Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now What? Colonoscopy and Endoscopy

I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy done today. This is not good. I wonder this will set me back on surgery

Here are the results:

Ulcer Found in the distral third of the esophagus-multiple biospsies taken

Hiatus Hernia in the esophagus

Moderately severe erosive gastritis was found in the antrium and body of the stomach. Multiple biopsies were taken.

Congested mucosa was found in the duodenum. Biopsy was taken.

Diverticulosis found in the descending colon and sigmoid colon

A single sessile polyp was found in the proximal transverse colon

Two small polyps was found in the sigmoid colon, removed by cold biopsy polypectomy

Internal and external grade III hemorrhoids found.

Now what happens and will they be able to do surgery? I think with this we know my diet is not good at all. So is gastric bypass the answer or VSG?

I need to wait for the results of the biopsy

I am scared because I quit taking care of myself and took care of my mom for 7 years. She passed in March 2014. My mom came first. I can't blame her, I can't...and I don't. I would not have changed it for anything. But I wish I would have taken care of myself better. I just put her first. She worried about me and my weight all the time. This is the result of not eating right, stress, and obesity and I think it is out of hand. On top of this I have vision problems and they are looking at surgery in my right eye.

When do your see the doctor? I'm sure he/ she will tell you the best approach for you. Just because there are issues does not mean you will not still be able to have was. My philosophy is stay positive, until you are specifically told there is no hope.

I can't say much about the upper half, but the lower half I have some experience with. I have had polyps since I was 16. Multiple removals. My last colonoscopy I had 3 removed. I have diverticula throughout my entire colon. Over a year ago I had a perforated bowel due to a flair up, (diverticulitis). My body then formed an abscess, trying to block off the perforation. It was a huge mess, and took an ovary and fallopian tube with it. I had 1 foot of colon and rectum removed. And I have surgery tomorrow. Now, the only thing I don't know with certainty, is what I am going to have done. Much of this depends on what he finds when he gets inside my belly.

If I have minimal adhesions and scar tissue, I will get a low limb RNY

If I have too much scar tissue and adhesions to deal with, I will get the Sleeve Gastrectomy

I'd rather have RNY, but I'll take anything at this point, to be honest.

I had a lot of "suspicious" things with my endoscopy and they took multiple biopsies and they all came back fine. I didn't have an ulcer, but that might be treatable. My surgeon also was looking for a hiatal hernia, I didn't have one, but he said if I did he'd fix that during surgery.

The surgeon who is doing my surgery tomorrow also did my endoscopy, so he was able to tell me right after, we were good to go, pending the lab results, but even then, what he was looking for, would not have stopped surgery.

I suppose you have to play the waiting game, until your surgeon lets you know. I know that's tough. Hang in there Sometimes things sound a lot worse than they are.

I had set this up before my consult with a WLS. I was already having problems so my gastro doctor did this. This is a result of processed food, to many cokes, and a low Fiber diet.

The biopsy results came in and I have Barrett's Esophagus with a big fat ugly looking ulcer which is pre-cancerous. The nurse said the doctor said the results came back better than what she expected. They put me on 40 mgs of omerazole twice a day. There was a lot of erosion in my tummy, but it is cancer free.

I think I am now off cokes and fast food and just bad food in general. I think this whole WLS may be on hold.

Actually you may be a perfect candidate for WLS. Don't just give up! Reducing your stomach will reduce acids along with your Omerazole. The acid is causing a lot of your problems. The hernia can be fixed during the WLS, hang in there. It's not a total scrap yet.

Thanks I just want to be well

I realize now how unhealthy I have been. I mean I know, but it has now hit me in the face.

I honestly believe the Lord has been showing me my unhealthy eating habits and is telling me get well. I can heal you but you have to work on it too. I just don't know if He is telling me I can do this without WLS by changing my habits and I am here for you.

I did email the doctors nurse the images today and she is showing them to the doctor to see if I need to out this on hold and heal first. I am pre cancerous. Wisdoms tells me to wait until there is some healing and to make sure there is no chance of cancer at this point. I know the bypass is the right option for me and not the sleeve.

I didn't drink coke yesterday. Yay me. But I had some today, 1/4 of a bottle, I started belching and had some pain. We went to Chili's for lunch. I got the turkey sandwich that came with fries. I had less than 5 fries and had the sandwich and salad with no onions. I also got Water but it was gross and had to go for tea. I brought a to go cup back to work and tumped it. This is major progress for me. I am trying to change habits now and I wonder how much weight I will lose in the progress. Which brings me back to the point of can I do this without WLS and my tool being pre cancer. I mean that in itself is a Huge incentive.

I will post a picture of my esophagus. So this is a warning for you awesome people that don't like those types of pictures

Image of ulcer in esophagus. post-252679-1432354766126_thumb.jpg