Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get the medicines down??

:help:My surgery date is getting closer and I take a lot of meds. The pharmacist says most of them I will have a hard time crushing.

Metformin - huge diabetic pill

Tricor - Big Coated

Cardizem - Capsule - can dissolve

nexium - can this be dissolved?

Paxil - control release - can't dissolve.

Can anyone help out with this???

PS; can you tell one of the reasons I am having the surgery is the drugs I take:faint:

I have had no problems with pills. I went to the pharmacy and bought a pill cutter/crusher. I have been able to cut all my pills in either 1/2 or 1/4's depending on the size of them. The capsules should be ok just to take whole because they dissolve quickly. I haven't had any trouble with mine!

I am having trouble too. So far, I take them very slowly with HOT Water. Hot water will open the band a little. If I take them too close together, I PB

them back up. I am going to look for a pill crusher. I started having this

problem mainly a week ago, after my 3rd fill.

One of the things they told us in the seminar I attended was that you should try to get the liquid form of the medications you are on.

They may have to be ordered at the pharmacy. If there are some pills that can not be crushed maybe they have a similar pill (different brand) that can be. Its worth a try. I know they said that there is a liquid tylenol that comes in adult form but might have to have the pharmacy order it for you.

The lortab elixir which is commonly prescribed for pain is great...but it doesn't agree with some patients. I handle Lortab just fine in pill form but some of the liquid medications have additives that can cause problems. I was vomiting my brains out post-op so my dr. just had me crush pill Lortabs and I was fine. It is weird how different people can react to things.

I have to c rush all my pills , even my timed released wellbutrin, and i have to take them in yougurt, casue they burnt my thoat other wise. LIquid vicodin is the best!!:biggrin1:

:help:My surgery date is getting closer and I take a lot of meds. The pharmacist says most of them I will have a hard time crushing.

Metformin - huge diabetic pill

Tricor - Big Coated

Cardizem - Capsule - can dissolve

nexium - can this be dissolved?

Paxil - control release - can't dissolve.

Can anyone help out with this???

PS; can you tell one of the reasons I am having the surgery is the drugs I take:faint:

Bamalama

My surgery was on Monday and I've found that this has been the hardest part, so far. I also take Nexium and Tricor. Nexium doesn't really dissolve but is probably the easiest one I take. Tricor, as you know, is so large. I crush it the best I can and take it with Crystal Light for flavor. I didn't have any of those little medicine cups so I used the small cup that the Crystal Light came in.

I hope that eventually I can take my meds by either just cutting them in small pieces or simply being able to stop them all together.

Good Luck...it's not fun.

Take care.

Renee

Rite Aid carries the Tylenol in the liquid form on a regular basis and it's extra strength, you can find it on the isle with the regular medicine. I purchased my pill crusher at the Dollar Tree, now that I think about it, I probably should pick up another one.