Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can The Doc Miss? How Much Is Enough?

Hey Y'all

Two Quick Questions........has Any One Heard Of The Doc Missing The Port And Putting Your Fill In The Wrong Place? Also On Average How Many Fills Did It Take To Finally Get To Where You Could Actually Tell A Difference? I Just Had My 3rd Fill And I Haven't Had Any solid food Yet. But I Can Already Tell It Didn't Make A Big Difference. I Got My Last Fill 2 Months Ago And Only Lost 6.5lbs. I Go This Last Fill On Tues And Haven't Lost A Single Lb. I'm Starting To Get Really Frustrated. Which Leads Me Back To My First Question. Can A Doc Miss And Put The Saline In The Wrong Place Causing You To Feel As If You Hadn't Had A Fill? Anyone's Help Or Words Would Be Appericiated. Thanks Y'all

I DON'T KNOW. I ASKED MY DOCTOR AND HE SAID THEY CAN FEEL WHEN THEY GET TO THE PORT SO I'M NOT SURE. I JUST HAD MY 2ND FILL I HAD SURGERY 4/17/07 AND I HAVE LOST A TOTAL OF 50. AFTER MY SECOND TODAY I CAN REALLY FEEL THE RESTRICTION.

STARTED PRE OP DIET 4/2/07 340

SURGERY DATE 4/17/07 320

1ST FILL 1CC 5/24 300

2ND FILL .5CC 6/21 290

Good question. I was banded May 1st 2007 and got my first fill thursday June 21, just 2 days ago. I don't feel any different. I can eat anything. As an experiment I chugged down a large glass of Water, nothing happened. I drank a coke, nothing happened. I had knackwurst and salad for dinner and I didn't drink anything for 30 minutes prior and 60 minutes after like your supposed to, but I think I could eat anything I used to eat. I'm getting pretty frustrated. I'm trying to stick to the band rules to lose weight but I'm not getting any help from the band. I've gone through so much to get here, I'm pretty dissapointed. Suz

Dont get disapointed...My doctor did tell me that I wouldnt really notice the difference till my 3rd fill. My first one I could eat normal foods..I felt somewhat restricted but I could still eat...now on my 3rd fill i cant eat a thing...Youll get to it...Does your doctor have you drink Water while getting filled? Mine does and he adds or takes out depending on how fast or slow the water goes down..Kind of a weird feeling to acutally feel the water going down slowwwley LOL

Suz,

you are in what is referred to as "bandster hell".

you do have restriction (natural stomach anatomy does not have a circular band around it). my advice is to still follow the bandster rules. Protein, veggies, then if still hungry, carbs.

it could take up to a few fills to hit your 'sweet spot'

good luck!

I think you'd know - the thing with fills is that you feel the needle go through the skin but then you dont feel the discomfort you normally get with injections becuase the Fluid is being injected into the port, not into your muscle. If he missed, you would feel the saline being pushed into your muscle - it woudl hurt.

Yes, the doctor can miss. That being said, my doctor has never missed. He always takes out what he puts in. As far as how many fills? I had 5 before I had good restriction. I had to get up to 2.8 to feel it. I am now at 3 and super happy. I eat like a bird and I do PB a little. That is the price you pay for good restriction. Good luck. Don't be shy getting fills. They work.

well they can miss, BUT they would know it, when they put in the needle, they can feel if it is in and some of the saline will come back into the syringe. Depends on how many cc's of a fill you get, the third day is when they say your fill should be all in the band and it should make drinking and eating a little less then before. How much can you eat? I would ask my Dr. or his nurse about it and let them make sure you do not have any leaks:)