Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New idea for protein...and it tastes GOOD!

I am so disgusted with the vanilla cake batter and orange cream Protein shakes! I did purchase the Protein Powder without any flavor to added to everything. I hate to waste the shakes powders I purchased, but I honestly can't stand the taste of them anymore!????

I mixed the non flavored Protein Powder with a warm cup of chicken broth & it was pretty good! My dietician said I should be able to sprinkle it over all my dishes and this will help with my Protein intake. Is anyone having a hard time getting in 64 oz of Water?

I'm having a hard time with the Water. Today I was able to get 21 oz of water. So it seems everyday it's getting better and better. I hope this isn't stretching my pouch since I'm only 4 days Post-op.

@@CrissyBat

I don't think you will stretch your sleeve with Water, since you're not putting all the 64 ounces in at one time (or are you?!), it should be just what it wants to take. Are you trying the water-enhancer drops? Those really helped me get the Water in. If cold water seems to be the problem, and that isn't unusual, try tepid water. It is much "friendlier" to the tummy than cold. You can still use the flavorings in it, as well.

@@CrissyBat

I don't think you will stretch your sleeve with Water, since you're not putting all the 64 ounces in at one time (or are you?!), it should be just what it wants to take. Are you trying the water-enhancer drops? Those really helped me get the Water in. If cold water seems to be the problem, and that isn't unusual, try tepid water. It is much "friendlier" to the tummy than cold. You can still use the flavorings in it, as well.

@@CanyonBaby No I'm No where close to getting my 64oz. And No I haven't tried any water-Enchancers. I was too scared. But I think tomorrow I will try. Thanks for the advice.

@@ssourgirl

Maybe try GENEPRO, found on Amazon.com. It is a tiny scoop (compared to most unflavored whey powders), and you hardly notice it is there. It can be mixed in hot or cold beverages, and has virtually no taste. It has different size packages it comes in, up to 3lbs. And I think it is very reasonable. As for being nauseous, try drinking tepid Water as opposed to cold, so it isn't such a shock to the new tummy. Use the Water Enhancer drops (SOOOOO many flavors to choose from, as well as different brands) to help get in the fluids she needs. This is a life-time thing we need to do for ourselves, so find something you really like. Try mixing different flavors, too. Good luck!

OH! The GENEPRO has 30g of Protein per tiny scoop! Hurray!

I don't trust this company. I don't understand how it can have 30g of Protein in a 15g serving size.

I use Max Muscle MaxPro Protein as well as the Tripple Whey they both taste great but are a little on the pricy side. Both have 26g of protein per scoop the MaxPro has 140 calories, 10g of fat, 0g of sugar and 2g of carbs. The Tripple Whey has 130 calories, 5g of fat, 3g of sugar and 6g of carbs.

@@CrissyBat

Just try the enhancer drops a little at a time, to see how your tummy reacts. Maybe a drop to start, then build from there as you tolerate it. Let me know how it goes!

@@merry1126

I've heard other folks say that as well, so I brought the package to my NUT, since she had never heard of it. She didn't have a problem with it, but did notice that it hadn't appeared to have gone through any type of trials or testing. As far as the grams of Protein in the actual grams of product we couldn't really figure out, either, except we figured it is probably in the processing of the product. I'm not sure you can say it's something and it is not, legally, but who knows. I have used it for a couple of months now, with no ill effects, and it seems to be doing the job (although how can you tell?), so I'll use what I have, and consider other options, as well. Thanks for you input!!!

Also if you use the blender bottles it will mix your Protein very well with minimal foaming.

Edited by KingMoose

I'm loving the sugar-free hot apple ciders and sugar-free hot chocolates with the unflavored Protein powders! Nice change for those snowy days (it's snowing BUCKETS here today!), kinda hits the spot!

Isopure has Splenda. Just be careful if you're allergic to Splenda or chlorine. My better half gets muscle pain, memory loss, and other unpleasant side effects.

I thought I'd try throwing the unflavored Protein powder in just about anything wet, scrambled eggs, hot/cold drinks, Cereal w/ milk (hot or cold cereal), stew...just trying to get in extra wherever I can. My thought is this: If 60-80 grams is enough in shake form, then how come I am still losing hair? I get all that Protein and then some, but I am wondering if we drink it all, for the most part, won't some (or lots) wash out of us? Is enough getting absorbed? So I thought I'd try sneaking it in wherever I can, to see if it makes a difference, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to tell. Worth a try, I guess.

I'm day 3 post op, but the nurse who did my discharge instructions said that our bodies can only absorb 21g of protein a time. So the clear Isopure has 40g if you drink the whole bottle (not that I could all at once) you would just pee out about 1/2 of the protein. Also, some of the Hair loss is likely due to stress, anesthesia (depending on how far post op you are).

@@missheidi47

Yeah, I talked with my Dietician about this, as well, last time I saw her in March. When I asked about the Protein drinks "washing out" of the system, she said that the fluids will not "washout" until all the nutrients were absorbed. So the nutrient value would be utilized. Like surgeons, I guess all dieticians have their opinions! It's probably best to spread out the Protein throughout the day, instead of in one or two mass in-takings. I try to do that, anyway, but it makes you wonder why they make the Protein Drinks with higher protein values if it isn't going to be absorbed. Kinda like Vitamins - just "peed" out!

@@CanyonBaby

I will ask the dietician when I see her in a few weeks. Right now I can't do that much Protein all at once. During my pre-op diet I mixed Protein Powder with plain Greek yogurt, which is about 45g and really yummy. I guess if I do it next week when I'm on full liquids I will only be able to eat half (or less) at a time anyway.

Edited by missheidi47

Bariatricpantry.com will send you 14 different sample packs of Syntrax Nectars for $19.99.

When I get to missing soda pop (I have not had any for two years), I will mix up a Grapefruit Syntrax with Crystal Lite Lemonade. It tastes bang on like Fresca.

I tried it with the grapefruit syntrax that came in my sample pack and it is so good! thanks for the tip.