Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I posted once before but I am almost to the surgery point. I have one final pre-op with my surgeon on Thursday. I am visiting the hospital tomorrow for some sort of tour (I think), then Friday after the surgeon clears me I meet the anesthesiologist and get typed and crossed for blood (which scared me). I am better about the typing and crossing now. I am having a big fear of the unknown. I have no problem with being knocked out (been there before) but I am deathly scared of waking up in tons of pain. Also I think there is a little fear about how much this is going to change my life. I know I need it but I am still very scared, I expect to be more scared as surgery approaches.

I have been doing the liquid diet starting Monday March 16. I am no longer at the point of thinking of my cats as food sources, but when out running errands and I smell food, I WANT IT. I have been doing good (3 Protein Shakes a day, maybe a snack of Jello or similar). I am sick and tired of chocolate flavored Protein drinks but have been trying some others. I saw on the boards some surgeons let them have 1 last meal before surgery and I am hoping my surgeon does. I don't want anything too bad - steak (or lamb) and veggies. I know steak will be one of the last things added to my diet and that is a hard thought since before I had steak at least once a week. Lamb has become a new favorite.

My doctor did not even do a Type and Screen as blood loss is uncommon for the sleeve. It CAN happen, but rarely does. So that's a good thing.

About the pain- you will find a lot of different stories as pain is quite individualized for this procedure. Most people get gas pain-- the most important thing you can do is walk to clear that. The narcotics will make it worse.

Post-op pain is usually treated the first day with an IV pump which you control. After that it is a liquid by mouth.

My story: I woke up crying aloud in the recovery room. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was having a heart attack as I had this incredible pain circling my entire chest. Some part of me recognized it was gas pain. When they got me to my room, the nurse set me up in a recliner and I started to feel better. I had practically no post-op pain and took a few doses of the IV pain medicine just to sleep! Walking relieved the rest of the gas pain and I was fortunate to have an uncomplicated recovery.

Good Luck!

I had read there was very little blood loss then it scared me when they wanted to do blood type and cross.

I hope I don't have much pain. Lately with the all liquid diet I have been belching and farting up a storm, I miss food.

Hi there, I too have my surgery on the 31st March. I was not told do a liquid diet for 2 weeks, just to restrict my carb, fat and sugar intake and to increase my Protein, making sure my total calorie intake was under 1000 cals per day. That being said I have decided to stick to Protein shakes for the most part, and only having chicken breast and veg when I feel like eating something.

I would not want to advise you against what you have been told but I do wonder why Doctors recommendations can vary greatly. I hope your Dr will allow you a last meal of steak (or lamb) but if you can stay strong and resist, even better. 8 days till we too are on the sleeved side :D

I would kill for some protien in my diet that I actually got to chew. I am having tons of gas which I am guessing is the liquids (not much else has changed) and its annoying to be burpy and gasy.

Hang in there it's almost over! Try not to stress :) good luck to you!!!

The difference in the pre -op diet has to do with each person's bmi... According to my Doc if your bmi is lower than 38 then ur just on a quick restricted diet and extra Protein. If it's over 39-40 or over then they take extra precautions, it also has a lot to do with the type of surgery each person is opting for.

PS. My surgery is set for Tuesday, March 31st as well and my last pre op app. Is set for Thursday also! Lol! I'm having mine either done in SoCal.

Yeah, the Protein thing is a little difficult... But you are right we all can get through it, especially since we all know what's at the end of the rainbow ????

Tomorrow's the day! Just wanted to wish you good luck and a speedy recovery :)

Getting super nervous and super duper excited!! Tomorrow is the 1st day of the rest of our new lives!! Congrats to all 31st sleeves!

How are any other March 31st sleevers holding up? I feel like I'm doing OK, wound wise, gas is miserable so going to go get some gas X IN a bit. It's taking a bit of getting used to the gurgling feeling that comes about every swallow of liquid I take. And the heartburn too. But I'm praying that issue will subside some as I heal.

I feel like I want to curl up and die. I can't get in enough fluids (wasn't a big drinker before) and have developed a cold (sore throat, runny nose, cough). All I want to do is sleep. I felt much better in the hospital.

Oh no @@amchurch12000 you should eat seeing your doctor immediately. You don't want to end up being sick while you are also trying to heal, or worse yet end up with pneumonia! Have you checked for fevers?? Definitely go see your doc. GL and keep us posted!

Edited by Loss78