Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hyperthyroidism

I get my sleve in 31 days and suspect I have hyperthyroidism. I want to get it taken care of but don't want to postpone my sleve as I've already scheduled time off work and scheduled my time around daycare. If I bring this to their attention will they get me on meds and still let me have surgery?

Why don't you make sure you have a thyroid issue first? You can go to a CareSpot or whatever urgent care clinic there is in your area and have a thyroid panel done for a very reasonable fee. They will give you the results in 2-3 days and you can see where your values fall. If you do have a thyroid issue, you can then discuss this with your doctor, but if not, no one needs to know you were concerned about it and there's no need to potentially interrupt the progress toward getting your sleeve.

I have my thyroid checked like this occasionally because the issue tends to run in my family. I always did it outside of my insurance because before the law changed they could have increased my premiums if there was a suspected issue. I have periodically thought I had a thyroid issue and it has always come back normal. Perhaps the same may be true for you.

I get my sleve in 31 days and suspect I have hyperthyroidism. I want to get it taken care of but don't want to postpone my sleve as I've already scheduled time off work and scheduled my time around daycare. If I bring this to their attention will they get me on meds and still let me have surgery?

Trust me, they will find if you have a thyroid issue. I had a horrid case of hyperthyroidism, Grave's disease. Are you having symptoms? At my worst, my heart would beat out of my chest, my hand would tremble, my legs were so weak, shortness of breath, I had overactive bowels and was dropping weight super fast, despite eating tons. There is no way a doctor would have done bypass until my thyroid was under control and that (for me) took a long time.

I wouldn't go in trying to hide it, especially because how hyperthyroidism effects your heart... I wouldn't encourage you to move forward with surgery without being certain its controlled.

I had my rny one year after my thyroidectomy.

Since February I have dropped almost 20 pounds. But I have eating better and going to the gym. On the other hand it has been us in a struggle now that I'm in my 30s I'm shocked the weight came off.

I'm sweating a lot.

I have hot flashes. But that could also be related to hypertension or women's problems.

In the last day I feel like I have a "lump" or pressure in my throat. I imagine the glad to be swollen.

Other than that I don't have symptoms.

This morning I typed in the my symptoms. I concluded the tightens in my throat might be a muscle spasim due to a combination of stress and reflux. I are some tums and diffused stress away. I feel SO much better!!!!!

I was told that I had a mild case of hypothyroidism and they would not proceed with surgery if it was not under control. Your doctor may test before hand. If there are complications, the doctor is not going to want to trust you because you weren't honest about something. My question is why do you want to put your health in danger? Get it checked, get on top of it. A doctor is going to be more supportive and understanding of a person who did that than one who didn't.

Btw, docs do check out forums.

I think it wise to find out what you are dealing with before undergoing surgery, best of luck!