Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else worry about all the artificial sweeteners?

I cut out eating almost all artificial sweetners years ago because I didnt like the idea of putting all that fake crap in my body. Now it obviously become an issue because its so prevalent in most of the foods im allowed to have for the near future. Anyone else concerned about this and if so how are you handling it?

I not use very little of them - mostly in the sugar free tora I flavors in my Protein Drinks or coffe. Mostly I use Stevia, which is a natural sweetener. Once me tora is are gone I'm switching to the SweetDrops, which are naturally sweet and you use much less--by drops from eye dropper in the lid. Whole Foods or similar places carry them--some nutrition/health stores do too.

I cut out artificial sweeteners years ago as well and am also struggling now. It seems as though more and more products are starting to use Stevia. I have been trying to stick to those.

I try to avoid artificial sweeteners and don't use them if I can avoid it. You can go through this program without using them excessively. You have to read a lot of labels but it is doable!

I worry about that too. Does anyone know of any good sites or books with recipes that don't include artificial sweeteners? I feel like almost every WLS recipe site I've been to uses them.

I use them, but I try to use the stevia or Monk Fruit when possible and nothing with sugar alcohols. The alcohols give me insane gas which I quite embarrassing at work. I'm really trying to just cut out the sweetness all together.

Edited by millergirl314

Im not opposed to Stevie. It just seems like its not in a lot of products and when it is they are so expensive. Ive actually read Stevia has some health benefits. I did find a protien shake with Stevia called Jay Robb brand. Its at Whole Foods. Its on the approved list from my dr office. Unfortunately, I purchase a 3 lb container of something else that I need to use up before I can switch over.

Thank you for this question!! I was going through the posts to try to find it so I didn't duplicate the question myself. I do NOT use artificial sweeteners under any circumstance due to the fact that they trigger bad Migraines for me. I need to figure out how to do this post-op without anything except what's in the Protein Powder. It seems like the whole list is nothing but artificially sweetened stuff... sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles etc.

I don't like the sugar free stuff and don't eat it. There is no reason to have any of the SF Jello or popsicles if you don't like them. I stick with a lot of yogurt and try to avoid the "nonfat" yogurt as it usually has more sugar or sugar substitutes. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury also has a good chicken broth which has lots of Protein.

I cut out eating almost all artificial sweetners years ago because I didnt like the idea of putting all that fake crap in my body. Now it obviously become an issue because its so prevalent in most of the foods im allowed to have for the near future. Anyone else concerned about this and if so how are you handling it?

I don't eat them. It's a bit more challenging but you don't have to eat artificial foods. I am allergic to most artificial sweeteners and stevia. I also don't do well with processed foods. I don't eat them. I cook from scratch. I use Isopure unflavored Protein powder. I can be mixed in juice, coffee, tea, Soup, you name it. I do not eat diet foods of any kind. I try no to buy anything that has more than 10 ingredients or reads like a science project. I and 6mths and I have lost 75lbs since the day of surgery.

Can you give examples of what you consumed immediately post op? Most of the things on my list are sugar-free popsicles, sugar free Jello, etc. I have no problem eating and drinking a diet like you describe but I also want to stick to what my surgeon tells me. I have the question into him as well. It looks like no broths or anything like that until week 2? I don't drink coffee or anything really besides Water at this point.

I use way less artificial stuff now than I did when I used to "diet". Gave up diet soda entirely which was the worst of it. Excluding my whey Protein supplement which contains sucaralose, I pretty much stick to stevia in my tea or just use sugar now when I bake. Real butter, real cheese, real eggs, etc. I only get a little bit these days and opt for natural even if it's more calories. As long as I don't over eat, it's not been a problem.

Can you give examples of what you consumed immediately post op? Most of the things on my list are sugar-free popsicles, sugar free Jello, etc. I have no problem eating and drinking a diet like you describe but I also want to stick to what my surgeon tells me. I have the question into him as well. It looks like no broths or anything like that until week 2? I don't drink coffee or anything really besides Water at this point.

Can you give examples of what you consumed immediately post op? Most of the things on my list are sugar-free popsicles, sugar free jello, etc. I have no problem eating and drinking a diet like you describe but I also want to stick to what my surgeon tells me. I have the question into him as well. It looks like no broths or anything like that until week 2? I don't drink coffee or anything really besides water at this point.

First of all I talked to my nutritionist. I wanted to make sure she was aware that I was vegetarian and allergic to artificial sweeteners and stevia. I think did my homework. I spent 2 weeks reading and searching for Protein powders. I didn't eat jello or popsicles. The first 2 weeks I was on full liquids. I did a lot of FAGE 0% greek yogurt. I would mix it in the nutra bullet with Protein powder. I finally settled on Isopure unflavored. It's 100% whey isolate. No coloring's or sugars added. I also added cacao powder or ½ tbsp almond butter to my shakes. I also used vegetable broth. I pureed black Beans, strained the skins and thinned it out with veg broth. I drank organic Kefir. In the hospital I was given Pro-Source no carb. I mixed that with herbal tea first thing in the morning. I did use CVS whey Protein powder for a bit. It has sucrolose in it. (Generic splenda) I didn't have too much of a reaction to it, but I switched to the Isopure since that mixes with hot or cold. I drank mostly water. Some very diluted apple juice. I found that I did better with lots of ice.

Edited by BLERDgirl

That is such a big help to me!! Thank you so much!!!

My Surgery Date is April 15 so it's really coming up fast :)

Terrific! I find that when you want to do a non typical bariatric diet you have to do your research and then present your plan to your nutritionist. As long as it makes sense, they should be okay with it.