Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Effects when you eat what you shouldn't

So I've seen many people and veterans post the comment "and my band lets me know when I eat what I shouldn't" and variations of that comment.

I have fullness and I'm learning well when to stop eating. I have also done well at avoiding foods I shouldn't eat but have had no issue when I have let's say candy (rare). So tonight I'm working extra, a night shift, that I rarely work. I use to eat a lot of junk during this shift. So I slipped for the first time and had some junk (much less then before but still)...I feel a little sick to my stomach but not terrible. No other problems.

I have wondered what happens to people when they make the above comment....sick, diarrhea, pain?? I had 2 things I shouldn't have and wish my band stopped me at 1!

This is my view, there are people on here who will disagree with me!

With my doctor's instructions, I keep my band tight enough to slow my eating so the oesophageal can register movement but not tight enough to stop me eating foods!

In my nine years, I have never experienced real pain, I rarely bring food back and I have never had an episode which lasted a long time.

There are some foods which I have found difficult because of their texture and some of these I know require ridiculous chewing if they will not go through, things like rump steak for me.

Went out to dinner last night and hubby ordered the Mosaic dip with pita wedges. Nom nom nom... Used to be a favourite. I took one bite of pita bread, and it was lovely and soft... chewed, and then my band said "No way sister - that is going to get STUCK and you are going to slime all over the table". I quietly spat it out in my napkin and that was that.

I get the same now with leftover meats (like a chicken leg in the fridge, a pork chop...) there is NO WAY I can have even a bite. There is a dryness to meats that have been refrigerated (not cold cuts) that are just NOT tolerated by my band.

Some people have problems with Pasta and rice. Me, no worries at all. Bread of any kind and leftover meats are my Waterloo!

I love that my grocery bills have gone down so much!

I have sliders, foods which for me will just travel through.....the band is not about restriction (see article below in signature!).....I try not to outlaw anything but to be conscious of all I'm doing. And there are certain "no way" foods for me. I will blap them back up. Yuck.

I think when people say this about "eating foods they shouldn't", they are referring more to texture like TheProfessor says. I think people mean if they take a bite of bread, or dry meat, or something that doesn't breakdown easily, the band lets them know they shouldn't have eaten it by causing an uncomfortable stuck incident. The experience is clear and immediate: message received, I should NOT have eaten that!
It doesn't necessarily apply to any foods that are high calorie and nutritionally empty (candy, chips, ice cream). Those foods are actually really easy to eat with the band, so it won't do any anything to stop you.

I recommend reading the articles Bandista mentioned, they are very helpful. They explain how the band works to make us less hungry (as you noticed when you ate less "junk" than you would have in the past). But it's still up to us to have to make decisions about what we eat.

I find that having small treats makes me feel like I'm living a healthy, balanced life and not restricting myself on a diet.

If you had a small amount of what you call junk food, don't worry too much. Focus on healthy food as much as you can, and enjoy treats in moderation too.

Hope these replies help! Good luck!

Edited by meggs353

Thanks everyone! I did read those articles just before my surgery and found them very helpful!! I know one day of eating wrong isn't the end....this is a lifetime change!

I just was curious what physical symptoms people had and with what foods.

Completely back on track today :)

I see - I don't have any noticeable GI reactions to certain types of foods, aside from getting stuck as I mentioned. Glad to hear you're feeling back on track! :)

I ate some junk food last night and I felt AWFUL this morning. To think I ate like that all the time a few months ago