Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - Considering Lap Band

Guest shan1701

Guest shan1701

Hi, I'm Shannon. I'm 31, have a BMI of 41 and spend most (okay all ) of my days chasing a one year old. I am seriously considering LapBand surgery, in fact tonight I'm going to my first info seminar with a surgeon. At the moment I am really conflicted. I know that there are a lot of good and well thought out reasons for going forward with surgery, but sometimes it just seems so extreme, especially since my insurance is unlikely to cover it. They would likely approve me for RNY with no problem, but I know that is too extreme for me. How did those of you who are banded make your decision? Especially those of you who had to pay out of pocket, how did you decide that it was worth it? Do you still think it was worth it? I know that ultimately this is a decision that I have to make alone, but it would really help to hear what your thought processes were when making your own decisions.

Thank you!

Hi Shannon I'm 38 yrs old and I was a self pay in Mexico

I would not even consider RNY s owhen I heard of the Lap Band and researched it for 6 months I knew it was what I wanted to do. I even sold my mustang convertible to get this surgery that is how bad I wanted it. It has been worth every penny I have spent. I have been overweight all my life and have tried al lthe diets known to man to only fail time and time again, this surgery was my last hope of finding beating this demon. There is a great book out that has lots of info for people thinking about the surgery and for new bandsters.

www.amazon.com

is where to get it

Laproscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding, Achieving Permanent Wegiht Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery. Written By Jessi H. Ahroni

I have had no problems or complications since surgery and have lost 62 lbs in 6 months. I am not deprived with the foods Ieat, I do not feel like Iam on a diet at all. This is a great site for lots of different opinions and you will recieve a ton of support. I hope you stick around..best of luck to you on your decision. If I can answer any questions for you please feel free to email me or send me a private message. Im, not a veteran bandster but I have 6 months under my belt..

Hi Shannon!

I can SO relate to what you're going through; I'm sure most of us can. For me it was looking at my two small children and realizing that I now had two whole new reasons to win my lifelong battle with weight. And to do that, I needed a new weapon.

But for those same exact reasons, I would NEVER consider RNY. The risks involved were just too great, and even with a BMI of 47 I still didn't feel "unhealthy" enough to take that step. Banding gave me a new start, a whole new way to think about food, and a whole new relationship with the world, WITHOUT the drastic, anatomy-rearranging effects of the bypass.

Keep reading, keep exploring, and keep asking questions. It's not something to undertake lightly, but we're here to share our experiences if that will help.

Nice to meet you!! :rolleyes:

Hi, Shannon, good luck on your search! Research everything you can get your hands on. The surgeon's seminar is a great place to start. This is not a "quick fix". The band will help, but you have to be willing to make lifestyle adjustments and do your part. Hope you find the answers you're looking for!

I was already at a crossroads when I learned of the band (only a few months ago). I had been on every diet you could think of and each had failed and I was looking down the road to a certain early death. The thought of bypass was tickling my mind, but somehow I just knew it was wrong for me. Then I heard about lapband and did some research and knew it was the right decision to make. Extreme, yes. Worth it, you bet (I can confidently say that and I haven't even been banded yet). The cost, it's only money, how does one compare it to one's health? Luckily, my insurance will pay, but I was certainly prepared to self pay in Mexico. I will be banded come hell or high water!!!

Guest shan1701

Thank you all for your messages. The seminar last night was really good and answered a lot of my questions. La Madam, the author of the book you recommended actually works for this surgery practice, so I was able to talk with her and buy a copy of the book there. I have certainly decided that a LapBand is a reasonable course of action, and even likely worth the money. The main issue now is figuring out whether or not it is what I want, if it is really right for me. I'm going to take my time. This isn't an emergency . In the mean time I hope that these forums will continue to be a help in my decision making process.