Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band vs. RNY long term

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am in the middle of the process to get the surgery. I have felt that lapband was right for me up until recently. My main concern is that I will still eat the same foods(junk), just smaller amounts and more often. My question is for the people who have had lapband is do you find yourself still eating the junk food or has the surgery changed the way you look at food and keeps you on the right track?

My second concern is long term. Have the people who have had lapband more than 5 years ago been able to keep the weight off?

I am still mostly leaning towards lapband, but I have a real sweet tooth and want to make sure I do not regret the surgery I go with.

Thanks to any who reply.

I can't help you with the first, because I am not banded yet.

The second, though, I might be able to help you with. The long-term (well, up to 10 years post-surgery) weight loss statistics for banding are equivalent to the long-term statistics for RNY bypass. The last scientific article I saw even made the implication that banding MAY be more successful than bypass after 10 years. They couldn't come right out and make that conclusion, since they didn't have enough evidence yet, but they hinted at it. And that paper was a summary of all the results published in English-language journals that were from studies with more than three years patient follow-up and more than 100 participants. The results they showed were that the 8-year results for banding were statistically identical to the 10-year results for RNY. That leads to the question of how the 10-year results for banding compare with the 10-year results for RNY. If the 8-year banding results are identical to 10-year results for bypass, the 10-year banding results would probably exceed the 10-year bypass results.

Hi LTjr,

Unfortunately the band is not a cure for obesity, just a tool to help control obesity. The band provides a physical barrier to overeating, but every bandster has to exercise some restraint in their food choices. I've eaten junk food with my band, but not very much at a time. I found that before my band, junk food was a huge crutch for me, the act of eating LARGE amounts of junk was the ONLY passion I had in my life, there was NOTHING that made me happier than being by myself, sitting in front of the tv, and having a huge spread of food around me and I would just inhale it all. In the process, of course, I would just get fatter, setting that whole process in motion once again. That act is not an option now, the band doesn't allow me to eat huge amounts of anything anymore. So eating a small amount of junk doesn't give me pleasure, because I'm always left with wanting more. So I tend to stay away from those foods now, and it's getting easier with time.

With RNY you can't eat much of anything sweet or you'll experience "dumping", getting nauseous, vomiting, sweating and feeling really ill (at least that's what I understood when I was researching it) so you physically CAN'T eat sweets anymore. I wan't to be able to eat a piece of birthday cake without getting sick, so that's why I chose the band.

My choice for the band was a simple one. I could either go on living my life morbidly obese and miserable, or take a chance and do SOMETHING. The band has saved my life and I feel I've made the right choice.

I hope this has helped, good luck in your decision.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

laurend- Thanks for that piece of info. That was basically what I was looking for. Long term success is very important to me (as I am sure all who get this).

Buffie- I am now where you were a year ago, so I definitely get what you are saying. It is very encouraging to see someone with a similar lifestyle break out of it and take control of their eating. Congrats on the progress! Your success has me feeling more confident that this surgery is more for me than RNY. I want to use the band as an aid, not a crutch.

If anyone else has an opinion, I would love to hear it.

laurend- Thanks for that piece of info. That was basically what I was looking for. Long term success is very important to me (as I am sure all who get this).
You are very welcome!

I can't help you with the second question...I've had mine since March 07. BUT...I've completely changed my way of eating! I'm to nervous to try anything "doughy". I won't try bread, donuts, cake...I don't want to get it stuck. I've read to many horrible "stuck" stories I just don't want to go there.

My thoughts are, my stomach is Very small...I need to fill it with good things first. I make sure I get the Protein I need first before adding any types of carbs. I'm watching the weight melt away...I've gone through all this hard work and I'm loosing weight I'm not going to do anything to compromose it!

I have however changed my ways of thinking...I watch how people around me eat, and find it very disturbing! I have tried to change the way my family eats because I don't want my children to end up like ME!

It really is a mind set and you have to be determined. If you are questioning yourself or concerned you will comprimise the band, you may want to consider the RNY as you Can NOT have sugar due to DUMPING syndrome.

Thanks Raven5683!

I love the new outlook on food that you now have. Understanding how other people change after surgery makes me more confident that I can do it also. I don't want to eat that crap anymore, but I don't like the idea of re routing my anatomy to do it. I understand it will be more difficult to keep those foods away, but it seems that a lot of people see those foods in a different light after surgery. I am seeing lots of success in this forum and I know I can be another one. Thanks for the advice!

You're Welcome! And Best Wishes with which ever way you choose to go! Don't over think it...just do it. You'll realize the hard work you've put in, it will come to you what you need to do. Remember it's just a TOOL! I know people keep saying that but it's the Truth!