Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused re:diet before surgery

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to LBT!;)

You should check with your surgeon and/or your nutiritonist to find out what your requirements are. The pre-op diet requirements vary from surgeon to surgeon and even from person to person.

I had a liquid only, high Protein diet for two weeks prior to surgery. Basically I could have Protein shakes, low sodium broth, and Water. That was about it. I do think a lot of people are on similar diets, however, I have also read about people being on high Protein, low carb diets, people who had to do liquids only for 24 hours prior to surgery, and those who had no pre-op requirement at all.

Good luck!!!!!

The REASON my surgeon gave me was to get my liver in tip top shape.

He told me he had to touch/move my liver and this diet would make it easier on my liver . It said it would make it easier on me pain wise too.

I was all over that like a big dawg.

I bet a dog biscuit that is what your question was all about.

edie

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to LBT!;)

You should check with your surgeon and/or your nutiritonist to find out what your requirements are. The pre-op diet requirements vary from surgeon to surgeon and even from person to person.

I had a liquid only, high Protein diet for two weeks prior to surgery. Basically I could have Protein shakes, low sodium broth, and Water. That was about it. I do think a lot of people are on similar diets, however, I have also read about people being on high protein, low carb diets, people who had to do liquids only for 24 hours prior to surgery, and those who had no pre-op requirement at all.

Good luck!!!!!

I AM JUST SO SCARED I WILL NOT SUCEED, YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES I HAD TO BE ON A LIQUID FAST ONCE FOR A LOWER GI AND WAS SUCKING ON A PEICE OF pizza CRUST..OH MY.

I Just Sent In My First Question And It Was So So Nice To Hear From Three People Already Iam Sure You All Know How Lonely It Can Be I Found This Site By Accident Although I Do Beleve There Are No Accidents And I Am Looking Forward To Getting And Giving Support I Am Working With Tufts And Hope To Heave My Approval By Oct. But Hopefully Wont Panic (last Time I Had Surgery) I Had My First Panic Attack And The Though Of Being Out Out Still Scares Me But Dying Scares Me Even More..so Glad I Found This Site.

Hi Lisa, as others have said, it depends on your physician. I basically cut back myself to start the process and get my body ready. I drank the Protein Shakes and started my Vitamins, gave up sodas and straws in preparation for the surgery. The main thing is to get your "Liver" in the right stage for surgery. Losing a few pounds doesn't hurt. Don't beat yourself up.......it is worth the effort.

I am on the liquid diet...protein shakes...water...broth. I was also worried about not being able to do it. I felt if I could stick to a diet it I wouldn't be getting banded. I will admit the first few days were tough...but it does get easier. I think it was more the mind game than anything...I felt sorry for myself when everyone else was having that pizza or hamburger. And I was told the diet was for the same liver reason. The 2 weeks will go by fast...I am now getting ready to leave for the hospital for my surgery TODAY!! Oh and I will have to do the liquid diet 2 weeks after today also but I know I can do it..and so can you. You have to go into this with a I can do attitude......

Good Luck!!!

i am just so scared i will not be able to go the two weeks with out solids..

Welcome to LBT, Lisa!

I just wanted to tell you that (depending on your surgeon) it may not only be two weeks without solids. I want you to be prepared of the possibilities.

A lot of people have a one or two week liquid diet pre-operatively, then almost everyone has some combination of a liquid/mushy/soft diet for anywhere from three to six weeks after surgery.

The average seems to be two weeks of liquids (either clears only or clears and full liquids-anything you could get through a straw-though many docs and nutritionists you shouldn't use straws for six weeks or so); then two weeks of pureed/mushy foods; then two weeks of soft foods, then on to solids. For some folks soft and mushy are combined and it's only four weeks to solids, you'll have to find out what your surgeon wants. Regardless of what you may read here or somewhere else, you do need to follow your surgeon's guidelines. Also around fills most docs have you do liquids for a day or three before and/or after fills. it all depends on your doc.

And YES, you CAN do this. You can do ANYTHING if you put your mind to it!!! REMEMBER: you didn't get fat overnight, it will take time to take it back off, and it takes committment and WORK. But it will feel GREAT!

My doctor had me on high carb, low fat, high Protein for 2 weeks prior. I had salads, meats cooked any way except FRIED.. NO FRIED FOODS -- and NO SODAS -- which I don't drink soda anyway, so that didn't affect me.

You'll have to check with your doctor, as the others have said, as to what he requires. If you want this bad enough, you'll definitely get through whatever he has you on!!!!!!!

Just keep telling yourself, "this is all for the new me" and whenever the liquid diet comes about for you, remember it's not forever. It's a stepping stone.

Good luck!!! You CAN do it!!

Thank You So So Much..i Have Called My Dr But Untill I See Him In Oct (awaiting Tufts Approval) I Can Not Get A Straight Answer So I Was Making My Self Crazy But The People And This Site Has Beena God Send.

I Just Sent In My First Question And It Was So So Nice To Hear From Three People Already Iam Sure You All Know How Lonely It Can Be I Found This Site By Accident Although I Do Beleve There Are No Accidents And I Am Looking Forward To Getting And Giving Support I Am Working With Tufts And Hope To Heave My Approval By Oct. But Hopefully Wont Panic (last Time I Had Surgery) I Had My First Panic Attack And The Though Of Being Out Out Still Scares Me But Dying Scares Me Even More..so Glad I Found This Site.

Lisa I understand the panic of surgery.. .I am a single mom and OMG if something happened to me then what??? BUT if I have a heart attack, ot ended up in a diabetic coma cause of my health then what for my kids? This surgery is safer than the what could bes... and so I am putting my faith in helping myself... so when it comes to panic... panic only if you don't get to do this... oh and I did jsut have shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago.. I really know the panic... knee surgery is next if I dont loose weight and repair my knee...

Good luck!!

thank you for your kind words i am also going through knee and heal problems had a shot in the knee monday if that does not take next step surgery i wasnt the surgery for the lap band i am just really terrified of the time before the knock you out i get so so scared when i had my last surgery i had my first panic attack so they gave me valium but my panic cont, i just could not form the words it was so so scary..i am still working on keeping my panic attacks under wraps and have gotten over my fear of flying so i am a work in progress and want to also play and walk up stairs with the kids without being out of breath..i just hate the though of having that panic again.