Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time frame for people that have surgery out of town...

My daughter is going out of town for sleeve surgery. For others that have had surgery out of town, how long did you remain in the city where you had surgery and when did you have your first follow-up appt with your surgeon? Or did you wait until you got back home and just had follow up care at home?

My daughter is going out of town for sleeve surgery. For others that have had surgery out of town, how long did you remain in the city where you had surgery and when did you have your first follow-up appt with your surgeon? Or did you wait until you got back home and just had follow up care at home?

I was sleeved in Mexico on 3/3. I flew in that morning and had surgery about 6 p.m. that night. I spent two nights in the hospital. The day I d/c to the hotel (which was actually just another wing of the hospital) I had my drain and IV taken out early in the morning. So by day 3 I was up for an excursion to the beach and by day 4 I flew from Mexico to MI (a total of about 12+ hour travel day). I noticed a HUGE difference by day 4. Day 3 I felt well enough to move around, but still had the tight feeling (gas) from surgery and when I drank anything. I plan on going to my PC back home for any necessary care locally, but my team from MX has checked in every day.

I had my surgery in Mexico as well. I flew in on a Sunday evening, surgery on Monday, that night in the clinic, Tuesday and Wednesday night in the hotel in Tijuana, Thursday night in a hotel in San Diego (right next to the airport), then Flew home on Friday morning. I could have just as easily flown out on Thursday, but I couldn't make it work with flight times and the shuttle across the border, thus the need to stay a night in San Diego.

I had my first follow-up appointment with my PCP to have blood work done at just about 2 months post-op.

Edited by JamieLogical

Thank you for your responses, they do ease my mind. My daughter is traveling to Tennessee from the east coast of North Carolina because I wanted her to have the same surgeon I had with my band. She's only taking a week off work, so I was a bit concerned about her traveling that far that soon after surgery.

I, too had surgery in Mexico. Arrived very late Thursday night, surgery Friday afternoon, back at hotel Saturday morning, followup with leak test Monday morning and flew home Monday afternoon. back at work Friday. I had to get IV fluids 3 times when I was 2-3 months postop due to severe diarrhea from a non-surgical medical issue, but my PCP took care of that, as well as my 3, 6, and 12 month bloodwork. As long as she has a doctor willing to take on her care back home I don't think she should have any problems.

Edited by Kindle

I flew from Wisconsin to North Carolina for surgery. We flew home one week after surgery. It made me feel more at ease being close to the doctor and staff as a new post-op.