Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bush Vetoes Stem Cell Bill - Thanks Goodness We Are Saving Those Discarded Embryos

Thanks, BJean! It's a great sauce. I love to cook and I am very good at it (which is why I needed to have the LapBand!), so I promise you will like the sauce. The Laphroaig is the key ingredient -- it gives a nice peaty touch and brings all the flavors together.

Lucy I'm completely unfamiliar with Laphoraig Scotch (or any Scotch, for that matter.) But I am making plans to put it together for this weekend. I trust you - I'm going to have about 15 people over! What is the most favorite thing that you use it on?

Uh I never really knew that the taste of peat was a good thing...:paranoid

Peat's pretty good if you smother it with BBQ Sauce.< /p>

Isn't the issue more about who should do the funding, not if it should be done? Didn't the veto indicate that federal funds could not be used, but the $$$-rich pharmaceutical companies are free to conduct research using their own funding?

If this is incorrect, I'm sure someone will set it straight.

In one sense the issue is about funding, because there is nothing stopping the states from proceeding with the research. I recently read that California, for example, has a $3 billion stem cell research program that covers a ten year time frame. On the other hand I don't think that people have big hopes that private funding by pharmaceutical companies ultimatley can fill this gap with respect to the big picture of really getting the full benefit from stem cells.

But while funding of the research may be part of the issue, this really has nothing to do with Bush's veto. Bush has stated that his position is: "I oppose federal funding for stem cell research that involves destroying living human embryos."

In the abortion debate I support the right to choose, but I understand the other side. On the stem cell debate, though, I don't understand the other side at all. The argument against abortion is that you are "destroying a beating heart." Well, that argument certainly has no weight when talking about the little cluster of cells in an embryo - an embryo that is discarded, unwanted, feels nothing and has no consciousness, and will absolutely never become a living human being.

I realize that some people believe that life begins at conception. But that is essentially a religious perspective. There is no beating heart here, no little feet on the ultrasound. To me it is inconceivable that people should feel like they have the right impose their religious views on others and force millions of adult human beings - wives, mothers, sons, brothers - to live with Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, spinal cord injury, stroke, burns, heart disease, diabetes, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis (just some of the diseases that can, potentially, be cured by this research).

The arrogance and selfishness of people like Bush and those who support him on this issue is absolutely breathtaking.

I know, I know, some people believe that their views and opinions are supported by "the word of God."

That's where the problem comes in. There is no room for rational discussion with people who believe that their opinions directly reflect "the word of God." Such people will never be able to form the concept in their minds that any other view is possible.

In this particular context, this process of forcing personal religious morality on others causes immense suffering, and is tragic beyond comprehension.

There can be little doubt at this point that this will all change as soon as Bush is swept out of the picture. But even this much delay slams the door in the face of a huge number of suffering human beings, and ends all hope for them.

Pete Moss? Doesn't he have something to do with sports? Green never watches sports.