Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first appointment is May 4th. This is not even surgery time, or waiting on approval for my insurance and I am already nervous.

What can I expect on my first visit? I am also trying to understand why the whole process can take so long from first visit to surgery day?

This is the time to make your list of all the questions you may have. Any and all of them. You will probably see the surgeon, who will evaluate whether or not you qualify for the surgery. Now is the time to ask them ANYTHING. Then they will probably go over with you what type of surgery would be best. They will go over all the complications that can arise, and, depending on if you are to also see a dietician and nurse, they will set up a schedule for appointments, and the plan you will need to follow. You might have a long session with the nurse in regards to your health, and they may ask you millions of questions regarding your health. They may do bloodwork. They will weigh you. Just a whole bunch of stuff. They may set up a psychological exam for you. They may go over financing with you. Or talk with you about insurance. Bring anything and everything you think might pertain to the surgery. Bring a friend for support, if you wish, although they may not be allowed anywhere but the reception area. So LOTS of stuff, but then again, it may just be a preliminary meeting, to see just if you qualify. All surgeons have different ways of doing things, so just be sure you ASK ASK ASK!!!!! Good luck to you on Monday! I'll be thinking about you!

Thank you and good to k ow I don't have to stand there naked. :-)

Well, I HOPE not, but you never know! Be prepared, and smell really good!!!! Seriously, you probably will have an exam, I did. But mine was given by the nurse. The surgeon DID look at my abdomen, and felt around it (I've had so many abdominal surgeries, he had to see if he could even do the surgery), so don't be surprised if the surgeon examines you, they have to know what they are getting into (no pun intended!!!). I wish I could go with you, but I will be there in spirit!

I will promise you these doctors have seen it all, they do not even think about judging you. They just want to make sure they can keep you safe and perform the surgery. I can't imagine you will have to take off any clothes anyway. Really not need to.

Well, I had my first appointment. I loved the doctor. He is nice, great bedside manners and even cute, but married.

Bad news number 1. This surgery will not happen anytime soon due to concerns. . Also, he has concerns with all my belching and possible acid reflux and the pain I have been having. He says that a good number of people that are sleeved have acid problems, and with me already having that issue, it could add to it. So the first step for me is to find out what is going on with my pain, and belching and to see if it is really acid reflux or something else. There were no gallstones on the ultrasound. He added two more tests to my colonoscopy and endoscopic thingie, and he will coordinate with my gastro doctor. Then I will see him again after the results come in.

Bad news number 2. Due to reflux issues, but until we find out more, he is suggesting the bypass surgery for me instead of the sleeve. He believes it may be better for me. But this all depends on what happens with the other testing. This also means I may have to have to jump to the other forum :-( But I don't want to !!!!! :(

Bad news number 3. Really really really bad news. WIth my Tourettes and ADHD, he is concerned with my restrictions on the bypass and being able to stick to the diet restrictions. So I do have to see the nut doctor and probably more than once. :angry:

So with all this said, there is a chance this surgery will not happen. But I know he is being a good doctor and is doing what is in my best interest. I did ask him if this happens will it happen before the end of the year, and he said yes. So we have to make sure I am healthy enough to be able to go through the surgery before anything else is done and I am submitted to insurance

You know what? I think you can do this. I really do. If you put forth your best effort to show what YOU can do, I think that doctor will work WITH you to get you this surgery. He sounds fantastic, and very thorough and knowledgeable. And it's obvious he is looking at all the angles. Now, IF it turns out that you cannot have the surgery, I believe there is a reason for that (after all, there is a reason for everything, isn't there?).

So why not try to do a pre-op type diet, with HIS permission, to see how much you can lose prior to your next appointment? Have him set you up with one, to see how it works with your other health issues. Maybe this will help.

One thing is for sure, I am praying that this all works for you. You have had so much to deal with, and you deserve a chance at this. Keep us posted, and even if you end up with the bypass surgery instead of the sleeve, we sleevers still want to here of your situation and progress! God Bless you on your journey!