Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not feeling so great -what do you think?

I am now 5 weeks post op, no fill yet - on solids for over a week.

Today I tried to eat a sandwhich and realized quickly that the bread was too fresh and was not going through. I felt really stuck, very panicky, even got an ache in the middle of my forehead. I burped like crazy but it did not come up, evetually subsided. I still have a dull ache in between my shoulder blades and my tummy doesn't feel great (it is also th first time having my period with the band - don't know if that makes a difference).

I have been sipping Water fine, just feel yucky and burping. Any suggestions? Should I stick to fluids for the rest of the day?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I think I would stick to fluids for the rest of the day. You probably inflamed your esophegus when the bread got stuck. I've done that before--gotten something stuck, and then my chest aches for a while, and I get a little heartburn. Staying on liquids should give it time to reduce that inflamation. I never can eat soft bread--toast is fine, but not soft bread. Rice and Pasta give me trouble too, so be careful with those, too.

yes, any time you have an episode (stuck, thow up, etc) go back to liquids for a day or so. an episode usually causes your esophagus to swell and it needs to have time to go down.

fresh bread is ordinarily a no-no for the rest of your life for a lapbander. and sandwiches should really not be on your menu, espcially this early....just 5 weeks!! if you have to have a little bread, you can toast it very crunchy. But remember that white bread (as well as other white starches....potatoes, rices, Pasta, corn) are high in calories and will keep you from losing as quickly as you could without them. Always eat your Protein first and a few veggies if you have room and you can push the scale right on down (and also eliminate the cravings that white carbs cause when they cause the sugar in your body to crash).

When you get stuck like that, it's normal reaction to try to drink and push it down....but that's the worst thing you can do. Try walking around, bending over, massaging your tummy, chewing some papaya tablets (if it's Protein that's stuck....it's won't do anything for bread).

Many of us find that we're a bit tighter when it's that time of the month. Fluids are a good idea the rest of the day.

It WILL happen again (maybe not for a long time, though), even though we think we've learned our lesson, and swear that we won't ever let that happen again, inevitably, we revert back to our old habits and eat either too fast, or too much, or we don't chew well enough... Don't beat yourself up too bad over it, and just try to be careful. (((hugs)))

Oh, and sometimes...even if you're being diligent, there will be some food that you just cannot handle, no matter how hard you try.... Trial and error...

I have only been brave enough to even eat toasted bread 9 mos post op. I am scared of getting something stuck and am very cautious.

Re read your guidelines ok?

edie

Thank you all. I guess I wsa being cocky because I have not had a fill yet and thought I could eat anything. The sandwhich was supplied for a meeting and it was whole wheat, so I thought I would try. Took small bites but....okay no more fresh bread for me!

I had Soup last night and feel fine today. Thanks for all your advice.

Hi Susan, same thing happened to me even with the bread toasted. Horrible feeling isn't it. Crackers don't give me any problem whatsoever. I haven't had rice or Pasta yet but people seem to have problems with that too. That's ok, we don't need that stuff anyway. I treat myself with a DQ small cone once a week.