Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet = protein shakes only

Hi everyone,

Just curious what your experience has been with the pre-op Liquid Protein shake diet... Today is my first day and I am supposed to be on it for two weeks until my surgery on 2/23.

How much can I expect to loose during this time? My calorie intake is going to be 800 - 1000 kcal daily.

Oh. And by the way, oh, do I want to eat now! Lol! But those days are over and here is for a new beginning on what should be a wonderful journey on the path to a healthier, slimmer and happier me!

My surgery is Mar 18. It really was true that after the first few days, it got easier for me. The first day or two, I was happy to have a chewable Multi-Vitamin, and Calcium chews! I am making my Protein drinks the way Bariatric Foodie suggests. She is on Facebook and has a blog. I have a Ninja blender and any blender that really chops up the ice well will work. I add the liquid first. (I use lowfat milk). Then I add the powder. Blend it really well, up to two minutes. Then, add enough ice to reach the top of the blended mixture. Anywhere from 2-5 ice cubes does it for me. I pulse/ blend it for almost two minutes and I get a thick, milkshake drink. I use Bariatric Advantage because that is what my surgeon recommends, but I have other types of Protein Powder, too. Bariatric Advantage is thicker than other brands. If you have another brand, and want it thicker, you can add some sugar-free, fat-free pudding (dry) when you add the protein powder. Wait about five minutes or so after blending and it will thicken up. You can add all kinds of extracts to change up the flavor. I also use PB2, the powdered Peanut Butter for a change once in a while. To be honest, I actually crave my shakes now. The main thing I've learned so far, is that i like my drinks cold! If I use a shaker bottle, I add a couple of ice cubes, and it tastes much better. At night, if I want a pudding, i add half the amount of milk and a tablespoon or so of the sf,ff pudding powder in a shaker bottle. I put it in the refrigerator for about ten minutes to thicken it. i've even added sf ff whipped topping for a change of pace. I keep track of my calories for the day, and don't go over the 1100 that i'm allowed. Sorry that I wrote a "novel' here, but I like to share what is working for me!

Thank you so much:)

I'm allowed to eat sf Popsicles sf Jello cream of mushroom Soup condensed Soups like that but I have to strain out the pieces. I'm also allowed sf pudding and then there is my Protein Shakes. I prefer the ready made shakes. I use the premir Protein and it suits the purpose. 30 grams protein 1 gram sugar and 160 cals. So I get to eat more of the soups to maintain my calorie intake.

Today was my first day on the preop diet also and I feel like I am going to bust open with over fullness!! I know that sounds weird but I have felt that all day long and it is not going away yet this evening. So it will definite take time to get used to. I am using Isopure, Unjury, and premade Premier Protein. So variety is not an issue it is just I feel stuffed. It may be nice if that feeling stays for the two weeks in many ways. We shall see. Next three days I travel for work so my luggage is overstuffed with stuff that is required but it is my only trip before surgery so I got this.

I've lost about 10 lb so far and I'm on day 5 of 21. I'm having trouble with diarrhea so far but was just informed that taking Fiber capsules will help. I'm pretty sick of the shakes already but I don't get the variety of products as many of you do :(