Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm having surgery April 16th and my biggest fear is a stuck episode. It sounds terrible and inevitable ????

I understand how it happens and what to do to avoid it BUT what do you do when it happens?? Do you wait it out? Vomit (not safe and I hate to vomit)? Drink something?

I just want to know what to do when and if it happens....????

Hi there, hard to explain but it's not like throwing up -- it's more like a baby blapping up something it just had. It's not from the stomach. Of course it should not happen, that's the goal. I got stuck plenty learning how to slow down and be with my band and I have to say while it is undesirable it is not that bad. It's all about learning to tune in and really listen. Our bands stay stop and some of us are not quite wanting to yet -- then comes stuck. It's a behavior modification that comes over time. You will do fine,

Good luck!

Glad you are here. You will get all kinds of advice as everyone is a bit different in their banding process.

food may come back up out of your pouch. It is not mixed with stomach acid and , to me, not at all similar to throwing up. It doesn't smell or wrench my stomach... More like spitting out something that doesn't taste good. Hope that helps your fear a bit.

Hope you are as happy with your decision as many of us are????

Thanks bandista and Julie! Glad it's not "vomiting"....I will do just about anything to avoid vomiting! Lol

So it's best to get the item up vs drinking or waiting for it to pass?

Thanks bandista and Julie! Glad it's not "vomiting"....I will do just about anything to avoid vomiting! Lol

So it's best to get the item up vs drinking or waiting for it to pass?

For me, drinking IS the way I get it out and un stuck....

Also, I feel it is a valuable and necessary lesson....it WILL force you to break the old bad habits and adapt new ones, which will lead to a new successful lifestyle.

I read here all the time where people feel something is wrong...(perhaps there is by trying to eat like a fat person eats) call their Dr.'s and get some Fluid removed....then they can what they want when they want, and go back to traditional diet planning....

Thanks B52....makes sense to me! I don't want to eat the way I do now, that's why I'm doing this! Lol

Guess I'll play it by ear then...doesn't sound as terrible as some had portrayed:)

My first stuck episode was loads of salivating (sliming). I tried to ride it out. I don't recommend that. Just get to a bathroom and gently spit it up and out.

You're not vomiting and since it's stuck in your esophagus it's not trying to bring something back through your band. You won't want to repeat it and it will teach you to chew better and to slow down.

And for Pete's sake, stop chewing more food. Once you're stuck, that meal is over. No exceptions. Too bad if you're still hungry. Nothing chewed for several hours afterward. Rest your system.

Been there, done that.

It's not inevitable! But the chances are you will get it wrong before you learn!

Well-chewed food passes through a well-adjusted band in under a minute. So as long as you chew, swallow, pause - then you will learn how to avoid problems. If you do bring food back regularly you are eating too fast or your band is too tight.

As others have said, it is not like vomiting. The good comes from above the band and so is not contaminated by stomach acid.

I have never, in nine years, had a painful episode. And only very rarely brought food back.

Good to know JustWatchMe and KateP!! Thanks.

I bought a set of appetizer forks and spoons because I know otherwise I will take too big a bite!! I'm hoping they help me to retrain my brain ;)

Good to know JustWatchMe and KateP!! Thanks.

I bought a set of appetizer forks and spoons because I know otherwise I will take too big a bite!! I'm hoping they help me to retrain my brain ;)

I am not American so I may be wrong here. But the Americans I know cut their food into pieces, then put their knife down. I suggest eating European style. Cut a small bite, chew, swallow, then cut another piece, AFTER you have swallowed. Even put your knife and fork down while chewing, that way you eat slowly

@KateP...I definitely want to eat "like a European", just hoping small utensils early on will help me with that! :)