Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I keep seeing people post about going back to work after a few days up to a couple of weeks. This scares me. I wasn't allowed to go back to work for a month after having my gallbladder out. I'm older than a lot and I am a critical care nurse where heavy lifting is not an option. I am half of a small two nurse ccu.....together my coworker and I move 200-350# patients on a 6-10 time a night routine (or more). Does anyone else have any idea realistically, that I should plan to be off.

You won't be able to lift more than 10 lbs for at least 3 weeks!

I've been off for 6 weeks and start back on a phased return next week, it took three-four weeks for my wounds to heal and I'm only really now managing a full day of activity without needing a nap.

My work have been great and happy for me to take it as slowly as I need and I'm using the time to work on meditation and gentle exercise so that I am nurturing my mind as well as my body

Thank you for your response. Is it unreasonable, in your experience to do the first two weeks at home (Washington state) then fly to my daughter's in Norfolk Va to Be there for the birth of her baby....no heavy lifting involved....well maybe 8 lbs!!

Edited by samcl1

Any flights during the first 6 weeks carry an increased risks of blood clots, so worth touching base with your doctor about it before you book the flight, if you do fly then wear TEDS, keep well hydrated and be as active as you can on the flight and in the days before and afterwards. If you can do the journey by train it might be lower risk.

That should be no problem!

Maybe flights with a couple if stops and longer layovers this time would be a good idea.

I'm also a nurse and had 6 weeks off. My orders were not to lift over 20 pounds for that time. My doctor gave me the ok to fly right away if I wanted to so that shouldn't be a problem for you...Congratulations on the new grand baby...I was a traveling L&D nurse at a Bon Secours hospital in Norfolk in 2013, great nurses and providers.

I am off for three weeks. I have a sedentary desk job though.

I was one that went back quickly, surgery on Thursday, back to work Tuesday. It was hard just because of the low energy but doable. I also flew home from surgery (Mexico) 2 days post op. Ask your surgeon, I find they all have various requirements/recommendations even when it comes to lifting.

You all make me feel better, last night I was fighting with a little 175# guy with Alzheimer's and he just about whipped me, I can't imagine doing that a couple of weeks post op

I'm a nurse and Nuclear Medicine tech. I was off just shy of 2 months. No lifting; and YOU know; if you go back, you are going to be lifting and pushing and pulling and stretching! It's not worth the risk. I flew about 10 after my sx w/o problem. Still had a g tube. Wore TED hose on a 4 hr. non-stop flight. You know what to do; walk, ted, drink. No problem. But work? I'd wait. Best of luck. (RNY and sx. the next day as well for a bowel obstruction. In hospital 5 nocs.)

I think I am going to ask for at least 6-8 weeks off