Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will i have to give up my favorites?

Hi I'm new, my surgery date is 6-21-07. I'm still unclear what life will be like in the future, like will there be lots of things I wont be able to eat anymore and what happens if you drink a beverage with your meal? So many questions and cant find all the answers.:help:

Life will still be life. Just a little different, if you want it to be.

I have found that my general lifestyle is so much better now, than it ever was when I "enjoyed" pizza, coke, chips, and other junk foods.

No, you may not be able to eat all the foods you do now. But If those foods got you to the point in your life where you need weight loss surgery, are they really all that good for you? Is it worth it in the long run to give those things up if need be?

To answer your question on drinking when you eat, the reason we are told to wait is that the liquid can turn the food in to mushy sludge, and it goes through the band a lot quicker than solid foods.

Jen,

No you do not have to give up your favorites. I thought my life of eating good stuff was over. Wrong.

It is the amount ONLY that changes.

I did give up carbonation. I tried my diet mountain dew after letting it set out overnight (dr recommendation) and with every very small sip I would have to burp.

Diet Mountain Dew was my all time favorite but this size 12 jeans feel like a good trade.

edie

Hi Jen,

Welcome to LBT! I think you will find a lot of help and support here. I have.

To answer your questions:

No, you won't have to give up your favorites. Once you have recovered from the surgery and have proper restriction, you should be able to eat normally. The difference is, you will be eating much less than you did before and will be feeling full, so you won't want to eat. The only exception to this I have found is carbonated beverages. While I have read some people will still drink them, I have been told to cut them out completely.

Right after surgery you will go through the process of allowing your stomach to heal from surgery and will most likely be instructed to re-introduce foods slowly. Most people go on a liquid only diet for a period of time, then on to pureed foods, soft foods and eventually your regular diet. Depending on your surgeons requirements, this can take anywhere from 1-8 weeks, but I think on average it is usually about 4-6. It's not as bad as it sounds. Right after surgery your stomach will be swollen. You will be instructed (most likely) to sip very small amounts throughout the day. You will not be hungry. My appetite and desire to eat came back around 2 weeks after surgery. Everybody is different, though.

Nothing "bad" will happen if you drink with your meal, but your band will not work as efficiently. The idea is to keep your stomach full. The easiest and most productive way to do this is with solid food because it takes the longest to break down and stays in your new pouch the longest. When you drink while eating or soon after eating, you are washing the food down with your beverage. It defeats the purpose of having the band. (Why go through the trouble of having surgery if it's not going to work? Know what I mean?)

I hope this helps. If you think of any more questions, please post them. Also, there is a thread for people being banded in June. I would consider finding that thread and getting involved. You will find a lot of people with the same questions, fears, etc. that are going to be going through this with you at the same time. It's a great support. You will also hear the stories of those that just got banded, so you will know better what to expect.

Good luck to you!

I understand why you are not supposed to drink with meals, but what is the reason for refraining from drinking 30 minutes before meals? Doesn't Water go right on through?

Also, I was wondering about drinking. How much Water can you drink at one time? (not banded yet) I actually have no problem getting 8-10 glasses of water a day. I like water. I drink about 1-2 glasses at a time usually. If I am not eating, how much water can I drink at once? I am worried about getting enough water in post surgery.

Thanks,

Alysa

I understand why you are not supposed to drink with meals, but what is the reason for refraining from drinking 30 minutes before meals? Doesn't Water go right on through?

Also, I was wondering about drinking. How much Water can you drink at one time? (not banded yet) I actually have no problem getting 8-10 glasses of water a day. I like water. I drink about 1-2 glasses at a time usually. If I am not eating, how much water can I drink at once? I am worried about getting enough water in post surgery.

Thanks,

Alysa

Some doctors don't subscribe to the 30 minutes before thing. But the theory behind it is that you will have water in the upper pouch, and it will turn your solid food to mush, leaving you hungry.

I can drink a 750ml bottle of water in about 2 minutes.