Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's had a scope???

I'm having one on the 28th and I'm a little nervous. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I know I'll be sedated, other than that....what?

Honestly, its not all that bad with either sedation techique that is used. You will either go under local anesthesia which they spray this horrible numbing solution that is supposed to be "cherry flavored" in the back of the throat which is pretty strong and might take your breath away for a moment. (that's the worst part) And then they will give you some meds that will put you asleep but not completely out to do the scoping.Or, they might do general anesthesia and if this is done you don't have to worry about the numbing spray they will just completely put you under and do the scope. Which personally, I've had both done since having the lap band and there really isn't a preference on how it is done because you will be watched closely.

Now, because you mentioned in one of your other postings about your esophagus being dialated already a little, you will probably be sore at the bottom of the esphagus or where ever the dialation might be and possibly a little bit of a sore throat if you've been vomiting a lot lately. At least that was my experience with this last one because of how sick I was. But, the first one was a breeze and no soreness at all from it.

So, don't worry and chin up:nervous It will be ok. Just remember if they use the numbing spray just be prepared and say "I need some AIR" :nervous

Sincerely,

Txbbwstrwbry

Thank you so much for all of your info and advice. As you are well aware, this is not fun and becoming scary. I'm just sooooooooo thankful that non of this started before I had my daughter in March.

I'm pretty sure they will knock me out. I told them that when I was scoped for a vocal chord problem last year I had a really bad gag reflex. He said that wouldn't be an issue for me. I assumed that meant anestesia, but wasn't sure.

I just wish this would be over one way or another.

vluckey,

The doctor is exactly right :rolleyes: It will either be local or general and in either case neither is bad. Just the stupid spray stuff for the local sucks. Of course after the nurse sprayed it into my throat and I made a comment about how bad it was, she told me what she did for a sore throat by using that stuff and she learned a lession ... LOL :biggrin1: At least she was able to put me at ease about it all.

You will do fine, I promise. Hopefully, you will be able to figure out what is going on and be able to make a decision on what you want to do from there.

Oh!! And congrats on your baby girl!! You go woman!! :)

Sincerely,

Txbbwstrwbry