Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strong Negative Emotional Reaction to Band

Since I got the band I have had a strong adverse reaction to it.

Instead of feeling joy or relief, I find myself getting more and more depressed.

I'm allready thinking about having the band removed.

I keep telling myself that this is the worst decision I've ever made.

I can't sleep anymore, and usually end up crying for hours each night.

It got so bad the other night that is someone gave me a scapel, I would have attemped to take the damn thing out of me.(of course I know this isent really possible)

All you guys seem to love your bands, what went wrong with me?

I have heard of this reaction before and I hope others can advise you. May I ask why you don't like it? Is it because you know you won't be able to eat big meals anymore or is it because you have a foreign object in your body? Just take it easy and give it some time. The band is removeable if it would ever be necessary, so don't panic.

It's everything about it

It the I ahve to chew 18 million times thing

The fact that I can feel it inside of me

And that I dont think I should have done this

It's like i went too far

And knowing it's there, I feel so ashamed, I can't even look at the incesions

Hello,

First of all let me say that I'm sorry that your're feeling so strongly right now.

You had surgery a week ago. Is it possible you're feeling the effects of the anesthesia coming out of your system? I know that about a week after I come out, I have wicked scary nightmares.

Perhaps the reality of what you've commited to is freaking you out. Sometimes we go into situations with a rosy 'all is great' feeling of what we're doing, but then when the actual day comes, we freak out.

How much research did you do prior to surgery? Did your doctor have you attend seminars and did you visit the lap band forums? If not, then perhaps now would be a good time to review these and read about the success stories of the people here.

You're only 19, and this surgery is a big step, but congratulations to you for doing it while you're young. And congratulations to you for recognizing the need to get healthy while you're at the beginning stages of your life. You will not suffer the needless pain of 20 or more years of being overweight, and hopefully not suffer years of pain and other complications associated with excess weight.

You will not go through years and years and years of unsucessfull weight loss programs and feeling like a complete failure because you can't lose even 10 pounds on carrots and Water.

What I'm saying is that even though you think you made a mistake now, and even bigger one would have been to do nothing.

Keep patient and focuse on the reasons why you've done this. There are minor inconveniences with the band, but there are major inconveniences without it.

It's everything about it

It the I ahve to chew 18 million times thing

The fact that I can feel it inside of me

And that I dont think I should have done this

It's like i went too far

And knowing it's there, I feel so ashamed, I can't even look at the incesions

Hugs to you! I was approved by my insurance company a year before I actually had the surgery. I felt that (1) the organization I was dealing with cared more about maximizing profits that they did about me and (2) if I were meant to have a plastic appliance around my internal organs God would have put one there. I changed my mind when I learned that a surgeon I trusted who had removed my thyroid about 6 years ago was doing band surgery. I also learned about the addictive additives that food companies put in our processed foods that cause us to eat non-stop without satisfaction (High fructose corn syrup)!!! Just like nicotine for the smokers - that doesn't give us a chance. If you have not watched the movie 'Super-size me' you might want to do that. It is available at most any video rental and is in the special documentary section. It caused me more shame over being drawn in to the marketing ploy of the fast food industry and I am so happy I now have this aid (band) to help me 'fight back' by not supporting those companies!!! I hope you can find peace with yourself and be proud that you can take control instead of being a victim to the fast food and processed food industry.

Best of luck to you. BTW - do you have a patient advocate/counselor available? Did your process require a Psych eval? Mine did. It would be a great idea for you to talk with a professional counselor to help you put this all in perspective...

Blessings and best wishes!

Just try and relax about it. In a couple months if you don't get a fill you'll probably be able to eat pretty normally. And then when you feel emotionally ready your band will be ready for you to work it. By work it I mean get a fill and restrict the amount you can eat. I had some of the same feelings you are having. I think I knew I was fat before getting the band but I didn't think I was 'THAT' fat that I needed to go this far either. It took me MONTHS to finally realize that I did the right thing and submit to having a fill and actually working the program. Thats one nice thing about the band if you don't get a fill you can eat like a regular person. And then when you feel ready you can eat like a person losing weight by getting a fill. Seriously just try to relax about it, you'll be ok. And now when I look at my before and after I realize how badly I needed the band. Its amazing how our minds can play tricks on us. Just give youself time to heal, hang in, be tough, you'll be fine.. really you will. ((((HUGS TO YOU))))).

You had surgery a week ago. Is it possible you're feeling the effects of the anesthesia coming out of your system? ...

This really can be a BIG part of feeling emotionally unstable. I react TERRIBLY to anesthesia! Every surgery I've ever had, day 5-9 (at least) I am an emotional wreck!

Also, yes, you are quite young and the emotional impact may be a little stronger for you...you're still at the 'party' stage of life (not calling you a partier) and many young adults live on pizza and cheeto's! LOL It can be quite devistating to "think" you can never have this stuff again. Like others have said, you don't have to get a fill...you'll probably be able to eat most everything with no fill...perhaps not as much tho.

If yo had a psych eval, I'd advise contacting the doctor that you went to and maybe have some follow up therapy. I'll bet once you recover more fully and begin to exercise and are able to eat some "real" food, you'll start to feel better. Hang in there and keep us posted.

You have to go through a period of grief in this process. YOu have to grieve the loss of being able to use food as your comfort. Don't underestimate how big this change is.

You are changing everything about how you look at food. YOu are changing how you look at yourself. This is BIG stuff.

You are totally normal. I TOTALLY went through this as well. I was so very depressed about it.

What turns you toward loving your band? When you see the pounds start to melt off. Even that has some grief along with it, but it's far more interesting at that point.

Hang in there! It does get better, I promise!

Thanks guys for all the replies, I finally mangaed to get back to my computer(went home)

I seem to be doing a bit better now.

Thank-you all for all the suport, it made me smile!

As far as a psych eval, I never had one. I was your normal person to start off with, sure I had a history of depression..but that was a while ago.

However, I do have a psych I can go talk to, and I'm making a appointment.

I did a fair amount of research, but mostly through medical websites, so not alot of trials and tribualtions of other people...which has sorta freaked me out.

And, this whole process happened fairly quickly. A few months ago if you would have asked me if I'd have weight loss surgery, I'd say NO WAY!

But, my father talked to me, with concern, and offered to pay for the surgery(both my parents are Over Weight. More so mom, dad had GB at 30)

Thanks for the suggestion of that without a fill, I could still eat normally...howver, probably gain weight. I'll keep that in mind, after I'm done my recovery food, that I might want to take a month break, just to really let this sink into my system

It gets easier. I spent a lot of time hating my band. Especially when I was upset or sad and just wanted to stuff my face to feel better. The first few months were very difficult emotionally on me. Slowly it has gotten better. I still have head issues. I still want to just eat fast and not chew so much. But slowly it is becoming second nature to me. I don't have to think as much about the chewing, I just do it automatically. And as I slowly feel better about it, the weight starts to come off and that makes me feel even better. I have had plenty of issue crying, literally crying, over not being able to eat something. I have just had to find other ways of soothing myself, like taking a nice hot bath, or going for a walk. Believe me it will get better.

I think any big change is scarey!!! Lets face it food is our shield, even when you're ona diet you can break it and stuff your face if the need arises. I feel Oh Holy, I physically can't do that anymore. Also, do you know what emotion I've been feeling. I won't have this problem to blame anything on, what will I beable to be depressed about? I'll have had my sole destroying problem removed so now what? I actually thought about what other issue I could focus on! when you're fat you don't feel worthy of happiness, but with that removed it means I can be happy, now that really is scarey. But guess what, your allowed to be happy, healthy and slim. I so understand what you're going through but once you accept that life is going to be great and you're allowed a piece of it you'll be grate. It's just for so long you've felt your not worthy of that.

Jx

I am glad so many people responded to your post, and gave you some great ideas about why you are feeling this way, and what to do about it. It really is common for people to feel very depressed after surgery, any kind of surgery. During this period, just be mindful of your physical well-being, and follow your doctor's eating plan so you will heal okay. You surely do not want to have any complications with that!

Then, before you know it, you'll get through all the liquid and mushy stages, and start losing weight, and that will give you courage to face the next step.

There have been several periods during these last two years where I have needed to face my relationship with food...and I bet you will, too. After all, that's what I chose to do by getting the band, and I am SOOOOO glad I did! I hope you will be, too.

Give yourself a few days, relax, don't worry....one day at a time.

Good luck to you, and I hope you are feeling better!

Cindy

Hey there Sweetie, Juli from lbgt here.

You poor thing. I wish I could make you feel better. It literally blows right now, your stage of post op surgery.

Everyone above has said some great things to you. Listen to them. I'm glad you're making an appointment for your mental health too. Much of this, I believe is more about what's going on in our heads than what goes into our mouths.

I'm fill less and losing. I eat lower calorie foods, but I've not come across anything I can't eat. If I go too quickly lunch meat sends me, but otherwise there's little I avoid due to making me PB or slime.

I like your idea to heal then pause before getting a fill. Sounds like a good idea. In the mean time start visualizing all the new clothes you'll be buying....

Kisses,

J

Boy do i remember being in your shoes! There are still times 11 months later that I feel a little twing of regret or depression. One day I was driving and I saw a car like mine pull into McDonalds during Breakfast and I remember those days and was sad that I can't do that anymore... then I said to myself "What are you thinking???" hehe

The lapband was the best thing I ever did for myself. It's been a struggle at times but so worth it. I've went from a 30/32 to a loose 22 in 11 months. There's old foods I can't eat anymore that I loved...but I've replaced them with new foods that I love! I don't miss the old very often.

Hang in there. It'll be ok. I've been going to therapy once or twice a month since the band and it's very helpful. I'm turning into a whole new person and so will you!

Hi

Are you in therapy? I had some of these reactions also. I'm 2yrs out and only down 25lbs. I have to remind myself this is not just about a tool but about a life long phycological journey as well. I would have to say that if you don't have the physc in check everything else is that much harder. I would look into seeing a therapist who specializes in food issues. good luck