Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body fat measurement frustration

Over the last year, I've gotten hooked on fitness. Who'd have thought?! Started running, 2 rounds (6 months) of p90x, and now found body beast and loving it. The weight loss has stopped and I'm ok with that, I'm 5'4 and 138. I told myself that I would measure my progress now by body fat percentage, my muscles, and non weight loss goals.

That all sounds lovely, right? So I had a measurement done free of charge back on Nov 1, the kind with the bare feet and hand analysis (some kind of magic, don't ask me how it knows) and it said 27%. I was ecstatic! I had finished one round of p90x3 and was feeling tough.

Problem: I can't get that test for free again. So I looked online for options, found a test to do at home via body measurements, and grabbed the tape measure. Re-measured a dozen times. And got the result of 33%. My hubby explained (while I had a tearful tantrum) that my measurements are messed up because of all of the extra skin, so this test is not accurate for people in my situation (yes there's a large surplus of extra skin) So how do I see my progress?! I am a person who needs numbers!! And now I feel disgusted all over again with the skin issues I've been trying so hard to accept (ok, tolerate)

There are weighing scales that measure % fat too.

You can purchase scales and hand held devices for around $100 that will do it, but I have read they are not very accurate and people wish they invested in the more expensive models.

The health club I go to used to have one out in the open for all to use...free of charge, similar to the method you describe...bare feet, grip with both hands....

Now they figured out a way to make extra money, so they purchased a real fancy one hooked to a lap top, and gives you print out of a full body analysis...not just fat. but all sorts of things....also tells you if you are drinking enough Water...

Costs $10...I do it about once a month....

calipers are not very accurate, they will only give you subcutaneous and then only in certain areas of the body...then it is averaged out....that's the method we learned and used in college 35 years ago.

The killer is Visceral fat, which is in the body and you can't see.... layered/marbled in your muscles and choking your organs....a good body fat analysis will tell you your entire fat %,....and an accurate state of health.

A series of low voltage signals are sent throughout the body and resistence/impedence is measured over time....

As you can see, BMI's are worthless...except getting you in the ballpark...it';s like asking someone directions to their home. and they give you enough to get you to their state, and then town....

Sounds like you have transferred your obsession of weight and fat to this BMI obsession. Look at the big picture.....you have lost so much weight. Your body will not be perfect. Enjoy the journey. Enjoy your weight loss. Decide to be happy.

Just to update what's been happening:

I found a well-reviewed body fat scale (the electrical magic kind). Followed the directions and got my readout. 23% body fat on that one. Boom! Clearly this one is right ????

It put the whole extra skin issue into perspective for me.

I hear you on the extra skin. I just had a Tummy Tuck on 3/21/15. Still a bit swollen but happy with it. My insurnce covered it. But my thighs make me sick!!!

They are so skinny and the excess skin looks like melting wax.

My insurance won't help me with this. In a few weeks I can work out again and probally will go crazy with squats. I lost 162 lbs. I am 5'7" was 301 and now 138 or 139 depending on the day.

My husband and doctor's say I amd one of the 10% who go the other way and loose to much. They want me to gain 10 lbs.

I just can't. In fact I have a hard time with even getting more then 600 calories in in a day. I am addicted to the number. I was not lways heavy. It just creeped up the past 8 years. I was about 130 when I graduated high school in 1990. So I meet almost my goal to be the same as in HS.

But I do NOT like how my body looks at all. I can cover it in pants or long horts but I did NOT loose all this weight just to cover up now.

I am happy you found the right kind of measurment thingy.

Keep up with the updates I love the support and hearing other story's.

i want to get a fancy body fat anylasis done in a lab once i am at goal and have had plastics ive always wondered what is fat and what is muscle on my body