Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is Why I HAVE to Do This!

So last night went to cookout, drank a few margarittas which completely throws my "you should really stop eating" voice out the window and I ate about 1/2 a bag (family size) of M&M's, chips, hamburger, potaoto salad, macoronni salad, 2 pieces of cake!, and then a few glasses of full sugar iced tea. I came home so miserable and depressed wondering why on earth I do this to myself?!?!?! And we have a vacation in two weeks and I'm already depressed on being the largest person there and having to wear a bathing suit. I am really hoping that the band will STOP these insane episodes. Am I right to assume that knowing if I eat too much I will throw up will keep me from doing this? I HATE to throw

up! I really wish I had done this months ago. Hopefully I will be scheduled for surgery around the 20th of July. I just keep thinking...this will be my last vacation at this size!

hi wanabthin,

you need to resolve any food issues you have pre-band. the band is a tool that will assist you, but the 'bad' things you eat will go right through the band (m&m's, chips, cake). i dont know why they do, but for many it happens.

also sweet tea - lots of empty cals that the band will not catch.

the thing with PB's (productive burps) is for a lot of people it's not just throwing up. it's quite painful, so that is also a reason to stop.

good luck being banded, read this forum, it has LOTS of great info!

Wanabthin,

I've been in this same boat before. I'm being banded on July 2, and I too have literally stuffed myself so full that the only thing that would make me feel better was to get sick. I don't realize it at the time. There is a mechanism in the brain that they say turns off the hunger after 20 minutes of eating. I have yet to experience this. I think mine is broke!!!

This is how the band is going to help me:

1. It's going to slow down my eating- Maybe I'll actually feel this mechanism they talk about kick in finally!!

2. It's going to curb my appetite, so I won't feel hungry- or when it stops doing this, it's time for a fill.

3. It will stop me from overeating before I do- because I definitely don't want slippage to occur.

It is different. It's a tool placed inside your body. If you don't follow it's rules, there will be he-- to pay. I worry already about slippage and erosion, and it's not even in me yet. I refuse to go thru all of this to not follow the rules. This is how I'm preparing myself.

If you'd like to come and visit, we have a thread going for July 2007 bandsters called Lucky # Sevens under this same forum. We're all getting banded in July, and we have been talking about everything under the sun. Drop in if you feel like it. We can talk more there.

Wanabethin

It's obvious you know you shouldn't eat like that, so no lecture. I too have done it.

But what really worked for me was putting all my food into FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

It's a free web based tracker. And so you can totally freak the hell out, put in what you ate a the BBQ. My first day of tracking was when I thought I was being good and I still nearly reached 4000 calories. I thought no wonder I'm slowly gaining. I typically burn 2600 with out extra activity. Let's say I did something that burned 400 more calories that day, that would have left me an excess 1000. 3500 too many equal one pound gained.

But the flip side is, the band will help you from binging, and tracking your calories will help you go, "I could make changes there, and there." It's something to think about.

Good luck regardless.

I always thought that your stomach was about the size of your fist?

Then again, there's probably a difference between an Aussie rules football and an American football, If I had something the size of an Australian footy inside me, I'd look 6 months pregnant!

Anyway, I often choose not to drink when I go out now becuase it turns off that inner voice and I'm way too prone to eating too fast and not stopping when I'm comfortable, and then having to suspiciously disappear to walk around outside or spit in the toilet until the sliming subsides. I keep much better control when I dont drink. I like my wine, but I stick with just the one and move to Water.