Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op and forced myself to eat

I was just windering if you should force yourself to eat if you are not hungry. Today I had some sauté shrimp, 4 oz of a Protein Shake, 6 oz of apple juice, 4 ozs Water, 4 oz tea. I know that I should have more so I a had few spoons of greek yogurt and I feel like a fat pig and need to puke. Should I force to myself to eat even if I am not hungry?

Maybe not force yourself so much as entice yourself! Are you not able to tolerate food at all, or is it just that you can't eat but a little bit? The important thing is to get in your Water and your Protein. Did you have hernia repair surgery during your sleeve surgery? If you did have the hernia repair, it will take a little longer to heal. I was on stage 1 baby food for quite a while right after surgery, that may be a solution for you. If you can't tolerate the Protein shakes, try getting some unflavored Protein powder and adding it to Water, then add some Water Enhancer drops (get at the grocery store) until it is to your liking. Good luck to you!

You just want to make better food choices. Protein and Water are key. You drank 6 oz of apple juice. That's pretty much pure sugar. It may count towards your Fluid goals, but it's not going to hlep with your protein.When we don't meet out protin goals our bodies start taking it from other sources. This is when we start to lose hair excessively.

For most of us it's hard to eat solid foods. Our healing tummies can't handle things like shrimp. What source of dietary recommendation dod you nutritionist give you?

I just got out of the hospital where I've been since 3 days after surgery and I'm on clear larisa for another 3 weeks. I hope your able to find what works :-)

I was not able to drink the Protein Shakes. I restarted yesterday and can only drink a little bit of it. I drank the apple juice because they told me since I am only getting in 100 to 200 calories a day that it will not hurt me at this point and I was dehydrated. I drank that over a period of 3 hrs. I passed out and have to get some type of Fluid and food in. I am able to eat soft meats which the shrimp was very soft and I handled that. I eat meat other days and tolerate it. I just eat o little and am full for the rest of the day. When I eat one thing for Breakfast I am not hungry and can not eat anything else. I did not have hernia repair.

@@WendieBryant I hope that you are doing ok. I am finding things that work for me. I just can't get much down and couldn't do the Protein Shakes until now.

I was in the hospital with a pic line to give me nutrition, this had been a truly miserable experience for me. I was home 3 days after surgery which wad the 24th and in the hospital until yesterday. I have a severe stricture. I'm so happy to hear all the encouraging seccess stories...I'm losing weight like mad but so sick, in was even flown out to a larger facility. .

Oh my goodness! !! I am sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you and quickly. Your weight loss is awesome. I am down 20lbs. They said I am not getting enough food or fluids in. I am just now able to do 20ozs a day and that is drinking all day.

@@trulyamazingtoo - Ask you nutritionist what's the best course for you. I would say set a minimum goal and try to stick with that, but don't eat until you a ill.

@@trulyamazingtoo I have a question.... I am about 2 weeks post-op and I am always hungry. I eat a little bit though and I am full (pureed foods). I got about 900 calories today. Most in about 6 weeks (pre-op diet was 30 days).

Is that because my head hasn't got used to the smaller stomach yet? Will there be a time I'm not hungry at all like that? I was kind of hoping for that result to help ensure that I wouldn't eat so much. I've lost about 48 pounds in 6 weeks, so I'm on the right track.... so just wondering. Thanks.

Edited by DisforDavid

@@DisforDavid ... Hi David, I am sure someone else has a more accurate answer as I am still pre-op, but I have read several times on here that we all will get "head hunger"... so, just tell your tummy it's bored, not hungry and to SHUT IT lol...best of luck to you .. oh yeah and you should post more pictures :)

I will post some soon. Thanks @MoMo12onTheGo. What about portion sizes? I am eating about 4 - 4.5 oz of pured foods a meal right now fine with no problem. If I feel full, I stop. I also worked up to this over the past couple days. The first couple days it was like 2, then 3, and now I am at 4 - 4.5. Is that normal? I'm not stretching my stomach out? Thanks!

@@DisforDavid .. I am shocked to hear you are even eating that much food. My bariatric team told me once I was far out from surgery I would be able to eat approx 4oz. ...Sorry David.. this is where I defer to someone else lol.. Can I ask if you regret your surgery.. are you happy yet about doing it or having regrets? I will be having surgery mid April and like hearing what newly sleeved really think? Is the gas pain in your shoulders bad? What about drains?

@@DisforDavid That is a hard question to answer since I struggle to get in 200 calories a day. You would discuss that with your nutritionist but you probably are having a problem with acid. That can make you feel hungry sometimes. I have Acid reflux and sometimes my stomach feels like its growling and it really the acid. I take my protonix and then I am fine.

Everyone is different and you seem to be still losing. I am not losing as I should due to not getting enough nutrients. It just feels wrong to me eating when I am not hungry. I dont want start with that bad habit of eating for no reason.

@@DisforDavid