Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is restriction anyway?

I keep reading about getting restriction but I'm wondering what is restriction anyway? I've had 2 fills, the last 5/29. At times I've not chewed enough and it hurts in my chest and throat, I've PBed twice and slimed a time or two. Is this restriction? I thought it would be the feeling of being really full. I guess I'm confused because I've not felt really full. I usually give myself so much food and that's all I eat but I find myself snacking between meals with fruit and veggies. I stopped buying almonds because I would catch myself eating them by the hand full off and on all day. I do get in my Protein with at least 2 drinks a day plus enough fluids, mostly Water.< /p>

My doc says restriction is when you are eating 3 small meals daily with no Snacks and losing one to two lbs a wk. I am yet to be there I have had three fills but I think I am close

Pre-band, my definition of "full" was literally a "full to bursting/bloated" feeling in the bottom of my stomach (just above my waistline, from side to side). Now, I define "full"/restriction as a tight feeling in the center of my chest, below my sternum. I think the term "full" really should not be used anymore with regards to the way we are "constructed" now.

Restriction is different for everyone.

For me, restriction is eating a small meal (large by the 600 calorie a day crew) and not feeling hungry for at least 2 or 3 hours after. I have the odd snack. But it is usually an apple, a hand full of nuts, or hummus on a stick of celery, or maybe an egg, slice of cheese or yogurt.

I find that, for me anyway, the idea of drinking Protein shakes defeats the whole idea of banding. Are we not told to stay away from liquid calories? Aside from that, I have yet to find compelling proof that the amount of Protein that the US bandsters are told to take in is safe (I would like to note that I have not found compelling proof that it isn't either)

Back to restriction. I don't know that the "Bursting at the seems" type full we felt prior to banding is really "full". I think it is far quieter than that. I have found that I get to a point where I instinctively push the plate away. It doesn't matter how much is still left on the plate, I am full. And that is it. I am done till my next meal / snack.

I don't know if that is helpful in any way. But they are my thoughts on restriction.

When I had truly great restriction for the six weeks post surgery I also had absolutely no head hunger, no real appetite at all really. That was awesome, if only it could be like that all the time. But I also ate an extremely restricted diet and could not live like that forever.

Nowadays, for me its like Chickie says, reasonable meal, stay full for reasonable time.

For me, headhuger returned full force, in between meals I'm like I always was - I could eat just becuase its something to do, for some reason, I have more control over it these days, although I still do it. I'm now settled down for a lifelong effort to stay on top of it, although knowing I have my band, its like an insurance that I can always go back and have another fill if I find my weight creeping up.