Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking after surgery

Question for you veterans: I have read that alot of folks have trouble getting in the recommended fluids after surgery. Is this because it hurts to drink? Or that the stomach doesn't hold much Fluid? Or is it just that you forget? Or that you have to take such tiny sips it takes forever? I ask because I drink ALOT during the day at work and I just want to understand what I may be up against!

Thanks,

Cindy

In the first few weeks post-op, it was very challenging to drink. With every TINY sip, my body would go through this whole ordeal where first I'd get a constriction of my esophagus, causing pain right in the middle of my chest. The I would have this gurgling coming up from my stomach into my throat. Then I would usually have to burb. It was a chore to keep sip, sip, sipping through the first few weeks.

Once my swelling from the surgery was better and I was healed up, it became easier to physically drink. Then came the challenge of timing drinking around eating, remembering to drink, and drinking enough. I was told to stop drinking 5 minutes before eating and not start again until 40 minutes after eating. So getting the timing right was challenging. I also just found that I didn't feel thirsty as much as I had pre-op, so I didn't remember to drink as often, whereas pre-op I had Water next to me all the time and drank it without really thinking about it. Post-op I had to intentionally drink. And finally, I had issues with Water temperature. I had no problem with very cold water or hot beverages, but room temp water just seem to sit really "heavy" in my stomach and make me feel gross. I got a double-walled thermos-style water bottle that kept my ice cold all day long and that REALLY helped.

Now I am approaching 8 months post-op, I have no trouble getting my water in. I can take big gulps of water and several gulps in a row. I usually drink right up to the time I eat (instead of stopping 5 minutes before), but I don't have any trouble waiting the 40+ minutes after, because I'm so full from my food, I wouldn't have anywhere for the water to go and I just don't start drinking again until that full feeling subsides, which is usually a good 45 minutes after eating (sometimes more).

trouble getting in the recommended fluids after surgery. Is this because it hurts to drink?

@@cindyt

after surgery, for different periods of times

some people do have trouble drinking Water

they don't like it is one reason

or they do have trouble "keeping" the Water down

room temp water, or chrystal lite often help that issue

you have one leg up since you love ice water :)

after surgery you must drink very slowly

only taking small sips

you have a new tummy and you can't overwhelm it :blink:

some people do have trouble remembering to drink enough

i have heard of people setting timers to drink again

it works

talk to your NUT when you can drink faster, eventually gulp

even if you feel like you could drink quickly - slow down

talk to your NUT - she will tell you what to do and "where to go" :rolleyes: :lol:

thats great that you are asking these kind of questions prior to surgery

keep getting more info and asking your questions

you can never know/learn too much :)

"most" of us don't bite :)

good luck

kathy

Thank you for the responses. I like very cold beverages now, so it will be interesting to see if that changes after surgery. I guess for everyone it is a "wait and see" kind of thing. Everyone responds differently it seems!

I anticipate I will be having my surgery in Mid May so all sorts of things are running through my brain as I get closer!

I was the same way but I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and I am drinking my Water just fine. I too like really cold water and pre op I drank water like it was nothing. So I think if you are a regular water drinker you will not have many problems after about 2 weeks post op

Hi, Yes to all your questions. Many people have a hard time due to the restrictions the sleeve places on you to drink any volume. Add to that the fact that you recently had much more of your stomach removed than you actually have remaining, and you get the picture. I personally was a huge drinker, ( pun intended) extra large iced coffee and like two to 4 cans of diet soda while at work. But no way to do that after. That being said I recommend you utilize the time stamped Water bottle method. It is simply the easy way to monitor your intake and remind yourself how much to drink at a minimum each day. Its convenient and easy. Heres a picture to help show you what to do.

It sure made my life easier.
Good luck!
You Can Do this!

Fabulous idea Steve! I will have to do that!

Hi, Yes to all your questions. Many people have a hard time due to the restrictions the sleeve places on you to drink any volume. Add to that the fact that you recently had much more of your stomach removed than you actually have remaining, and you get the picture. I personally was a huge drinker, ( pun intended) extra large iced coffee and like two to 4 cans of diet soda while at work. But no way to do that after. That being said I recommend you utilize the time stamped Water bottle method. It is simply the easy way to monitor your intake and remind yourself how much to drink at a minimum each day. Its convenient and easy. Heres a picture to help show you what to do.

It sure made my life easier.
Good luck!
You Can Do this!

I would love to be able to do that, but I can only stomach really really ice cold Water. I had to switch to a double-walled thermos-style bottle to keep the water cold enough and that means it's not transparent. But since I made the switch, I know I'm getting enough water, because the bottle holds 24 ounces and I easily go through two of them while I'm at work. Then I drink at least 10-12 ounces while working out and at least two glasses of water after dinner. And that's not even counting the 3 cups of coffee I drink per day, which they mayo Clinic says DOES count towards hydration, despite popular myths about caffeine as a diuretic.

Fortunately at my work we have a kitchen and a regular refrigerator so I can bring in ice and really anything! The one thing we don't have in the kitchen is a blender so I think I may "gift" one for my anticipated upcoming use! LOL!!