Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions, Frustrations, etc.

Ok guys, I posted this in General, because it's a little of the other sub forums rolled into one...

For starters, I am so frustrated lately. I work 40+ hours a week as a medical receptionist, and go to night class for court reporting.

My surgeon's office(in Tulsa) is 50 or so miles from my house. With all the pre-op visits, I have traveled to Tulsa at least 20 days in the past month. (I should also add I go to class in Tulsa).

I am broke, stressed, EXHAUSTED, and emotionally drained... I'm to the point where I'm dreading my decision to have this surgery before it even happens.

Now on to my questions I had for you guys:

1) Have any of you had to stop taking your birth control before surgery? If so, has it completely made you lose it? I swear, my hormone's are all out of whack... I found myself crying over spilled cherry sprite last week. No, not crying, hysterically bawling.

2) Can we drink gatorade? I LOVE gatorade, and it's caffiene and carbonation free... but I'm afraid it'll be too high in sugars...

Thanks guys!!!

~*Ash*~

I did not have to go off of my birth control for surgery. Why did you have to do that? I didn't have to go off my anti depressants either.

You *can* drink gatorade... but any beverage with calories in it is generally to be avoided.

I hope your stuff gets worked out for you!

The band is a commitment that will take work. If there is too much going on in your life right now, maybe its better to wait a while. I would hate to see you just set yourself up for failure. Failure after a "surgical" event can really set you back emotionally too.

Good luck, and make a well thought out decission. You are the only one who can make that decission.

Personally, my decission would be to wait had I been in a similar position.

2 years 3 months post op

totally at goal

220 pounds lost.

Life is good!

I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners, so if I drink anything other than unsweetened caffeine free tea or Water, I will drink Gatorade or Powerade or something else lower in sugar than soda, but in moderation.

I understand that drinks with calories are empty calories, but my thought is that I am alredy going to be limiting myself with respect to caloric intake, so I'm going to enjoy what I do take in. I do log every bite and every sip of anything I ingest so I take credit for all the calories of fluids as well as foods.

Along those lines, I will not use fat free cheese or sour cream, etc. I'm eating alot less of it, I'm going to eat something that tastes good, darn it!

Yes, I had to stop my birth control pill before surgery, and for six weeks post-op. I argued it, but the internal medicine guy actually whipped out some recent and excellent studies about hormones (and the pill I take is NOT one of the low dose ones) and blood clots following surgery. I know it happens, and though the stats are low, I am creeping up in age and have been on them for about 20 years. I don't have sex anyway, the only thing that it will screw with are my periods (that was NOT fun) and my emotions. I figure I can do anything if I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm already counting down my six weeks from tomorrow to start them back up.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses guys. I know things will get better. It's just being so busy getting ready for surgery. I already had 3 appointments today, and yet another on Friday.

It's just trying to make time to practice (For school), and do my homework in between all the rest.

And I know the biggest factor is that I'm off my BC, and my hormones are crazy... Plus one of my best friends (also my ex) just moved to Florida this week, so that's kinda hard for me too...

~*Ash*~