Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oct. 5th Banding

Hello everyone!

thought I would give an update as to how things have gone for me. I had my pre op visit with Dr. Johnell in Greeley Co. I got on the scale and to my suprise I had lost 8 lbs prior to surgery :D

My surgery was on Oct. 5th at about 1:00 p.m. but went very 'routinely' I woke up later in the day and looked at my tummy and thought "well....I can't change my mind now!" lol. I lay in my bed for a bit longer then began walking the halls, I read the sooner your up and moving the better, I believe it is a true statement.

After 3 'walks' I was sitting in my room and a lady I didn't recognize came in with a bouquet of flowers, at first I thought she may have the wrong room but soon learned that it was Hopeful1! (denise) what a sweet heart to bring me flowers! so what do two people from lapband.com do when they first meet? well I raised my gown and showed her my incision! lol It was so great meeting her and visiting face to face.

The next morning after going in and swallowing the barium solution to make sure that my band was allowing liquid to flow through properly I was able to eat 1oz. portions every 15 min. of Jello, juice, Decaf coffee, broth. The ride home (5 hrs) was fine and I only snoozed slightly, I was glad to be going home.

The first 2 days were ok, I slowly sipped Water and drank my protien drink mostly for Breakfast and ate about 2 tablespoons of mashed potatos for lunch and a protien drink or Soup for supper. Now the 3rd day through the 7th was very rocky for me and I wondered if I had done the right thing by doing this surgery! I was in pain mostly at night (sore, felt dehydrated, TIRED,) had gas badly! so chomped down a few GasX and that worked very well. When I had gone in for my first week checkup I had lost another 13 lbs!

I am now 3 weeks out and can truthfully say I am very happy that I have had the surgery.... Every day seems a little different as I am getting to know my band. After my first visit I was told I couldn't have a fill for 5 weeks due to healing process, I won't lie, I have been one starving women! after your fleet, broth and protien drinks and hardly any restriction....... I feel like the 'old' me is back, then all of a sudden, I get a little restriction and I remember what it feels like and can't wait to get my first fill or two. I will admit I didn't stick to the 'diet' as well as was directed. I eat what taste and feels good, by that I mean chicken fixed in my pressure cooker, fish, a few veggies and very little fruit, yogurt, potatos, Soups. I have to talk to myself to stay with smaller portions but have realized the quanity I am eating is about 1/2 of my 'old' ways with out trying to hard to hold back.

I went out for breakfast the other morning and ordered a meal from the senior menu, showed them my lapband card, and the waitress said oh, ok sure. I was happy with myself for not being embarrassed to show my card and explain my situation. She come back out with a full meal instead of

half, and said "sorry we didn't have a half meal back there". I looked at her and said please bring me a box....now,and I would love some more decaf coffee. My take home box was back at our table lickety split, I was determined that if she didn't bring it right away I wasn't leaving a tip.

I wondered if I could stop at half the meal, I was scared I might be able to eat the whole thing! Nice to report that I ate my protien first, ( 1 egg, maybe half chicken fried steak chewed thoroughly!!!!! with some gravy) and never touched my hash browns, put it all in the box and wasn't hungry all day! didn't even think about the box sitting in the fridge! my son ate it the next morning for breakfast.

I know I should be eating pureed foods but I am cutting very, very small bite sized bites, I have found I needed something to 'chew' on I had enough liquids! I seem to be staying fuller longer than pureeing my meat, I do believe the doctors ask you to stay as close to the recomended diet as possible so as not to irritate your band or tummy while it goes through the healing stage and I quite agree as I had an experience I won't soon forget! I popped a normal size bite into my mouth without thinking about it and chewed slightly and swallowed but it was to late! it hit my stomach like a ton of bricks! felt like it was lodged between the band and stomach, also felt like your having a heart attack! wouldn't recomend that experience right off the bat to anyone! So now whenever I chew my meat I CHEW and CHEW my meat!.

Not sure if I have lost any weight since my first week post op visit, I was told I was on my own and had to have some will power and not to be upset if I didn't lose any or maybe gained a lb or two, I decided I would try a little test with myself, to not weigh in until my first fill Nov.18th. I wanted to try and 'feel' my weight loss if any, so far I have begun walking and trying a little bit of aerobics, no stomach exercises yet, still abit sore, maybe more afraid lol, and smaller portions of food. What I am finding is some of my more 'fatty' spots are trimming away, under my arms, my hips, legs, could be more toning from the walks than losing but I wanted to learn to not get all hung up on the scale, and realize I will have those times where I am going to be plateauing and my body is catching up.

I asked my 15 year old son "Hey, can you tell that I have lost any in my tummy yet?" he looked at me for a second and smiled and said " mom! your face looks alot thinner already!" LOLOL

I know I have written a book but wanted to catch you all up on my new life adventure! To all wondering and waiting on surgery, just my opinion, I am so happy I made the decision.......

takin' baby steps!

Maurine

Maurine

Maurine, you sound like your doing fantastic! Keep up the good work and congrats on the 13lbs+ you have lost already! Here's to losing lots more!!! Don't be discouraged if you gain now that you are eating normal foods. Took me quite awhile to be ok with that but i'm getting used to it and know that when I have my first fill it will ALL be new again! So keep doing what your doing, you sound happy and healthy and after all that's what counts and that's why we all did this! Much love to you, keep us posted ok!

Maurine, Congratulations on getting your band and doing so well! Please do be careful about solids too soon. During the mushie stage, I found that I could run just about anything through the blender and eat it. I didn't feel so deprived then. That is so sweet that Denise (LBTer) came to see you! I know that made you feel better right off the bat!

Maurine your experience sounds a lot like mine. I couldn't do the liquids for long either. I was so afraid that it would stop me from losing, but luckily it hasn't. I slowed way down once I resumed regular foods, but It's still on the downward trend, about a pound or so a week. I am trying to make mostly good food choices, but allow myself a little room for normalcy, and so far it's working.

Congratulations on being banded, and best wishes for continued success!

PS

That really was sweet of Hopeful1, imagine how much good she inspired with that single act. First the good feeling it gave you, and next how you would have given off that vibe to others you came in contact with, and now the nice vibe it sends out to all who read your post... talk about pay it forward! Angels do come in all shapes and sizes don't they?