Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

maintain weight

I am 1 year 2 months post-op. I have had five fills and I have lost 97 pounds. My surgeon stated that I will begin to just maintain at this point-which I have I eat 1450 calories a day to maintain-does that sound correct.

BMI from 47.8 to 28.9

My surgeon said something similar when I got to my original goal weight of 140lbs. I am now 107lbs, and have had an unfill this week.

Unless you (general you) have been starving to get to goal weight, it is very unlikely that you will stop losing till your body is ready to stop, or you have an unfill, or eat a lot more calories than you have been eating to lose.

So my advice is, unless you have been on a super strict 200 calorie a day diet that is totally unmaintainable, keep doing much like you were doing to lose.

Your body will get to a point where it wants to stop. And if you find, like me, it doesn't "know" then it is time for an unfill.

Sam.

Sam,

Can I ask why you are getting unfilled? And is that totally unfilled? I follow your posts almost "stalkingly" because you are SUCH an inspiration to me and to LOTS of others from what I have seen people write about you! Thanks for sharing. If it is NOMB, just tell me..I will go away...lol...DEanna

It's ok, I don't mind sharing! I had 1cc removed because despite cutting back on my exercise, and trying to eat more, I was still losing. I was happier with my weight at 114lbs... And 107 is just a wee bit low for me.

If I continue to lose, I will have more taken out. So far, I am not really noticing a real change in my appetite, and I don't see that my portion sizes have changed any - yet, so the jury is still out.

I dont see how the doctor can *know* that your body will stop now any more than he can *know* just how many calories per day YOU need to maintain a given weight. That's really pretty ridiculous that he would presume to know that.

There's averages and statistics but its something you will have to work out for yourself.

My body has elected to "stop" losing now at the sort of food intake, at 78kg. It just never budges up OR down these days.

I'd like to lose more. Its a no brainer that that means I have to eat less. I eat quite a lot for a bandster, probably 1800 calories a day these days. I'm not sure I want another fill though becuase I"m healthy and well nourished and full of energy. But its totally within MY control.

I would take what your doc said with a grain of salt personally. He may well be right, but all it means is that a different approach or a more strict effort is required from now to get to where you decide you want to be.

It's ok, I don't mind sharing! I had 1cc removed because despite cutting back on my exercise, and trying to eat more, I was still losing. I was happier with my weight at 114lbs... And 107 is just a wee bit low for me.

If I continue to lose, I will have more taken out. So far, I am not really noticing a real change in my appetite, and I don't see that my portion sizes have changed any - yet, so the jury is still out.

So Chickie; Hi I have just made the decision to have LAPBAND in Toronto.

I am happy (to have finally jumped off the fence) and have hope now that I will be able to lose/&maintain my weight.

Could you share with me what your menu might be like in a given day?

I thought for a person to maintain they had to take in 1200 calories a day. I have no idea that it has to do with height either. I remember when my doctor told me in his experience, people have only been able to lose 64% - 65% of their body mass. I began my journey at 251 lbs. in Nov. 2005 and he thought I wouldn't have gone past 184 lbs. or so. Today I weight 140 lbs. and am struggling to keep my weight on. I have lost 103% of my body mass and have maintained it since July 2006.

I lost my interest in food since I had my surgery and am now having to make myself eat to keep the weight on. Oddly enough I never had a fill during this whole process. The two great things right now is that I became extremely healthy and I have become addicted to the gym. I would love to be able to look like a fitness model.

I still have to see my doctor every 3 months because he wants to make sure that I am behaving and not losing any weight since he knows I am an odd ball case. He can't even get me to (treat myself) as he calls it and eat a cup of ice cream. My head still understands what a bowl is and not a cup so that is why I don't bother. The Protein bars that I eat are sweet already so I am not missing out on anything. I must be getting in 1100-1200 calories a day and I am not losing weight so I think that I am doing okay. I have gone for a physical and I am healthy all the way around so I am not worried.

Josephine