Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for support - Long Post...more of a "vent"

Hi all...I have a serious problem and was hoping someone out there in the band world could help. I've never posted before...so please bear with me.

I was banded on September 13, 2004. I've lost over 100lbs since then. The first two years were great. I was loosing weight, I was eating right, I was feeling and looking good.

Then I started having complications. I was in the hospital for Gastritis and an ulcer (which my doctors said were NOT related to my bad...yeah. right). They said there was nothing wrong with my band and that I needed to just eat better and take care of myself. I had been following everything to the letter (I'm a total type A) but I was still having problems loosing weight.

It got worse. Now, I'm at the point where I throw up undigested food after every single meal, sometimes two or three times a meal. Once it was so bad, I threw up at the table at dinner at a restaurant. I don't think there's a blockage, because sometimes I am able to tolerate foods on occasion. And it's not the type of foods I eat b/c it happens with every single type of food, Protein, carbs, veggies...it doesn't matter.

Plus, to make matters worse, I don't like my band doctors. They constantly make me feel like I'm making all this up and that there's nothing wrong with me. But this can't be normal. So I haven't gone to see them in over a year.

I'm terrified. I've been absolutely miserable. I've been binge eating because I know I'm just going to throw it up anyway. (Yes, I do realize this is becoming an eating disorder)...

So I guess I'm just looking for some kind of support...because I'm the only person I know with the band...and my friends/family don't really understand, nor do I expect them to. Should I get my band removed? I know I need to go to a new band doctor - but I don't even know where to begin to look for one...:cry

this sounds like your band is too tight. have you had a recent swallow study??? I would deflat your band for one to two weeks to alow the swelling to resolve then refill. are u mainly taking liquids? ??

Thanks so much for your post - I haven't had a swallow study since i was in the hospital for gastritis going on two years or so...I was hospitalized twice - once before Thanksgiving of 05 and Easter Weekend of 05...NPO for over 5 days each time. It's complete misery.

I chew my foods well - acutally I'm somewhat of an overchewer. I try to eat...I did the liquid diet thing but I'm starving.

an UGI may be a good idea or even an endoscopy the problem is the gastroenerologist dont always realize what they are seeing so a band surgeon should be involved. if your band has slipped often times removal is reqired you have only gained 20 lbs so aside from the binging you have good eating habbits. look around there are plenty of band surgeons who can help you...also are you still on ulcer meds???

I was only on protonix for a very short time after hospitalization. I currently take Prozac, Sonata, Klonipin (as needed), and Seasonle.