Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello - I am pre-op for the sleeve and 2 weeks prior to surgery my diet will be Protein Shakes and liquids only. The 1st surgeon I went to wanted me to do 7 slim fast shakes a day which seemed like a lot of calories. Also I can not tolerate whey Protein which I know is the best one out there. If I have more than one shake a day with Whey I feel sick to my stomach.

For my daily diet I usually have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and one for lunch sometimes I use a whey shake but mostly I have plant or soy based Protein Shakes. I am meeting with another surgeon soon and hope that these will be acceptable for him.

Does anyone know if these are ok pre-op liquid diet and if you can add fruit and other powders to your shakes if they are nonfat. Also I use Silk Almond Milk vanilla Unsweetened to mix with them and there is less than 1 gram of fat.

Does anyone have any advice for someone with this particular digestive problem?

It sounds like you have some lactose intolerance in you. Whey Protein is generally the best absorbed Protein for us, which is why it is preferred in most plans. Try to find one that is 100% whey isolate which has the lactose filtered out as part of the isolate process; it is more expensive which is why many products use blends of isolate and cheaper whey blends. There are also a few products out there that use egg protein which is supposed to be similar in absorption. You can also try using Lactaid tablets when dairy is unavoidable. As a side note, the greek yogurt that is a high protein staple for most WLS folks has most, if not all, of the lactose fermented out so is usually well tolerated.

Usually, the idea of the pre-op diet for those docs who require them is to improve the condition of the liver prior to surgery, which primarily involves cutting the carbs way back, so the fruit would most likely be a no-no, but the small amount of fats in most of the recommended products would be OK. Why some docs require liquids only while others go with a more straightforward low carb diet pre-op is a mystery; I've never found a particularly good answer for that (my doc didn't require any of that so I never paid much attention to it when I was pre-op.)

Edited by RickM

fruit is definitely out because fructose (natural fruit sugar) is broken down in the liver as opposed to the stomach so it is counterproductive during the pre-op diet. I am lactose intolerant, and I have tolerated 3 - 4 whey Protein isolate shakes per day. I use Unjury because that was the first one I tried and I liked it. Good luck!

I have the same issue. I use Unjury (which i got from the unjury website) and Syntrax Nectar in tbe unflavorex and vanilla torte. No prolem with those at all.

Where do you get your injury from

I get my Unjury from www.unjury.com one of the best Proteins out there! Love all of their powders...

I use Isopure unflavored. It's 100% pure whey isolate and nothing else. There are also soy isolates if you can't tolerate any whey at all. Orgain Organic makes a vegan shake, but it's only 16gm per serving however, that's more than the Slim fast shakes which clock in at 10gm. I personally liked the taste of Orgain, especially the chocolate.

You could try Whole Foods for non whey Proteins. Vega is really popular among my vegetarian/vegan friends. I would recommend trying as many samples and brands as possible before surgery . Those first few weeks post op you will be dependent on them. Having more than one type to choose from will help with the boredom your palette may feel. I liked the unflavored Protein since I could mix that with Soup or broth and break up the constant sweet taste.

I will give the unjury a try for the unflavored. Does the Orgain have unflavored I can mix into the Soups and stuff. I really want to do no WHEY if possible but get as much Protein as I can from other sources. I have been doing my own Protein shake diet with 1 shake breakfast, protein & veggies lunch, and dinner or breakfast & lunch shakes and dinner this has been 5 days a week for 2 years so I have tried a lot of different protein sources over that time. Do they sell Unjury in any store or only online? I would like to try the Orgain as well. Do they have that one at Whole Foods and does it come in an unflavored one?

Thanks for all the advice. I have tried the Prostat to add to my Water which is 15g protein per 2 tablespoons. There is no whey protein in that and I seem to handle it well. Its calories and protein 0 carb so it works well.

I use EAS strawberry banana, EAS Fruits & Super Greens both have only 11 Proteins when I use my Almond Milk. I also use Spiru-Tein Protein 14 Proteins mix of pea, soy, rice protein 0 fat, I am trying to find a good unflavored one to add to broth and Soups for the 1st couple weeks post-op. My Mom made a bunch of little 4 oz containers for me with soups and broth for different weeks of the diet plan that I could add too. She drains all the fat after refrigerating the homemade broth and uses that in her cooking so it will be low sodium, low fat broth.

The vegan Orgain only comes in vanilla or chocolate flavors. You can buy a soy Protein from Bob's Red Mill. When mixing unflavored powders with hot foods I find it best to mix the powder separate. I use a whisk to get it smooth and lump free. I then temper the mix by slowly adding a ½ tsp at a time of Soup or whatever warm beverage I am making before mixing the whole thing together.Cooking to causes it to clump.

Update on the Beneprotein. I mixed a scoop with my Soup and couldn't really taste it. It was a little bit of a creamier broth but not at all thick. Also, it dissolved just fine in the hot soup. No lumps or weird thickness. Now whether or not I will feel the same about the taste post-op....that remains to be seen. For pre-op so far, so good.