Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suspected Band Slip - Advice please

Hi all,

I was banded just over a year ago, and had really good results so far. I am eating healthier and exercising regularly however do have the odd slip up - especially when it comes to eating too quickly. I find it a lot easier to eat vegetables, however particularly struggle with most Protein - I don't tend to eat carbs now as I have always struggled with them.

For the past 2 weeks I have been struggling to keep solid food down. I should mention I can have fluids / soft foods which are fine but I am worried I have had a slip.

For example, I have just had some carrots and hummus and feel fine, I can also have porridge for Breakfast.

My only symptoms are the fact I am sick when I try to eat any meat and a slight pain in my stomach when I eat.

I spoke to my consultant who said go to liquids for a few days to see if it makes a difference and I am booked in to see her on Monday.

My questions really are:

Does anyone else have problems with Protein?

Does this sound familiar for a suspected slip?

Should I take pain killers to ease the swelling should I just be inflamed to help healing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

As you say, a few days on really soft /liquid things would help you check to see if it is just irritation. We all react in different ways but all the following can cause temporary tightness.

The after-effect of a stuck episide.

Strong emotions -stress, worry, fear, even positive anticipation.

Allergies, especially those producing mucus.

Temperature/humidity changes.

Carrots are hardly soft! So if they went down with no problem, it sounds positive. Are you making sure meats are not too dry? Fibrous? Have you tried a little sauce with the meat? Have you tried fish? Chewing enough?

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly KateP.

I eat a lot of fish as I find that is definitely better than chicken / Pork / Red meat, however can only have very small amounts before I feel uncomfortable. I have found Quorn goes down a lot easier too.

Would a temporary tightness episode last this long? I am hoping this is the case, as I know if you do have a slip, it is very likely to happen again and I am desperate to keep going without any problems as I feel great already.

I suppose panicking and stressing about this is probably not helping me either!

We are also different! Some people, even when not too tight, always find meat difficult. Some like their bands to restrict their eating. That's not my way. But it works for some.

I think I would worry if fish got difficult as well as meat.

It's your call! For me, an increase in tightness which lasted would lead me to think of having saline out because I am paranoid about being too tight. But if you are still OK with fish and quorn it doesn't sound crazily tight. I would be concerned if it got tighter.

I am starting to think I need to become a vegetarian!

Thank you for your comments. I am booked in to see the consultant this evening but since I wrote this, I am less worried as I have been on liquids for a few days and it seems to have calmed down, so fingers crossed it is just a tightening as you said KateP.

Thank you again, you really helped.

Hi - I'm wondering too if I might have a slip. I've been banded since 2009. Until a few days ago I had 9.8cc in the band. I was having trouble getting solids down and had reflux and chest pain after eating. I had some taken out Tuesday - 2.2cc **** out on its own nurse said I was really irritated.

My concern with getting an unfill was gaining weight. But I'm eating solid food again today and just had terrible pain in my stomach. Also some of it came back up. liquids are not a problem at the moment.

I'll go back to liquids and soft for now. Nurse did mention the irritation could be change in weather...it's gotten very hot and humid here. Even tho ice never experienced anything like this before. Then again I've never had this much in the band before so.

I would also add I've felt very bloated and have been very gassy since the unfill. Geez!

Edited by iamshazza