Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've got a few questions

Im in the process of going through all the pre-op stuff, and question myself daily. Usually, I think Im doing the right thing, but there are moments when I wonder if I can live with this decision. Im being asked to give up even more than just the food. I have been a diet dew junkie for years, and can't have that anymore. I've smoked most of my life, and they tell me I have to quit that. I know that all that isn't good for me either, but they want me to give up all of my vices at once. Seems some days that Im gonna go crazy just trying. I know it's the right thing to do, and I've got lots of support. I've kicked the diet dew for the most part, and have an appointment with my doctor to discuss some quit smoking stuff. I guess Im worried, cuz I've tried to quit smoking many times before, and failed. What happens if I can't make that hurdle? Anyone out there who smokes after the band or who gave it up before? Also, my personal doc is VERY adamentley against my having this surgery.

I've never smoked so I don't know personally and I know you don't even want to hear the it isn't good for you. Heck, I've even got my mother who last year was stage 4, nonhodkins lymphoma cancer and is still smoking, so I'll spare you that. I know personally 4 people who are banded and smoke. I am sure there are others on here that do and will maybe chime in. You've made a wonderful decision about being banded. I love my band. Good luck.

Im in the process of going through all the pre-op stuff, and question myself daily. Usually, I think Im doing the right thing, but there are moments when I wonder if I can live with this decision. Im being asked to give up even more than just the food. I have been a diet dew junkie for years, and can't have that anymore. I've smoked most of my life, and they tell me I have to quit that. I know that all that isn't good for me either, but they want me to give up all of my vices at once. Seems some days that Im gonna go crazy just trying. I know it's the right thing to do, and I've got lots of support. I've kicked the diet dew for the most part, and have an appointment with my doctor to discuss some quit smoking stuff. I guess Im worried, cuz I've tried to quit smoking many times before, and failed. What happens if I can't make that hurdle? Anyone out there who smokes after the band or who gave it up before? Also, my personal doc is VERY adamentley against my having this surgery.

I'll toss in a few comments.

First, as for your doc, you have not said why your doc is against the surgery. If you are obese and have a high BMI, and if you have other health problems or feel them coming, then your doc better have a good reason for this resistance. Sometimes docs are just ignorant, prejudiced, and wrong. If your doc is against the surgery for some stupid reason like "it's the easy way out," or something equally stupid, then I would just get a new doc, because that type of resistance is ridiculous and unhelpful, and can actually end up being a serious risk to your health.

As for the smoking, I quit about 10 years ago. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I failed many times as well. I used Nicorette gum, and that helped. I don't have any great words of wisdom on how to quit. But I can say that, in my opinion, quitting smoking is even more important for your health than getting the lap band. Smoking is just the worst thing you can possibly do for your health. If you are worried that you are going to fail because you are trying to do everything at once, then I say postpone the lap band surgery. Quit smoking first. And when that is fairly well under control (which could take quite some time, like many months), then think about the lap band. Those are the priorities that I see.

Try to do it all at the same time if you want, but you are correct to be wary of that. Doing all of that at the same time would have been too much for me, I know that. It does sort of sound like setting yourself up for failure to try and quit smoking and get the lap band at exactly the same time.

As for the sacrifices that go with the lap band, there are some, but not that many. I have found that I just stop wanting the things I should not have with the band. I know you think you will always want the diet dew, but I bet you find that it's not that hard to give it up. The band is not about suffering, willpower, dieting, and battling constant cravings. The band is actually about losing weight without doing those things. Once you have proper restriction, you just get full on much smaller portions, so you lose weight. That's pretty much the whole story. You really don't suffer. And you will probably find that you don't really miss too many of your old favorite food and drink items.

So, there are a few of my thoughts on these questions.

Cj

I too am doing all the pre-op doctor visits. I too smoke,,, My Dr said no smoking 6 weeks pre and i don't remember what after.. (i smoke about 1/2 a pack a day - more if i drink (rarely) or on the phone) I have here Chantix is really really good - haven't gotten it yet. I got some nocorette gum and will try that out on friday when i go for my sleep apnea (overnight) test. I go in at 8:15 p.m. and won't be able to smoke till i leave in the morning - I don't smoke in the house or car and i live in the desert (Indio near Palm Springs Palm Desert aka play ground of the President :rolleyes: and it's too hot to go out and smoke - so i will have a hit or 2 and put it out. I still enjoy smoking - So will try quiting and see what happens - I won't be done with all my doctor visits until mid July - so hopefully if all these test comeout ok - I will get a date in August...

I need to go to my pc doctor and get this Chantix - they say it's about $100 - but what the heck if it helps you quit - think of all the money we are going to save between food & cigs :0) Good Luck !!!!!

Yes, Chantix is GREAT! My husband smoked 3 packs a day for 25 years and agreed to just "try" Chantix. He was not at all ready to quit smoking. Within 2 weeks he began to notice that the cigs were not tasting as good. Within 4 weeks he was down to 10 cigs a day. And within 6 weeks he stopped all together. That was 6 1/2 months ago and he has not relapsed. I have to tell you that I always thought in my heart that he would NEVER be able to quit...this is truly a miracle drug. I say find the way to afford a prescription...it is definitely cheaper than cigarettes. You will NOT have an withdrawal symptoms as this medicine works on your nicotine receptors in your brain. Really, it is awesome!