Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banders in British Columbia

Hey all,

I'm in Toronto and got my band at TLBC

However, my mom back in BC is looking to get one too!

She found one doctor in Delta, but they have like a 4 month wait or something...

Sooo, I was wondering if any of you knew where else in the Lowermainland she could get it done???

She lives in Surrey, fyi.

There is my surgeon, Dr Leung who works out of Surrey Memorial. Is office is in a building right beside the hospital.

Here is his contact information, along with the only other surgeons in BC that do Lap Band. Don't know of any new ones, but good luck with your search.

paula

Dr Wai Leung

Leung W M Dr

13798 94A Ave 200, Surrey, BC V3V1N1

(604) 581-2515

Dr. Woodhead

Ladner, BC

(604) 946 6500.

Dr. Amson

Victoria BC

Hi: I am from north vancouver and was banded at the TLBC. Unfortunately, if your mom doesn't want to wait she will have to go out of Province. However, tell her there are fill issues if she goes out of province. The TLBC is working on setting up a network of fill doctors/nurses as well as some GPs will do a fill but most are reluctant even with the DVD given out by TLBC. Also, there is a support group of banders starting up and will be every 3rd Wednesday at the Lions Gate Hospital between 6:30 and 8:30. The first one is this Wednesday and if your mother wants to attend to get information I am sure she would be made welcome. Doddie

Yay for another TLBC bander!

I'm lucky I geuss, I live about a 15 minute walk away from the clinic!!!

I litterally walked there the morning of my surgery!

Thanks for the info guys!!

Rub it in already. If you only knew the anquish of looking for a fill nurse close to home!!! Know what? I would do again in a flash AND I would pick the TLBC over any surgeon here. Only reason I would want BC is because they do fills but if the TLBC is true to their word, they will soon have a fill nurse here. Doddie

I can imangine!

I'm actually going back to BC soon(I'm homesick)

But lucky, my grandma used to work for air canada, and I can get these standby tickets for $50, so I'm just gunna fly back for my fill.

But, I have a question for you, how soon after surgery did you fly back? Got any banded flying tips??

Hi; I flew back April 24th for my first fill as I couldn't come up with the $1,000 before then. I have just come back yesterday from a fill of 1 cc. Actually went thinking I had a flipped port but I don't.

I use West Jet and book my own seat precisely 24 hours before flight time. I look for someone who has booked a single seat by the window and I book the aisle. I stand a very good chance the middle seat will not be filled. If it is, the stewardess usually moves the individual to another free seat as I am very large. As you will be travelling by Air Canada on standby, you probably will get a centre seat. If you are large, I don't envy you.

There is a Dr. Woodhead here in Delta that takes TLBC patients, but because he has had difficulty with the new procedure of ports not being anchored, I have been told he has stopped taking patients but I would get Dr. Yau or his staff to contact Dr. Wooodhead, he may take you on.

Also, TLBC has a doctor in Calgary that does their patients as well and you can get his name and phone number from the fill nurse. It would be even cheaper to fly to Calagary. I have been interviewed by Dr. Woodhead and will be making an appointment to see him tomorrow. If you want to chat, send me an e mail and I will give you my private primary e mail address. Doreen

I don't find it too bad if i have people next to me, being a size 20/22

the leg room is the most important thing to me, as I'm 6'1".

I usually fly west-jet(i try to aviod stand-by if I can afford to)

I can even squish into the seat at the very front that have the tray tables coming at the side...allthough it's not very comfy

How many days after surgery did you fly?

Do you think a week would be enough?

I had one days rest then flew home the next day with my DH. I had absolutely no problems. No pain, no gas. Almost as if I never had an operation. I have huge hips (270 lbs now) and I find the seats very narrow and I also have the hugest of arms. Almost as large as my legs and they spill over into the next seat so I do my best not to have someone sit beside me. I fully intend to fly back to TO one a year as recommended by the clinic to have them check my band but for fills, I will continue to go to the Delta doctor if he will have me. Doddie

Oh, okay, I was a little worried about flying...lol

Yeah, that's understandable

I'm only going to be in BC for 2 months, so I figure, if I can go abck cheaply, I mineswell.

Hi; I flew back April 24th for my first fill as I couldn't come up with the $1,000 before then. I have just come back yesterday from a fill of 1 cc. Actually went thinking I had a flipped port but I don't.

Geez Doodie. I am getting sick of shelling out $100 for my fills here in Calgary, I'll be at $500 tonight as of my 2nd defill.

I guess I should not be complaing too much.

Andrew

Hi Gaffer: LOL. Since the surgery, I have been back to TO three times at around $1,000 a trip and I have paid the Delta Doctor $400 for the first interview (he couldn't find the port so sent me back to TO for a "flipped port" which wasn't) and now I will be paying $75.00 a visit if he will have me back. If not, I will have to fly to Calgary to a clinic the TLBC recommended if the Delta doc won't have me because of the difficult port. Know what? I may be stupid and I may be frustrated with the fill situation, but I woud do it again in a minute. I have lost slowly but steadily since Feb and I am elated and not gaining for the first time in three years. Sorry you are having a bad patch but hang in there I am sure you know it is worth it. Doddie

Hi Gaffer: LOL. Since the surgery, I have been back to TO three times at around $1,000 a trip and I have paid the Delta Doctor $400 for the first interview (he couldn't find the port so sent me back to TO for a "flipped port" which wasn't) and now I will be paying $75.00 a visit if he will have me back. If not, I will have to fly to Calgary to a clinic the TLBC recommended if the Delta doc won't have me because of the difficult port. Know what? I may be stupid and I may be frustrated with the fill situation, but I woud do it again in a minute. I have lost slowly but steadily since Feb and I am elated and not gaining for the first time in three years. Sorry you are having a bad patch but hang in there I am sure you know it is worth it. Doddie

Wow, that sounds like a bit of a gong show. That sucks about the Dealta dr. He should really refund your $400 if he is not able to or unwilling to do your fills.

Andrew

Although I am incredibly jealous of the FABULOUS clinic in TLBC. I am curious why no one is considering Dr Leung.

OK, he has not got the best of bedside manners, he is ESL, he is even a bit on the aged side. But have you considered Leung?

I love the guy, I AM jealous of the counselling you get at TLBC, but I am not jealous of the distance you have to travel for fills.

So call me curious.