I can't break the habit either. And I won't eat leftovers. If i can have only a few bites I dont want the same thing again the next day. I want new food!

This is how I feel...I'm not a left over kinda person...maybe with pizza, but eh...pizza??? I need to lay off that stuff. I'm glad more places are offering 1/2 portions, like Applebee's...but I just can't seem to shake the anxiety of possibly "not having enough". On the up side, DH should be getting banded soon...if his stinkin appeal would go through...and we can split meals then. And my DD will also split meals with me. I just wish I could get over the "worry of walking away hungry". Heck, I've only been at this three weeks, so I guess I should give myself some time to adjust :rolleyes:

I try to limit my going out to eat and I think about what I am going to order based upon where I am going and what I can eat (Foods getting stuck, blerg)

Since I am thinking about it anyway I end up ordering less

We went to Texas Roadhouse the other night. He ordered the 16 oz cowbory cut steak (lol) and I ordered grilled shrimp as a side. I enjoyed bread, steak fry,steak and shrimp. It was a very good meal full of variety. Couldn't even try a dessert. My band is wonderful.

edie

***Drool***

I love Texas Roadhouse. On the occasions that we go there I have either share off of DH's full rack of ribs and eat some of his salad, or order a half rack of ribs and turn it into 4 meals. I love cold leftovers so that works out well for me also. But I think I have only eaten out maybe 5 times since my surgery in Feb.

I just wish I could get over the "worry of walking away hungry". Heck, I've only been at this three weeks, so I guess I should give myself some time to adjust wink.gif

Yes, give yourself more time, definitely! I'm six months out now and just learning (translation - forcing myself) to order off the appetizer menu unless I want 3-4 more meals of the same thing! Fortunately, my hubby and kids scarf up leftovers, but an appetizer will do and if I get Soup and an appetizer, the appetizer becomes take home.

The "what if I don't get enough" feeling doesn't always go away right away, we've had that mentality for a long time and it's one of those issues we will have to work through, I know I do. Don't stress or beat yourself up about it, it's normal, give yourself some time to get used to the idea that you can't eat the whole meal anymore and just enjoy the feeling of having left overs and watching the weight come off!!

I still do it after all this time, but DH loves it because he gets to eat my leftovers. Sometimes I order a small order because I know I am not that hungry, but most times I just order regular and let him have the rest.

I am all about sharing when possible. I was craving Chipotle lastnight, they make these HUGE delicous burritos with grilled meat and all kinds of stuff in them. I bought one, had 4 or 5 bites and now have enough for 3 or 4 more meals.

I must say when I put food in the fridge I have been getting kind of irritated with dh for going in there and eating them. I actually look forward to having them for meals later on.

It took me a full year. Even now, if I'm hungry, I think about ordering an appetizer and a main course before I come to my senses and know that one or the other will be plenty and that ordering both is just a waste. Really, it took an entire year for me to accept that and I still have the pangs of "will it be enough."

:)