Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Snack, Stagnet and other Issues

WASaBubble Butt: I have been drinking this brand from GNC. Can you look at the label and tell me if this one is ok. I thought it was based on the carbs, caloires and sugar. I want to try it in the chocolate and vanilla if its ok. GNC Pro Performance® whey Protein - Unflavored. Sorry I couldnt make the link work.

Is this the same stuff I posted a link for earlier? If so, that product is designed for people trying to gain weight. If you'll look at the paragraph that I quoted, look at the very last sentence.

Here, I just found it:

>>This special blend of carbohydrates includes 83% complex carbohydrates (maltodextrin and fiber) and only 17% sugar. Each serving of this highly specialized sports formula boasts 66 grams of quality protein and 146 grams of carbohydrates when mixed with 2% milk. It also features a blend of essential fatty acids including some healthy unsaturated fats, medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which are quickly absorbed for energy, and no trans fats. This combination of Protein carbs and fat help to provide the extra-calories that you need to put on the added pounds you want.<<

I think the operative words in WASA's post for the Cookies N Cream were "help to provide the extra-calories that you need to put on the added pounds you want" - in other words, this particular drink is to help you GAIN weight. I'm not banded yet, but my doctor's instructions for Protein drinks are ones that contain 10-15 grams carbs, less than 10 grams of sugar and less than 200 calories. I think you will get some great advice from WASA BB, even though her tone may be pretty straight-forward.

I totally understand about the exercise thing too - I dusted off my bicycle yesterday and rode all of 2 MINUTES, but today I managed 8

(but I had to ride 4, rest 4 and ride 4 again).

This is probably really frustrating for all us newbies, but I guess we need to READ, READ, READ the labels of everything we buy. I am just starting my pre-op diet and trying to get all the right Protein Drinks is a pain!!

Straight forward! LOL!! That's a nice way of putting it. Truth is, I'm really a very nice person but nobody can tell from reading my posts. It's true, I know my writing style. My friends have even tried to help me match my writing style to my real personality and they were about to pull their hair out. :)

Regarding exercise... studies show that if you exercise for 8 minutes (all in a row) or 4 minutes twice, you get exactly the same benefit. It doesn't matter if you break up your exercise, you'll get the same benefits regardless.

The idea is to work up a sweat. Just as soon as you need another shower for the day, you've done well. ;)

:):eek::eek:i thought i was reading the labels ok. like i thought, if i recall, the label for the GNC soy Protein was about 5grams of sugar and i cant remember off the top of my head how much carbs but i thought it was low, like under 12:confused:. wow wow wow!!! as far as the chilli, i didnt start eating that so much until i started coming on these types of sites and everyone was saying how good it is and such. wow! oh and the asian chicken salad is made by Don Lee Farms. the nutriton facts says"

serving size 54g

serving per container 18 (i dont see that but whatever...lol)

calories per serving 180

total fat 13g

sat fat 2g, trans fat 0g

sodium 440mg

total carb 9g

sugars 2g

protein 7g

ok...so back to the drawing board i suppose. so now my question is, what should i eat???? i'm totally confused now. so now the Protein Drink is NOT good for me. so what kind of protein drink should i have. i love them. i love making my smoothies w/it. wow, what can i do?:help:

Straight forward! LOL!! That's a nice way of putting it. Truth is, I'm really a very nice person but nobody can tell from reading my posts. It's true, I know my writing style. My friends have even tried to help me match my writing style to my real personality and they were about to pull their hair out. ;)

Regarding exercise... studies show that if you exercise for 8 minutes (all in a row) or 4 minutes twice, you get exactly the same benefit. It doesn't matter if you break up your exercise, you'll get the same benefits regardless.

The idea is to work up a sweat. Just as soon as you need another shower for the day, you've done well. ;)

no, i can tell you're a nice person but in the beginning i was like, well...excuse me!!!:) lol. it kind of sort of made me feel badly at 1st. i'm totally ok now though:)

She...

I just ran your stats through a calorie web site to determine the number of calories you need just to maintain your weight daily. This provides energy for breathing, walking around, lite exercise, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. You have to consume around 2400 calories daily just to maintain. If you want to lose you have to consume less than 2400 calories daily give/take 200 calories.

With restriction I'd stick to around 1000 but that is going to mean cutting back quite a bit.

thank you so much!! i know i can and i want to! i just need to know how. seems like what i have been eating is all wrong! :faint:

:):eek::eek:i thought i was reading the labels ok. like i thought, if i recall, the label for the GNC soy Protein was about 5grams of sugar and i cant remember off the top of my head how much carbs but i thought it was low, like under 12:confused:. wow wow wow!!! as far as the chilli, i didnt start eating that so much until i started coming on these types of sites and everyone was saying how good it is and such. wow! oh and the asian chicken salad is made by Don Lee Farms. the nutriton facts says"

serving size 54g

serving per container 18 (i dont see that but whatever...lol)

calories per serving 180

total fat 13g

sat fat 2g, trans fat 0g

sodium 440mg

total carb 9g

sugars 2g

Protein 7g

ok...so back to the drawing board i suppose. so now my question is, what should i eat???? i'm totally confused now. so now the Protein Drink is NOT good for me. so what kind of protein drink should i have. i love them. i love making my smoothies w/it. wow, what can i do?:help:

Maybe I didn't pick the right product from GNC, I was looking for GNC Cookies & Cream. Maybe they have more than one???

Ever seen Special K Cereal? They have a challenge, eat Special K for a week and lose weight. It's 1/2 cup of Cereal. Who eats a half cup of dry, air-y, flavorless cereal?? Nobody, we eat a few cups of cereal of that type. ;)

What should you eat... that depends on what kind of food plan you prefer. I prefer low carb merely because I feel better on low carb, adequate protein. But I also stick to 600 calories daily. That makes most people cringe including my doc. But it's working for me. Others like low cal/high complex carb, some prefer low fat, some prefer to count calories, some prefer to eat anything they want within reason. So it really depends on what you like.

Maybe I didn't pick the right product from GNC, I was looking for GNC Cookies & Cream. Maybe they have more than one???

Ever seen Special K cereal? They have a challenge, eat Special K for a week and lose weight. It's 1/2 cup of cereal. Who eats a half cup of dry, air-y, flavorless cereal?? Nobody, we eat a few cups of cereal of that type. ;)

What should you eat... that depends on what kind of food plan you prefer. I prefer low carb merely because I feel better on low carb, adequate Protein. But I also stick to 600 calories daily. That makes most people cringe including my doc. But it's working for me. Others like low cal/high complex carb, some prefer low fat, some prefer to count calories, some prefer to eat anything they want within reason. So it really depends on what you like.

i guess the food plan i like is low carbs, high Protein. i hardly eat breads and have about 5-7 crackers as a snack if at all in a day. i just dont know what i should be eating now. it seems like everything i mentioned to you got shot down:think.

what about lunchmeat? i started eating 2 pieces of turkey pastrami as a snack. is that not good? i guess really, in a nutshell, i should just things i that i cook myself. make fresh food with the exception of yogurts, milk, cheeses and such. :). i just need to feel satisfied.

About the crackers and lunchmeat... :) I'm kidding!

Well, kind of. What crackers? The high calorie buttery kind like Club brand? Or just plain saltines? Lunchmeat... the high fat kind or the good quality kind? I'm not really sure, is there a quality lunch meat?? Honestly, I don't know.

What do you think about tuna, mega veggie salads, seafood, veggies for Snacks, Kashi's cereal, veggie chips, dried fruit, fresh fruit, salmon, orange roughy, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed bell peppers, home made Soups w/salad, Pasta sauce over spaghetti squash, grilled chicken breast, nuts, chili with ground turkey instead of ground beef, ... there are lots and lots of food choices.

But I think you are realizing that the foods you happen to enjoy and are fast and easy are pretty well loaded with fat and calories.

As for what food choices you choose, again... you have to decide how you want to approach this. Regular foods in smaller quantities, low carb, high complex carb, low fat, etc. It's personal choice, it's whatever works for you.

About the crackers and lunchmeat... :) I'm kidding!

Well, kind of. What crackers? The high calorie buttery kind like Club brand? Or just plain saltines? Lunchmeat... the high fat kind or the good quality kind? I'm not really sure, is there a quality lunch meat?? Honestly, I don't know.

What do you think about tuna, mega veggie salads, seafood, veggies for Snacks, Kashi's cereal, veggie chips, dried fruit, fresh fruit, salmon, orange roughy, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed bell peppers, home made Soups w/salad, Pasta sauce over spaghetti squash, grilled chicken breast, nuts, chili with ground turkey instead of ground beef, ... there are lots and lots of food choices.

But I think you are realizing that the foods you happen to enjoy and are fast and easy are pretty well loaded with fat and calories.

As for what food choices you choose, again... you have to decide how you want to approach this. Regular foods in smaller quantities, low carb, high complex carb, low fat, etc. It's personal choice, it's whatever works for you.

lol..the lunchmeat and crackers....well, actually you know what, this is something new that i started eating, the lunchmeat that is. in the beginning i would not eat anything processed but since i wasnt noticing a difference in my weight loss i started easing those things in. the crackers i eat are not saltines by no means...lol. i eat townhouse wheat, wheatables multigrain. 5 are like 70 calories. alot of the choices you gave are good ones. i love chicken and like i mentioned i love tilapia. stuffed peppers are good. i havent made that in a long time and i just bought some peppers the other day. i like brocolli, carrots, hate tomatoes..YUCK, and i like spinach. the thing with spinach though is, i havent had it raw. i know i love it cooked in olive oil or a butter substitute etc. maybe i can get to like it raw or with less of the other stuff.

this morning i am having yoplait yogurt light 100 calories

snack-turket pastrami w/fat free cheese

lunch- asian chicken salad:confused:

dinner- i should be having tilapia w/some veggie

Hey there SHE and WAS.

I want to be the voice of the middle ground....:eek: 600 calories would have me falling over, passing out!

My best days are about 1100, but my average is around 1400. SHE, look at my stats. I'm losing...but like WAS I track every bite of food on FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal. It helped me before the band reduce my calories from 3500 to 2400 to 1700 to now around 1400...You really can assess what you put into your mouth. Like granola in yogurt, a personal favorite of mine. But I ruduced the granola by half, saved 100 calories and still got the crunch I wanted. I would have never thought about that without seeing the stats on the screen in front of my face.

I am a lunch meat eater. The lean stuff only. You can get some lean chili, (turkey chili) in cans too, if you look. But be weary of squishy, liquidy food. See the note below about liquid calories.

I am a three meals and two snack eater.

My take on Protein drinks is you should NEVER drink a calorie, unless you've just been filled and you have to be on liquids. You should be chewing your fruit that goes in the smoothies. Part of how the band works is having mass in the stomach, not liquid.

And for exercise, take it slow, but be consistant and try to add to it weekly.

WAS, I feel you about writing "directly". I hope I wasn't offensive.

If I could chime in here for a sec....on your Asian chicken salad....you put down the nutrition information for that. If I could just point out something to you about this. The label reads 18 servings....no matter if you think it is 18 or not, that is what it is. It has 180 calories a serving. That makes this whole container 3,240 calories. THAT IS A LOT OF CALORIES!!! Let alone the 9 g carbs per serving....if you are trying to watch your carbs. I think that is where people get messed up with their calorie counting. They don't look at the NUMBER OF SERVINGS and figure out the correct amount of calories!! I don't know if this is part of the problem or not, but thought I would point this out. If you eat half of the salad one day and half the other day, then you would be getting 1,620 calories a day JUST from eating this salad. Hope that helped, if not, just ignore me....I am used to that anyways...LOL...Deanna

I want to be the voice of the middle ground....:eek: 600 calories would have me falling over, passing out!

You know what? This is another "fat myth" that many believe. As long as you get your basic nutrition in you will not be tired. After your body is done burning glucose and carbs it starts burning fat and fat *is* stored energy. If what you say is true than anytime you burn fat you will be exhausted. It's another 70's myth we were taught and it has been believed and passed down from one generation to another.

It's the same as starvation mode. There is no such thing. I've yet to find a medical source will defend that one when it comes to dieting. Starvation mode is what little children in Africa experience after not eating more than 200 calories every few days for their entire lives. Cutting calories while dieting is not starvation mode. The human body doesn't hang on to fat, it doesn't keep fat and not expend energy (unless there is a different medical problem), it doesn't do a LOT of things we were taught in the 70s.

My take on Protein drinks is you should NEVER drink a calorie, unless you've just been filled and you have to be on liquids. You should be chewing your fruit that goes in the smoothies. Part of how the band works is having mass in the stomach, not liquid.

That is true if you are hungry. If I drink a Protein drink I'm not hungry and don't need to eat for 4 hours or so. This is where bandster rules come into play. I don't consider them hard and fast rules that *must* be followed, I consider them guidelines. We all have to do what works and Protein Drinks don't work for you, they don't work for a lot of people. But they work very well for me.

And for exercise, take it slow, but be consistant and try to add to it weekly.

I agree completely!

If I could chime in here for a sec....on your Asian chicken salad....you put down the nutrition information for that. If I could just point out something to you about this. The label reads 18 servings....no matter if you think it is 18 or not, that is what it is. It has 180 calories a serving. That makes this whole container 3,240 calories. THAT IS A LOT OF CALORIES!!! Let alone the 9 g carbs per serving....if you are trying to watch your carbs. I think that is where people get messed up with their calorie counting. They don't look at the NUMBER OF SERVINGS and figure out the correct amount of calories!! I don't know if this is part of the problem or not, but thought I would point this out. If you eat half of the salad one day and half the other day, then you would be getting 1,620 calories a day JUST from eating this salad. Hope that helped, if not, just ignore me....I am used to that anyways...LOL...Deanna

Wow... You know, I caught the "18 servings" part when I read what was posted previously but I didn't actually calculate it for the entire product. You're right, it puts a whole new twist on it!

You know what? This is another "fat myth" that many believe. As long as you get your basic nutrition in you will not be tired. After your body is done burning glucose and carbs it starts burning fat and fat *is* stored energy. If what you say is true than anytime you burn fat you will be exhausted. It's another 70's myth we were taught and it has been believed and passed down from one generation to another.

It's the same as starvation mode. There is no such thing. I've yet to find a medical source will defend that one when it comes to dieting. Starvation mode is what little children in Africa experience after not eating more than 200 calories every few days for their entire lives. Cutting calories while dieting is not starvation mode. The human body doesn't hang on to fat, it doesn't keep fat and not expend energy (unless there is a different medical problem), it doesn't do a LOT of things we were taught in the 70s.

I hear you, I don't think I'd literally pass out, but truth be told I exercise off the charts. I bike 20-25 miles a few times a week on top of hitting the gym 5 times a week. I feel, think, am guessing that my body is HUNGRY when it's hungry and I'm going to feed it. Mind you with healthy food....but I digress.

My point is/was one doesn't need to reduce calories to such a low number and still lose wieght. Certainly one will lose more quickly with fewer calories, but like I don't expect all banded people to cycle 100 miles a week, it's the the exception, not the rule. 600 calories is exceptional.

You go girl.

My point is/was one doesn't need to reduce calories to such a low number and still lose wieght. Certainly one will lose more quickly with fewer calories, but like I don't expect all banded people to cycle 100 miles a week, it's the the exception, not the rule. 600 calories is exceptional.

You go girl.

Oh, I agree! Most don't want to do 600 calories daily just like most don't want to bike 100 miles weekly. But I think you and I might be similar in the sense that I want the "fat" chapter of my life CLOSED! For good! I want to be rid of fat and quickly. Actually, it can't BE fast enough! HA!