Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Southern Jersey...Anybody?

Hi I am from Williamstown, Gloucester County and also had my surgery at Kennedy in Stratford by Dr. Balsama. Its great to hear about others who got "banded" by Dr. Balsama...he is very young and nice. I just got banded 10/2/08....let me know about the "fill" I still don't need one but probably will..good luck

Hi Lola,

I love Dr. Balsama lol he is great he is so young and he is cute lol

Everyone at Kennedy treated me so awesome. You were just bamded, right? How are you feeling?

I feel great just getting use to my first fill and on my second week of it and learning to chew chew chew and eat so very slow. So when you read about eating slow and chewing believe it....I already have eaten to fast and my food has been stuck were I had to bring it back up. This week I am doing better, even though it's just Monday. I have allot to learn on eating slow.

Hope your doing well.

Lisa

Hey Lisalift...yes I was just banded on 10/2/08 and still pretty much on liquids..though I have had some yogurt and cottage cheese..which I have always liked, so it was not a sacrifice. I am just now beginning to get hungry for some real food and I can't wait to my follow up appointment with Dr. Balsama on 10/22/08 to see about my first fill. I guess there is no swelling now and I don't feel restricted like I first use too. Though I like Dr. Balsama, I wasn't 100% satisfied with my particular nurse..but you win some and lose some..and who knows she may have been having an off day.

How long have you been banded? How much have you lost? Write back soon! Blanca a/k/a "Lola"

Hello Blanca,

Nice name. I was banded on Aug 5th. I didn't have to diet before at all, and I didn't I ate what I wanted up until three days of my surgery. I was fine after, very sore. My port was sore for a long time. I dropped 17lbs before my first fill. I was just over 200 lbs when I had my band put in, just made it with ins. By the time my 6 week came I was hungry just like I never had the band put in. I went to see Dr. Balsama to see when my first fill will be on my 6th wek and I had two wait two weeks because he was on vaca err. I was a wreck, I was hungry and unhappy. I delt with it but I was nervous I would eat and gain weight. But I did it I actually lost another 1 lb 1/2. Oct 3rd I was filled at Kennedy Surgical in Washington Twp. It was great and everyone was great. I was scared and didn't know what to expect. But it was so nothing getting filled it was great. All the nurses and Dr. Balsama had me laughing and they all made me feel so awesome. I waited for my turn longer then my fill time. I have lost inches allot of inches for the first time...I don't have a scale just WII Fit lol and I haven't weighed myself. I think I am going to wait until this Saturday to see what I lost. I really hate the scale....if I have one here I will weigh myself everyday and every time I look at it lol. All my clothes are big on me....I don't wear an XL shirt anymore, of course my boobs went down lol but oh well. I go to the gym a few times a week too. But losing inches that was allot for me, I haven't lost inches in so long.

Is your port sore? it took me a long while before it stopped being sore....I can feel it...I feel it all the time. Weird to have that in you. I found out that I am the fastest eater ever, lol This is a big learning process for me. I got sick like three times from not eating slow and chewing very solw and there are stuff you just can't eat. You will see but it's great. Let me know how you are doing. You can email me on my email if you want.

Lisa

Hello everyone! Well, I'm 11 days out, feeling pretty much back to normal, and down 14.5 pounds. Awesome. I'm so glad I made this decision. Just to see the scale creeping back down makes me wanna sing, dance, laugh, and cry all at once. I'm still stuck on liquids (Yuck) for another 2 and a half weeks but I'm not feeling hunger so it's been more bearable day by day. Today I'm starting to walk for my 30 minute lunchtime with a friend so all the better. Hope everyone else is doing well! Take care, Julie

Hi!! Im so glad I found this thread! I am also from SJ. Pittsgrove (my property is on both Salem and Cumberland Counties!) I have not been banded yet, however I hope that the posibility is in the near future. I have been researching Drs that my insurance covers, and I am considering Dr. Gus Slotman from Cherry Hill NJ. He is part of the Lourdes Medical Associates. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of him? (:rolleyes2: or :blush:) I actually Googled him to see what I could find, and I found nothing but positive reviews. I have BC/BS NJ Health Insurance, and I was wondering if anyone else had that and could tell me how difficult it was to get approved. I called them, and they told me it was covered, but I needed a letter of Medical Necessity from my Doc. So if anyone has any suggestions for me, that would be BEAUTIFUL, as i kinda feel overwhelmed. Choosing to get surgery is kinda a big deal.

Hey Lisafitz, sorry for no answering but had not had the chance to get to the computer..at any rate, yes my port is sore and feels swollen..its the only part of my body that really hurts most of the time. I have another appointment with Dr. Balsama on 11/19/08, at which time, he had said I may be scheduled for my first fill. So I am looking forward to that since I don't feel as restricted. Though since my surgery I have lost 24lbs!!! (from 243lbs to 219lbs) I am so excited and yet weary, always thinking that I am going to screw this up like I always do. But, trying to stay positive at the same time..How are you doing after your first fill?? Did you weigh yourself yet?? Hope your doing great...again sorry for the delay in answering you...but life takes over sometime, hope you understand...looking forward to hearing from you..God Bless...Blanca

hi all! i am from south jersey too- gloucester county. my doctor is dr. manigat out of voorhees. i got my surgery oct. 30th and i am back 2 work already. not as much recovery as i thought. good luck to every1!

hi julie, i got my surgery 5 days ago and i am already sick of the clear liquids...lol. the doc told me i can start full liquids on friday.. yeah for pudding! great work with the 14lbs! i am down 12 myself and whoa what a good feeling. good luck with everything!

Hello Blanka,

It's okay I don't come on here as I use to....I check it out see what people are saying and get off. I am on and off. lol

I am at 20 lbs and I think it bothers me. I feel I should have lost more weight then this already. I feel restricted on something and other foods I don't. I workout allot...between Latin dancing and hip-hop Monday nights (2 hours) and Wii Fit like almost every morning for 30 mins and Belly dancing Thursday nights and in between that just plan old gym you would think I would be down in weight...but no. I did lose inches...but still. I called the Dr. Balsama's office yesterday to talk to Kelly the nurse there and let her know how I feel. I don't think I am eating wrong...I don't write down thou. If I eat something too fast or too big it just comes back up anyway. It's too early for another fill, so I have to see when she calls me back. It seems my weight is just staying there I started at 216 lbs and just down to 196 lbs since Aug 5th. I must be doing something wrong. I think I need to write down and I hate that. I don't eat over my 1 cup 1/2 I have had some junk but nothing that would matter. I eat as healthy as I can. But some days I feel so hungry other days I have to force myself to eat. I just don't know. I here that it takes a while to reach your "sweet spot" whatever that is. I hear it takes awhile for your body to adjust. My clothes are loose and I am fitting into clothes that I haven't fit into in a very long time. But weight wise I feel I should be down. lol sorry venting on myself lol I hope all is good for you. Did you get filled yet and how do you feel?

Dr Balsama didn't let me go back to work for three weeks. I can't believe you went back to work already. How do you feel?

I just found out that my insurance does work with Dr Balsama. Do you know the Hosp that he uses? The Insurance comp told me Stratford, and Cherry Hill (Lourdes). Thanks so much!!

Riane226, I have BC/BS of Nj also. They made me jump through alot of hoops and didn't send me my approval until 5 days before surgery but they did pay for everything in full. I think they just make you go through so much to make sure you're serious, lol. Let me know if you have any specific questions! Good luck! Julie

Yes he is with Stratford Kennedy and Lourdes. I went to Stratford...I did everything there all my doctor app I had to have everything. Booth, Lab everything. It was real close for me. Plus he is such a handsome and very very nice doctor and Kelly his nurse is so sweet and nice. Your in Salem Cty I guess Lourdes would be closer. But go for it, he is really wonderful. I see him on the 19th. Good Luck keep me posted

Lisa

Yeah they do make you go though so much....all summer that's all I did my ins paid for everything