Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't posted in forever but tonight I just needed to vent a little.

Since I had my surgery 13 months ago I always though "if I ever get the nirovirus, aka stomach flu, that's probably got to be the worst thing ever." And I was right. Has anyone else dealt with it post op?

It started Thursday night with my blood sugar bottoming out. All day yesterday I just felt bloated and my blood sugar keep feeling a tiny bit low. I had an appointment to get a new tattoo and I thought maybe it was just nerves. And then I almost blacked out right on the table when my blood sugar bottomed out. I had to drink about half of a straight up regular doctor pepper which was terrible.

I went out with a nurse friend to dinner after, I was feeling a lot better, and she said that a stomach bug was going around. That's the point where it clicked. I felt the same way last time I had it but I had stuff coming out both ends. I don't have anything coming up for going out now because I haven't ate enough for that to happen. The dry heaving started over night and I thought the worst had passed until I got up to take something for my busting head. I'm burning up. So at the point between my blood sugar being in the dumps, I'm sure I'm terribly dehydrated, and I can't even stand up. I'm considering going to the urgent care when they open.

Sorry I wrote a book, i usually deal with being sick pretty well but this is a kick in the pants for sure. Any tips or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

If you truly are that dehydrated and feel you can't drink Water, then yes. Go to the ER for fluids. You don't need to suffer like that.

You definately need to go in. They can help you with hydration for sure and it will make you feel better.

Good luck and take care!

After a RNY operation I lost significant weight and my weight loss leveled out for almost 6 months. But then I got the stomach flu. I didn't feel like eating at all. I lost a pound a day for a week. A month later, I lost my appetite again and dropped another 5 pounds. So overall I was 10 pounds below my lowest (maintenance phase) weight. I thought maybe I should just accept my reduced weight as my new bottom weight. A year has past and I still maintain this lower weight loss level.

So there may be an upside to the stomach flu.

Been there. Done that. Don't want to do it again!

Do whatever you need to do to get re-hydrated!!! I was lucky in that my NP prescribed anti-nausea meds for me so I was able to keep my fluids up. I was told not to worry about getting in my Protein until I could keep things down. When I was up to eating again, I was told to start over as if I had just had surgery. Clear liquids, then full liquids for a day or two then "mushies" and back to a regular diet as I could tolerate it. But most importantly...stay hydrated!!!

I hope you start feeling better very soon!

Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling work down today but better. I've gotten some Fluid and food in so I haven't been as dizzy. I did look at it as an opportunity to drop a few pounds so I'm hoping at least some good will come of it.