Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness, hotness, tiredness after eating soup?

Hi everyone! I was sleeved on Tuesday and I'm on full liquids. I had some clam chowder today (my family went out for lunch). Obviously I only sipped the liquid and I didn't have very much, but after many sips, I felt like my face and head was very hot, I was dizzy, and my stomach didn't feel good. It wasn't nausea and it went away maybe ten minutes later. I can't tell if I just took a few too many sips and this was my sleeve's way of saying "too much!", if it had something to do with dairy/ingredients, or if it was something more serious? I'm not lactose intolerant or anything, and I've been doing fine with Greek yogurt, but the symptoms (and trip to the bathroom shortly thereafter), made me think of that. Thoughts, suggestions? Should I be worried? I feel totally fine now but I wanted to get some input do I can avoid that in the future!

That actually sounds kind of like dumping syndrome. And yes, people with the sleeve can get it, although it is much more common with bypass. If you think it could be dumping, you definitely want to eat slower, and smaller amounts, with food that is either very rich or very high in sugar. Clam chowder doesn't seem like it would be high in sugar, but it certainly could be rich.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/dumping-syndrome-causes-foods-treatments

The standard advice my team gives out when you have an adverse reaction to food:

--wait a couple weeks before trying that food again

--eat slower

--eat smaller amounts

--take smaller bites

Good luck!

This happens to me too- nothing to be worried about! This is a version of dumping and it was very likely caused by your cream based Soup. I am not lactose intolerant, but certain cheese, creams, sugar, oils, and milk fats will cause a very similar reaction. I get really hot, my skin flushes, I feel nauseous, my heart races, and then 15-20 minutes later it goes away. For me, I used to have this reaction with everything that had fats or sugar, however now only sugar tends to give me the hot flash, pounding heart feeling while the fats and oils just make me feel hot and then barf.

I'm about 20 months out and I avoid cream based Soups because I know they will make me sick. The low fat broth versions usually go ok as long as there is no butter in them and I have never once had an issue with a Tomato based Soup. My sleeve just does not do creams, sugars, fats, or milk with a fat content, and perhaps yours may not be tolerant of some of these things either. My sleeve also hates fish, so if it was clam chowder, perhaps the oils of the fish in the broth may have also contributed to feeling poorly as well as the starchiness of the potatoes. My bet is the cream because of the fat content, but anything in the soup may be something that your stomach doesn't like.

Shorter version though, you didn't do anything bad and there's no reason to be concerned!

Thank you both!! I knew that dumping was an option with the sleeve (of course I had the "it won't happen to me" attitude), and I'm glad to know what it is so I'm not worried. I've had some other cream-based Soups and I've been fine, so I'll keep an eye out for other things that bother me.