Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions about increased appetite

Guest j234555

Guest j234555

I received the lap band about 5 months ago. Since the surgery I've lost about 80 lbs.; however, in the last few weeks I've experienced a significant increase in my appetite. I've had one fill (about 30 days after surgery), but none since. The thing that concerns me is that I seem to be able to eat a large of amount of food with no discomfort. Since the procedure I've had no episodes of vomiting and I haven't experienced one ache in my stomach. That said, I can easily eat a sandwich, piece of fruit, etc. (along with a liquid) at one sitting and feel satisfied. Don't misunderstand, I can't eat as much as I used to, just much more than the usual 1/2 of a sandwich (or 6-8 oz by volume) which we've all heard should be normal.

Any advice?

Time for a fill! :)

Seriously, there are two things that could be going on. One is that you have experienced lessened restriction as you lose weight, a common result as your stomach walls get thinner and fat disappears. In that case, a fill will bring back the restriction you used to have and you'll be back in the driver's seat.

The other scenario is that there is something wrong, but I think that's highly unlikely if you're having no symptoms. By "wrong" I mean erosion (worst case scenario) or a leak of saline. The leak wouldn't cause any symptoms beyond a loss of restriction, but IMO it's less likely to be the cause than your weight loss.

Call your doctor and make an appointment for a fill. That's my advice. :)

Guest j234555

Thanks so much Alex. I've already got an appointment this Monday, so a fill is probably the way to go. Also, I should have mentioned that he used the new larger band (10 cm) with me. So as the fat erodes, less restriction makes good sense.

Thanks again.

Guest j234555

I guess my first post did sound a bit ungrateful.

Yes, I'm a male and I was 399.7 lbs. when I had the surgery (maybe I should have drank a few glasses of Water before the pre-surgery weigh so I could have made it an even 400). I'm sure both of these factors contributed to the quick weight loss.

Congratulations on the 80 pounds gone forever! You must be doing something right! But your band certainly could have loosened from that much of a loss. Did you say that you're drinking w/ your meals? Usually, a bandster should wait at least one hour after eating to drink. The reason being that food will stay in your pouch longer and help you feel "satisfied" longer.

Guest j234555

not often...usually I wait at least 30 min., but on occassion, I have had something to drink with a meal and I haven't had any problems. That said, your advice makes sense. Drinking has to force the food through faster.

Thanks.

It's fill time for you Mister sounds like ..If you can eat like that with ease then you need a fill

Congrats on the 80 lbs ..you have done a great job so far

Damn men they lose so fast :huytsao